Snickerdoodles!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Frumpje, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

I so love the name! I ones read it was a Dutch word... well... I don't think it is, because I don't know any Belgian or dutch people that know it...

But who can give me the best recipe? I tried making it a few times allready but most times they look more like pancakes (taste is yummie) of stay in form but are a bit to dry... I know I ones make very good ones, but can't find that recipe anymore. I do have cream of tartar in my home (which is almost impossible to find over here ;-) )

So who can help? :-D

2. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i'm embarrassed to say i've never made them. i think i'm just an old fashioned chocolate chip cookie kind of girl.

MrsPeel and enjoyyourpix like this.
  4. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

These are my son's all-time FAVORITE cookies (and they only use basic staple ingredients, so we always have what we need whenever we want to make them)..

2 C flour
    1-1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 C butter, softened (I replace with coconut oil more often than not.. cookies turn out great with another layer of flavor)
    1 C white sugar
    3 Tbs maple syrup
    1 egg

1/2 C white sugar
    1/4 C maple or brown sugar

Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together butter and 1C white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and maple syrup. Blend in dry ingredients until just mixed. In a small dish, mix together remaining 1/2 C white sugar and maple sugar (add a bit of cinnamon, too, if you like). Roll dough into 1 inch balls, then roll in sugar mixture. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Cookies will crack on top and look doughy in the middle. Remove and cool on wire racks.

Yum! :D

jesskab likes this.
  5. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

i love snickerdoodles (even though I am a choco chip girl!!). Years ago, Starbucks had a snickerdoodles cookie. I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE getting a cookie and a mocha. I was devastated when they discontinued them!!!

6. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

My husband loves Snickerdoodles. I'll have to try that recipe @sm_amber ! Right now, I have some Star Wars sugar cookie dough in the fridge. I think I might just bake those up now. Mmm, cookies.

7. icindi

icindi Active Member

My Mom always loved snickerdoodles. I still make them. Our recipe called for cream of tartar, an unusual ingredient!

8. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

These are my favorite cookies of all time the history of ever! My sister makes the best ones and I don't dare try to make them or she will quit making them for me. :giggle If you want...I can ask her for the recipe and tell her it's for a friend lol

9. Frumpje

Love it that you call me your friend! :D You can ask her offcourse... maybe you should give her my e-mailadress so it stays a secret to you :D

10. Frumpje

Well I bought it to make snickerdoodles, so you sure can give me the recipe :D

11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

My mom always made the recipe out of the Betty Crocker cookbook, and it is yummy! I'll post it after the kids are off to school.

Frumpje likes this.
  12. Frumpje

Here kids are home again... making ready for Judo and bed ;-)

13. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I had to look into this. :giggle Apparently no one knows where it comes from, so people are just guessing that it could come from Dutch or German. The story that seems more plausible to me is that it's from New England (US). It's a nonsense word that makes for a fun cookie name. It doesn't need to be more complicated than that :)

14. Frumpje

Well, mine looked the same... more flat than how I want them (and learned to know them)

15. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

My hubby's favorite cookie! Here is ours

1 c. butter softened
    1 1/4c. sugar
    2 eggs
    2 3/4 c. flour
    2 t. cream of tartar
    1 t. baking soda
    1/4 t. salt

1 T. ground cinnamon
    2 T sugar

Beat butter 1 1/4 cup sugar till light and fluffy, beat in the eggs until blended. Add 1 cup flour the cream of tartar baking soda and salt, stir in the remaining 1 3/4 c. flour to make a firm dough.
    In a small bowl combine the 2 T. sugar and 1 T. cinnamon set aside. Shape dough into balls I just use my cookie scoop to measure then add 3 at a time into the sugar/cinnamon to roll around and place on the cookie sheet.

oven 400 bake for 10-12 minutes

If you want my mother in law's used 1/2 c. Crisco and 1/2 c. butter.

I personally just like all butter.

Frumpje likes this.
  16. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Frumpje likes this.
  17. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Oooh - thanks for these recipes! I love snickerdoodles and I love to try new cookie recipes. This year I'm doing #cookiesunday... meaning I will bake cookies every Sunday this year :) I want to do a different recipe each week too, just for fun and because sugar.

klee73010, sm_amber and Sokee like this.
  18. loridigi

loridigi Just call me badass

19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I giggled out loud! Because sugar. Absolutely!

My friend makes my favorite snickerdoodles. And thank you so much for this thread! I saw that you posted, and said "Self, you need to find that recipe so you can share it". And I went looking for it. And couldn't find it anywhere! But then, I remembered I scrapped it at one time. Thank goodness for the .psd file because that's the only place I can find it right now! Not sure where the original scan/jpeg ended up.
    I'll be back to share it soon!

Frumpje likes this.
  20. Frumpje

I made your recipe today, but if you think all ingredients were in are home... think again... I forgot to buy new white Sugar, so added the last bit I had and used dark brown to fill the rest up and... they came out delicious!!! Thank you so much for your recipe! Kids are stuffing themselfs now ;-). :D

lorryfach likes this.