smells | pad patter 7.16.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Jul 16, 2019.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I have a sensitivity to smells. Especially perfumey, flowery smells. It's so bad that if I'm exposed to certain smells, I get all itchy and get a headache. I have to be careful about the smells in shampoo, detergent, deodorant, etc. All products used by my family have to be smell approved by me.

DD went to Bath and Body Works with her friends and came back with some stuff that isn't mom smell approved. I can't even go into that store because of all the smells. I have to hold my breath to walk past it in the mall.

Last night without me knowing, she used the contraband bodyspray in my bathroom and oh boy did it do a number on me! I had to put vicks vapor rub under my nose so I could clean every surface in the bathroom to get the smell out!

I can't be the only one who is sensitive to smells can I? Are you sensitive to smells or know someone who is?

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

yep, i can relate - the most extreme recent example that comes to mind is how glad i was that DS has 'levelled up' in swimming so i won't have to encounter the woman i think of as 'the perfume warrior' during changeover times!

the first time i encountered her, the family showed up half an hour early for their kids class (which i figured out was after DS's timeslot) and she sat next to me, cue instant headache and i thought i was either going to have my head explode, throw up or pass out - y'know that personal space bubble we all have?! it was like hers was a voluminous cloud and using the 'overwhelming power of scent' was her super power and far out, i didn't know how her husband and kids that were all with her could stand it - and then i realised her husband, sitting on the other side of her, had what i can only justify as his own defensive cloud of fragrance (much like your vicks vapour rub) and so i was getting the multiplied effect. DD was sitting on the other side of me and didn't have such a reaction to it but did say she noticed it and why was that amount of perfume necessary?

Fortunately she didn't try to talk to me (b/c i really thought if i opened my mouth i might be sick) but i was so grateful when DS's classs finished and we could leave (i didn't want to be rude and move to another seat but so wished she'd sat elsewhere); and for subsequent months we chose our seating strategically! i know, the extremes we go to and how wonderful life must be to not have to overthink even where one sits during their kid's swimming lesson!

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I have terrible sensitivity to perfume and any strong floral odors, too. There's one brand of Estee Lauder (I think it's called Estee) that makes me instantly sick. I can't believe people still wear strong perfume/lotion/etc. Most of the medical buildings here have signs up asking people not to wear strong perfumes/lotions because so many people are allergic to them. I can't stand to go into Bath & Body Works anymore either. My DD bought some room freshener recently and sprayed it and I told her to throw it away. There are only a couple of candle scents that I can stand too. Vanilla is one scent that makes me nauseous, too.

4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Yes! No scented candles = instant headache and stuffiness
    No perfumes in dryer sheets = rash like you get with poison ivy and it itches too
    No lemongrass = instant headache
    No lavender in large amounts - I once diffused it and woke up with the rash all over my neck and face

I can not wash my clothes with my son's clothes as he uses Old Spice. Enough of it transferred to my shorts that I broke out around the waist - where the fabric pressed into my skin.

One hotel I stayed in caused me to get the rash on my check from the pillow. Another time, I broke out head to toe, even had itchy spots on my scalp. They were spraying our sheets with perfume every day, but I did not know I was allergic at that time.

5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I’m not, but there are certain smells that do give me a headache. I don’t like to go in perfume stores or Bath and Body works at all!

My good friend, who is also the teacher assistant in my classroom, is highly sensitive. Perfumes, air fresheners, body spray...all trigger her asthma. Working with teenagers, we have to do a lot of reminding. They love the smelly stuff.

6. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Nope, smell is my least sensitive sense. I generally don't notice unless it's a particularly strong scent.

7. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I so relate to this...my fiance calls me hound dog, because my sense of smell is so good, for better and for worse! LOL!
    I have allergic rhinitis, so this is my worst reaction, I start to sneeze and a itchiness in my face, specially. Other than that, if it's a strong scent, I get nausea, too...I hate strong scents, foral, passion fruit, and some cleaning stuff with too much smells just make me sneeze!

8. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I have a strong olfactory system! I don't have adverse reactions like yours, Kayla @keepscrappin , with the exception of a headache from gasoline, bleach, all aerosol sprays except Febreze. When I would volunteer in the infant room, I could spot a stinky diaper from across the room, lol!
    [​IMG]
    Not my favorite skill!

9. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I buy everything unscented. I've lost most of my sense of smell but still react to some of it.

10. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I am sensitive to smells, but I ADORE flowery feminine scents. I don't have any adverse reactions to smells, but I do feel revulsion at some smells that I just can't stand.

11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I can sympathize! I get instantaneous migraines when I smell perfumes, strong floral scents such as lilacs, lilies, and paperwhites, Lysol pine cleaner, and the like. Many of them are also asthma triggers, along with cigarette smoke. Thankfully I don't break out in a rash, but the smells themselves do enough damage!

Once I went to the Kennedy Center and sat among a group of little old ladies who had piled on their perfumes. The mix of them was enough for me to ask the usher if there were other seats available, for my head was splitting apart. It's one of the reasons I dread going to performances.

For some reason I'm not bothered by men's fragrances.