Smartphone App Organization

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by SeattleSheri, Apr 15, 2021.

1. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I feel silly even posting this, but I just spent an hour organizing the apps on my phone, lol :lol I've been using an iPhone for years, but haven't been very diligent about keeping things organized.

My phone holds 24 apps per "page" plus the 4 in the dock. I had 7 or 8 pages of apps :D I'm down to a little over two (including the home page). I neatly organized everything by categories and I deleted a bunch of apps I never use. I almost exclusively use the apps on my home screen and use the search function for things I don't use as often, but it still makes me feel a lot better now that it's all properly organized.

So how organized are you with your apps? Do you have a specific method that works for you?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    AJK likes this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

iPhone user here too. I’ve got about 2 pages of apps and most are in folders. I did have them all spread out in the beginning but once they took over 3 pages I started using folders more.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  3. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I don't organize them. I delete them ( you can always put the back on again if you miss them ,- that has happened maybe 1 time in all the years lol) , it not a problem on my Samsung phone, nothing is connected to the function of the phone itself.
    But I treated my self to an IPad recently , and since it does not have a very big memory one of the first things I did, was delete some Apps. Not realizing that they are actually connected in some way either to the performance of the IPad it self ,or your ability to download stuff on it ( I-Tunes being 1 and some messenger service being an other ) I can't remember exactly what, but I did finish up having to go to the Apple store, to do a reset.... So if I-Phones work on the same principle I can see you having to use folders.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I used to be really diligent about creating and using folders. But ever since the update with the App Library, I just keep my like 12 most used apps on the main screen (+ the 4 in the dock) and everything else is only in the library in categories. I can swipe to it and for the most part see everything I use most often or I just have to type a letter or two in the search bar and find things quickly. I have a serious aversion to multiple screens lol.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have minimal apps on my iphone. I just have the front page and half on the second and again they are minimal and necessity ones... except my Harry Potter game :)

Nemla, SeattleSheri and HavaDrPepper like this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Same as @cfile. Minimal apps and looking at what is on there, I see some I can take off the home screen. I wouldn't delete the app, just get to it another way. I have an Android so I did put all of the Google apps in a folder on the home screen. Can't say I have ever used it though. I really don't use my phone apps for much. Most used is an auto mileage tracking program and the WalMart app to scan my receipts. My phone is used to text and make phone calls.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Yeah. I'm weird. I have one page of apps. I search if I can't find it. But usually, don't have an issue.

image0.png

AJK and SeattleSheri like this.
  8. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

I have 5 category folders across the top of my screen, and then my other, miscellaneous, most-used apps on the second screen (not in folders). Anything else I just do a quick search for.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My home screen doesn't have anything on it except for the 5 apps at the bottom - phone/text/Google Chrome/Google Photos/camera - and the date and weather at the top.

Screenshot_20210415-101557.png

I only have one other screen of frequently used apps. The rest are in my library that I can access quickly by swiping up.

Screenshot_20210415-101459.png

SeattleSheri and jk703 like this.
  10. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

lol I am a bit OCD too and I rainbow color my apps! I ~hate~ when an app updates its color or logo tho & throws my whole screen off! ;)
    Screenshot_20200920-104437_One UI Home.jpg

11. jk703

Oooo. I could put mine all on the second page and leave the first one blank. MIght have to think on that! :)

gonewiththewind and Karen like this.
  12. SeattleSheri

I love how different everyone approaches this, with some common themes.

For work alone, I have 15 mandatory apps that I need in order to sync with my calendar, emails, Teams, security, etc. I'm also an app lover. For example, I have 12 travel apps (airlines, hotels, transportation, etc).

iphone_500.jpg

13. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Oh, I just did this on my ipad! I had done it on my iphone a few months back and i can find anything in a flash now.

I have categories for: camera/photo, news, entertainment, productivity (scanner, calculator, etc.), literature, language, social media, travel, restaurants, medical, games, faith, crafts, all apple apps (I never use them) and ... EXTRAS! lol!

SeattleSheri likes this.
  14. jk703

OMG your email... one of those, I see! :giggle

I'm the opposite. Those red dots need to go away!
    [​IMG]

bestcee, Karen and SeattleSheri like this.
  15. SeattleSheri

I almost put a disclaimer in my post. I manage my email on computer and not my phone or iPad because they aren't synced :) I really only have 8 unread emails ;) Everything is put into folders.

bestcee and jk703 like this.
  16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have email on my phone but prefer to read it on the computer! I'm actually on my computer more than my phone and even when I worked I was able to check personal email from my work computer since I use gmail so the phone email is just for those times I am actually away from a computer.... which these days, isn't that often LOL

SeattleSheri likes this.
  17. jk703

I totally get that. I used to have work emails on my phone... and they didn't sync - I would mark them all read. :giggle

SeattleSheri likes this.
  18. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

@amien1 My daughter organizes her apps in rainbow order too! It's so pretty. :D

I only have 3 pages of apps and have good spatial memory so I just know where they are if I use them at least occasionally. Before I got my current iPhone12mini in November, I had more apps on my previous phone, but I decided not to install a lot of them and see if I missed them. I missed very few.

amien1 and SeattleSheri like this.
  19. SeattleSheri

It has something to do with the server of my personal email. I've spent some time trying to trouble shoot, but I'm also worried about losing my historical email in the process or worse yet, having it sync so my phone version as the default! ... so for now I have learned to live with it. Thankfully my work email does sync!

jk703 likes this.
  20. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@SeattleSheri
    So HOW do you perrnanently delete an app, instead of "removing from home screen" and keeping it in the App Library? I have several that I tested out (10), but now I can't get rid of them!!!:hairpol:imok Bugs me that I can't remove them from the phone, it's like dust bunnies!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021