Smartphones

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Kate W, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

I have never been much of a mobile phone user. I lost mine in March and haven't replaced it yet! It was about 5 yrs old and pretty basic.

But I love my laptop and my tablet and apps, and I like the idea of a smartphone. I want a decent camera and good sound, so I can play music and audiobooks.

So hit me with it - what's the best smartphone? Let's say that I would like value for money, but I don't mind paying for something that will last and has everything I want...

Tell me any problems you've had, too...I want all the info!!

2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Hmm.... i have samsung galaxy s5. It's fairly common here in the states. I love my camera. The sound is okay, but I admit I don't know much about it. Sound wasn't a contributing factor to my phone desicion. (Camera and wifi were my biggest things, and price)

It's a decent size fit for my hand, not too big or small. Seems to run all my apps without issue.

As far as price. I got mine on a promotion for what I considered to be a good price ($200 something, I believe). My two phones before this were Motorolas. I didn't mind them, but again, they were the pick because of promotions.

I have an aversion to apple products, simply because of their proprietary stuff. .. you can't use any "normal" charger or software, because there's an apple requirement. I refuse to have iTunes, so that would take away any music or any media for me. Some people have a great fondness for Apple. The only down side I have to android is app development. ... apparently, apps for Android are harder to develop, so I'm stuck waiting for developers on really cool things.... like Becky Higgins Project Life app, or many used for app scrapping (however, I'm not a pocket scrapper any way, so this really is a bad example to use in my case!!)

Big name apps/companies get android apps pretty quickly, so this isn't that much of an impact for me.

You mentioned having a tablet.... i personally love that my phone and tablet are almost interchangeable. I can't call or text from my tablet, but all my apps are almost the same. I don't think I'd want different platforms/operating systems for my devices. If I purchase movie, music, book etc on one, I want to be able to access it on the other.

3. Kate W

Thanks Kristina.

I was looking at the samsung, it's good to have positive feedback on it!
    Your views on Apple are the same as mine!!

4. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I'm another S5 user and love it. The camera is really great - I read extensive articles comparing 10-12 different phones and this came out in the top 3-5 in all of them as far as the camera is concerned. When I got it a year ago it was actually the top of the field for sound processing. It charges super fast and holds a charge for a really long time. That has decreased as it's gotten older, but that's expected from any piece of hardware. The nice thing is that now that the S6 is available, I'm guessing the 5 will be pretty cheap - relatively speaking - most places.

5. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Samsung here too but an S4. I also love how it works in well with my samsung tablet.

6. klee73010

My tablet is a nexus. Not a Samsung. But i wonder if that makes much of a difference between android brands?? I'm not sure. Just curious if my linking between devices would be different if I had a Samsung tablet. Haha.

7. klee73010

My husband has a moto X .... the "design your own" own. He mostly likes it, but is starting to wonder about new ones due to the age. (Not holding charge, resetting frequently for no reason.) Personally, his phone is just too small for my taste. It's weird (to me) that it works for him, because my husband is huge. (6'5!) How can his large hands find that small phone to be a good fit?! Lol but, to each their own :)

8. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

A windows phone ! there are new ones out since I got mine, but I love it, the camera is good ( even better on the newer ones) It looks and behaves like a smaller version of your laptop, is fun and dead easy to use ,sound is good ,use mine as an mp3 player ,windows store has lots of free apps you can add to it, games , notebooks , maps ,whatever ( can you tell I love it ? LOL )

9. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I also have a Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 1020). I got it for the camera and honestly didn't really care about the rest as long as I could open a web browser. The camera is amazing, and I ended up falling in love with the rest of the phone as well. I only had iPhones before so I can't compare to Android but I would definitely not go back to an iPhone. There aren't as many apps for Windows but I don't really need that many apps. I can Instagram and Facebook, check the weather, listen to audiobooks, etc. I'm good.

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Alright... I guess I have to be the Apple fangirl and pipe in for my iPhone.... which I love. I have the big fat one, iPhone 6 Plus which I love. I read all my books on my phone, so the bigger size was really nice for that. I also love it for browsing online, netflix and checking my over filled camera. The extra size is super size. The only time I don't like the bigger size is when I'm going for a walk and I used to have an armband to take the phone with me and track my walks. This one is a little too big to lug around for that. Finally I have to say that the pictures I've been getting have been phenomenal. So much so that I finally have quick taking my big camera with me places, even on my last vacation I used my iPhone exclusively.

Also, I just want to mention that you do not have to have iTunes to listen to music on your iPhone. I haven't used iTunes in years because... yes, it's the worst software known to man. Lol. Everything you purchase can be accessed straight from your phone. I guess if you own mp3s you would have to use iTunes to transfer those... but I don't do that, so it's not a problem. Mostly I just listen to Pandora or Spotify for music anymore so I don't have to purchase anything. I also use it to get books on CD from the library too.

I just like my iPhone because everything just works. I don't have the need to custimize apps or anything like that, I just want to get an app and use it and have it work and it does. I also love (like couldn't live without) the calendar on my phone that syncs with my Google calendar. Its a joke between my hubby and I that we don't know where we are supposed to be if we can't look at our phones. The only downside to Apple in my opinion is the price. They are ridiculously priced, but I'm hooked now and can't quit! :giggle

11. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Karen spoke for me. :giggle 90% of it is what I would type. Not the calendar part yet, but give us time! :)

and yes... it replaced my tablet.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  12. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Windows Phone and Android both have Google-syncing calendars too, and on Windows Phone I don't even have to open the app to see what's coming up. I do love my LiveTiles.

13. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I have a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. I love it. It's fully waterproof, it has a very large battery life, and is pretty. But I mostly bought it for it's camera. All my actual photocameras have been Sonys and it's very nice to have the same system on my Cybershot and phone. It takes excellent photos!

[video]https://youtu.be/fTflOPSyWg0[/video]

I've had a Hyawai before because I didn't care too much about branding but I have to be honest and say that this was a very poor decision on my part. It stopped properly working within the first year. Ugh, talk about wasting money...

14. Kate W

ooh Ladies, you have given me so much to consider!

I also hate ITunes!! It han't put me off the Iphone too much, but it's god to know that the Iphone has all the functions that I would use!

I am going to have to do some more research on deals, so here's hoping I can find a bargain!!

15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Karen said exactly what I would as well, except I have the 6 and not the 6+ (DH has that one, it was just a bit too big for me but I might consider it next time). I don't use iTunes either and don't really keep music stored on my phone at all. I usually just use Spotify or Pandora. I had an Android before the iPhone, and at this point, I won't even consider going back. The iPhone just works better for me. The biggest thing I found when I switched was that things that took me 2 or 3 different steps to complete on the Android, I could do in one on the iPhone. But that was like 3 or 4 years ago, so I can't speak for how new generations are. My son and daughter both switched to Galaxy s5's and I have played with them some, but I still love my iPhone.

16. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

I am not sure I will be much help as I just came out of one of those flip phones....like Star Trek. Beam me up Scotty. Bwhahahaha. True story.
    I have a Note 4. Love love love! Everyone in our house, including 2 college kids have the Galaxy S, but even my husband switch over to the Note after playing with mine for a few days.
    The bad, I never take my camera anywhere. The cameras on these bad boys are amazing.
    The good. I love the stylus, speed and app capability.

I wish you luck :)

17. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

am afraid am no use to you on this one....
    I had an Ericsson from , probably 10 years ago? nothing in it but texting and talking, a very blurry camera, but I never used it.
    Someone gave me a Blackberry type one but not smart phone, my hands are too clumsy plus I never leave my house...when I do is with Sarita who has an iPhone...dont ask me which one, this time she paid for it herself! so I know nooooothing LOL

I get tempted for the snap chat - whatsup and instant camera things...but as we have no money....no smart anything will come into my hands in the near future LOL

18. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

Tried the Samsung Galaxy 5 and wanted to love it, tried really hard to love it but found the iPhone easier to operate (had an iPhone 5) so went back to Apple and got the iPhone 6 which I love. Have an I Pad mini but I also have a Samsung tablet which I like.

19. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

My first smartphone is the iPhone 6. I have no other to judge it against so I guess I like it. Just saw a class today on Creative Live on how to take better photos with the iPhone (any smartphone, actually) and learned a few things about my phone's camera. A GREAT app the photographer loves (a paid app, $3-4 range) is Photogene. It can do some of the things lightroom and PS do.

20. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I *heart* my iPhone. it's currently a 6+ but I've loved them all... started with a 3 b/c it's the 1st one I was eligible for once Verizon (finally) started carrying them (remember those dark days before verizon carried iPhones *shudder* :giggle ).

I started my smart phone life with a Blackberry, then several random (mostly) motorola phones, but I will never switch from my iPhone. That said... the windows phones have come a long way and are probably just as great and many folks love them (as you can see from the comments above). I'm just satisfied with what I have so it's all I can really recommend. Note: we have all Apple products in our house so it's too easy to sync. Note2: if someone gave me a top of the line Galaxy and offered to pay for the bill each month, I'd consider switching, LOL. Full disclosure.