Snowmageddon

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Ink and Pixels, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Ink and Pixels

Ink and Pixels Active Member

Anyone in the northeastern US expecting the 2+ feet of snow tonight? I'm in NH and people are in snow mode (and we are pretty used to it around here!) lots of cancellations already. My office is closing at noon today. This should be interesting if we get what they are saying. It's been awhile since we've had this much! SNOW DAY!

2. Kim Gehring

Kim Gehring It's all about the 3-Cs: coffee, caramel, claw

IMO the only good thing about snow is getting off work. :p Here in Maryland we got some freezing rain out of this storm, but temps have warmed above freezing so it's just rain now. I'll be curious to see how much snow you guys end up getting. Two feet is alot!

3. Ink and Pixels

Me too! I've been skeptical because everytime they have predicted a big storm in the last several years it's been a bust! I'll report back. :)

4. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

We're getting all kinds of mixed reports here, too! It's raining where I work near the Jersey Shore, but there was snow at my house north of here. I hope it's not too bad!

5. Ink and Pixels

They are telling us to be off the roads by 2pm.. My sister finally was scheduled for storm duty (works for local power company). She is my gauge on weather - now I'm starting to believe it... And I didn't really prepare. Eeeks!

6. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I remember when we had the "snowpocalypse" in Arkansas winter 2011. We'd had a prediction of snow (which in Arkansas weather could mean a dusting, a couple inches, or nada). As the snow came in, predictions changed. Although no one really knew, b/c at my house, we ended up with 18 inches of snow. That was insane for us, most snow we'd ever had. There was no way to know that it would be that much b/c no one predicted it. Chances are if they did predict it, we'd have had a couple inches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI66uffzKgE&feature=youtu.be
    and part two... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLuqSlq6Dmg&feature=youtu.be

and the snow itself... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp08B50NvFg&feature=youtu.be

So much fun to see this thread and pull out the old memories. I hope if the snow does pan out this time that at least the power stays on for everyone.

7. blinks14

blinks14 The wine made me do it!

I'm in PA and they have been predicting snow for us. But now they think we might just get rain. Hahaha. At one point they told us a foot. They even sent kids home from school early, still just rain. I just need to make it work for the night.

8. Ink and Pixels

I'm home and everyone is starting to hunker down.. I *might* even believe it this time! We are getting one smaller storm that is supposed to drop 3-6 inches today and then a second one 12-24 inches! Stay tuned for some pics later in the weekend!

Kat - fun videos! I'm sure it was neat to have that much snow when you don't normally get any. Your kitty must have been thinking what in the world is this stuff!

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I kind of miss getting good ole snowstorms like this. it's been several years since we've had a big snowstorm, but at least we did get some snow last week for the kids to play in.

I hope that if you guys on the East coast do get snow, it's in the fun pretty fluffy way and not in any dangerous way. Post pics if you gets some good snow!

10. TeaWithLemon

TeaWithLemon Well-Known Member

I work in Philly, and they closed our office early - and it's not even raining! Sweet that I got to leave early, but it was so not necessary. I trained it home to the 'burbs, and the trains are running on time, there's no rain, and its fairly warm. We're supposed to get 3-6 inches tonight, but its certainly not cold enough now. I'll believe it when I see it.

11. Helen

Helen I need some balls.

Might sound wierd but I am jealous!!!! Since I moved to the Netherlands they get waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to little snow!! Get about 10cm and they freak out and go in code red :thinking2:circles c'monnnnnn I'm used to much much more from my time in ILL nad NY LOL and I miss that! esp with my kids!! Kate keeps asking when we can finally make a snowman... last time we tried that was 2 winters ago but it wasn't sticky snow... :rollingpin

And what are we getting this week??? Lottts of big fluffy snow flakes = 5cm snow = melts = hazard roads to bike on (bicycles are the wheels over here) with a kid on front and back :scared pfff

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  12. Ink and Pixels

5am here and the wind and snow has been whipping around all night. They weren't wrong about this one! Ill head out later (although its supposed to go through 4pm) for some pictures!

13. nativescrapper

nativescrapper nativescrapper

I live on the western side of the states, this morning we only got about 2" of snow and its windy, but we hardly ever get anything big at all. I hope everyone on the eastside stays warm and safe :)

14. TeaWithLemon

TeaWithLemon Well-Known Member

So after all of the fuss, we ended up with maybe an inch, maybe 2.

15. snaggletooth

snaggletooth Minnetonka? Momma? Either way.

30-32 inches here!
    [​IMG]
    My driveway
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  16. Ink and Pixels

We got over 2 feet of snow.. there was lots of drifting so more in some spots less in others. Here are some pics of the snow cleanup. Snaggletooth - we must live close! Looks like you have may have gotten more than us.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  17. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Wow, Carly and Nicole!!! That is just an insane amount of snow. Thanks for sharing the pics. My hubby and I have both been waxing nostalgic about how fun it was when we lived in places that got great snowstorms like this one. I hope you're having enjoying it and staying warm!

18. snaggletooth

snaggletooth Minnetonka? Momma? Either way.

HAHA I think we do

19. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

The foot we got is nothing in comparison! Wow!!! Stay warm!

20. Helen

Helen I need some balls.

wow that rocks Carly! can't see your pic Nicole

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013