Slow Scrap | Wednesday May 25 - INSTRUCTIONS

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by FarrahJobling, May 25, 2016.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

We are SCRAPPING today!

[​IMG]

BLENDING MODES
    Blending modes alter the way layers interact with each other. They can be used to enhance photos, add texture, or blend photos into backgrounds.

You will find the option to change the blending mode in the Layers Palette, to the left of the Opacity. By default, it is ‘Normal.’ You can change the blending mode for any layer, with the exception of the Background Layer.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 9.02.10 AM by farrahj, on Flickr

blending modes are broken up into sections:
    • Independent Modes: Normal, Dissolve
    • Darken Modes: Darken, Multiply, Color Burn, Linear Burn, Darker Color
    • Lighten Modes: Lighten, Screen, Color Dodge, Linear Dodge, Lighter Color
    • Contrast Modes: Overlay, Soft Light, Hard Light, Vivid Light, Linear Light, Pin Light, Hard Mix
    • Comparative Modes: Difference, Exclusion
    • HSL Modes: Hue, Saturation, Color, Luminosity
    If you're super into the math of how each mode determines how the pixels are blended, the algorithms are here: WIKIPEDIA LINK

Although there are many blending modes to choose from, the ones I use the most in scrapbooking are the following:

• Multiply – Multiply blend mode multiplies the numbers for each pixel of the top layer with the corresponding pixel for the bottom layer. The result is a darker picture. I often use this when adding text. The text blends into the background paper, but retains the texture, looking more realistic.
    • Screen – Screen is the opposite of Multiply! This mode will lighten an image.
    • Soft Light – Great for adding contrast to a photo (tone down the layer opacity). Also a great blending mode to use when working with a texture on top of a photo.
    • Overlay – Overlay combines Multiply and Screen blend modes. It provides even more contrast than Soft Light. Another great blending mode to try when working with a texture on top of a photo or background paper.
    • Color – This mode preserves the luma of the bottom layer, while adopting the hue and chroma of the top layer. This works great for when you want to paint or change the color of something while trying to retain the texture.
    The opacity slider is important when using blending modes because sometimes they are too extreme, so play around until you find the right look!

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Start with a neutral background paper.
    2. Place a 4x6 (or is it 6x4???) rectangle or journal card in the center of the page. It should be the landscape orientation
    3. Add a square photo that is somehow layered on top of the card, it doesn't have to be centered or anything...just touching in some way
    4. Add anything else you want to decorate your page, but you MUST use one of the blending modes we've talked about today.
    5. Add the date and journaling and don't forget to save!

The instructions are pretty open ended, so please feel free to ask questions about blending modes, and/or discuss your favorite modes.

This is a slow scrap so you have 24 hours to complete your LO. You must have your page posted here by: 1pm EDT- Thursday, May 26 to qualify! Please remember that your layout must comply with our gallery rule of 50% TLP products. I will be PMing the eligible scrappers their participation prize from this thread. I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Oh this darn work thing is getting in the way of my scrapping.

3. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

LOL soooo sad for you !

Lindzee, FarrahJobling and jesskab like this.
  4. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

[​IMG]

I blended the text on the photo as well as the yellow paper over top of the called-for neutral paper, in order to give texture to the yellow and color to the neutral. ;)

5. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Oh this is awesome! Often wondered what all those blending modes meant!! I only use Screen because its the only one that I know what it does. I just might have to play!!

Lindzee likes this.
  6. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I have four papers with various blending modes and opacity.
    My page:
    [​IMG]

FarrahJobling and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  7. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

8. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Watch out you might become addicted. It's so much fun sometimes. You can get a totally different look to things. I blend backgrounds often.

9. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Sorry I missed. So glad it was a slow scrap.

10. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Blended and reduced opacity on the 3 background papers. Thanks for the fun SS and tutorial. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

FarrahJobling likes this.
  11. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

[​IMG]

I changed the color of the stars and the scatter using the color blend mode! I learned so much today! Thank you Farrah!

FarrahJobling and ljonezy like this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I used hard light on the small photo and multiply on the large photo. I need to play with blending modes more!
    [​IMG]

FarrahJobling, ljonezy and Joan K like this.
  13. Joan K

Joan K Maybe I'll just grow down

I wasn't able to join in earlier, but I hope to get this done tonight - I love playing with blending modes and the opacity slider!

14. ljonezy

ljonezy The thingamabob that does the job is chocolate

[​IMG]
    I used blending modes on the journal block and the heart

15. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I don't know if it is ok or not, but I had a lot of fun, and really need to experiment more, Thank you so much Farrah.
    blend modes Color, and exclution ( with pink paint added ) and multiply on the word foliage.
    [​IMG]

16. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Thanks for the slow scrap, I enjoyed it.

Here is may page with papers as well as the photo blended.

[​IMG]

17. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I used three blending modes: the banner shadow (hard light), the floral brush (overlay, making it go from black to green) and to recolor a blue flower (made a green layer of color with a blending mode of hard light, clipping it to the flower).

[​IMG]

18. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

In PSE, I like to click on the blending mode drop down arrow, click on normal and then use the arrow keys to cycle through the different modes and just stick with the one that works/looks best. I don't even think about what they should do, just the visual examples.

kimingvtx likes this.
  19. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

I know right??? What the heck, they should let me scrap at my desk!!!

kimingvtx and jesskab like this.
  20. sandsock

sandsock If you need me I'll be on my island

Oh a cool one is multiply when you use it on a journal card with a white background....the background goes away! I discovered it by accident.....but have used it lots.
    I used multiply on the photo to darken the highlights & screen on paint.
    [​IMG]
    A side note...4x6 are really hard on smaller size layouts....so I took that as a guideline.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    michelepixels likes this.