Slow Scrap (blending technique) 6-28-18

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Karen, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'll be posting the blending technique instructions here AND the slow scrap steps. C'mon into the chatroom and join us! :)

STEPS TO BLEND TWO PAPERS:

1. Select a solid or plain color paper for the bottom layer

2. Place a 2nd paper that has a pattern to it on the layer above your plain paper. The colors do not have to match.

3. While on the 2nd paper layer, hit the letter “D” (to make your foreground color black and your background color white) and then create a Gradient Map above the 2nd paper. Gradient Map is found on your Layers Palette:

[​IMG]

4. This will make your patterned background paper turn B&W. You could also just desaturate the patterned paper, but I think the gradient map gives the paper more depth and makes it look less flat.

5. Select the Gradient map layer and then CTRL+Click on the patterned paper layer (so two layers are selected) and then hit CTRL+E. This merges the two layers together.

6. With the B&W paper still selected, change the Layer Mode to Overlay and adjust the Opacity and Fill percentage until you get the amount of pattern you like on your background. Layer Modes are also found on your Layers Palette.

MORE BLENDING TUTORIALS:

This one is by FAR my favorite one ever!
    https://the-lilypad.com/friends-dont-let-friends-fonts-float/

[​IMG]

FOR PAPERS (super amazing samples in here):
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/paper-blending-tutorial-summer-school-week-3.43805/

OTHER BLENDING TUTORIALS:

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/photo-technique-watercolor.30509/

https://the-lilypad.com/quick-tip-video-tutorial-photo-blending/

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/simple-blending-of-a-photo-into-the-background.49733/ (photos are missing from thread)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  2. Karen

SLOW SCRAP STEPS HERE:

-----------
    Please post your completed layout in The Lilypad gallery. GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.
    ----------

1. Use a solid (lightly textured) background paper and then blended a patterned paper into it.

2. Select 1-4 photos and group them in the middle of your layout with the edges of the photos slightly overlapping each other. (skip the overlap if you only use one photo)

3. Add at least two pieces of paper under the photo grouping as a mat, to separate from the background.

4. Add a photo frame around at least 1 of your photos. (a photo frame can be a separate element, a stroked border or a mat piece of paper under one photo.)

5. Add at least two elements under your photo mats… I used a vine-like foliage piece and a piece of string. Add at least 3 elements on top of your photos.

6. Add a title that mixes an alpha and a font. If your title is only one word, you can do either an alpha or a font.

7. Tuck a date tag under one of your elements… with the date. Add journaling if needed. (journaling is optional)

BONUS: If you do two methods of blending on your layout you may skip one other step.

You have until 10:00 pm EDT tomorrow (Friday, June 29th) to post your layout to the Speed Scrap Gallery. And post your layouts here too and we can all leave love! :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    bellbird likes this.
  3. Karen

In this layout I think the background is just too boring:
    01_2018-06-23 Cleveland Visit plain BG small.jpg

But then in this version it's just WAY too busy:
    02_2018-06-23 Cleveland Visit too busy BG small.jpg

Using the blending trick in the first post here... it's JUST right:
    Adds just the right bit of texture and interest
    03_2018-06-23 Cleveland Visit small.jpg

And then this version is a great way to add color to the background, but still kind of too boring:
    04_2018-06-23 Cleveland Visit blue plain small.jpg

So I blended a different paper into it to make it a little more interesting:
    05_2018-06-23 Cleveland Visit blue BG small.jpg

mcurtt and bellbird like this.
  4. lou

lou Well-Known Member

Thanks for the instructions and all the links!
    Elements below: doily, leaf
    Elements above: flower, button on flower, bow, washi tape
    I blended the flowery paper onto a light green solid.
    The title is a mix of a WA (chill) and alpha (OUT).

mcurtt and Karen like this.
  5. Karen

WOW! That was SO fast Lou! I love it!

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

In addition to blending the 00011100011 patterned paper with the orange paper, I also used the Friends Don't Let Friends Fonts Float technique on the circuit element, the font part of my title, and the date.

[​IMG]

Karen and mcurtt like this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Karen, @Karen what an awesome way to tone down a background that's too busy (and one that's too plain). Love your example layouts!! I'm SO geeked - I've been playing with layers and haven't done one other thing. I'm having soooooo much fun. Thanks for the awesome chat and instructions!!! :bk

Karen likes this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

michelepixels and Karen like this.
  9. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here's mine. Thanks for the chat @Karen. I'll check out your blending tutorials in greater detail tomorrow. Off to bed!

[​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Love how these papers blended. I used Hard Light instead of Overlay because I loved the way it looked!! The word Baby is a font, I just added a style to it :) I think I got everything else, and I made brownies!! Thanks, Karen!

[​IMG]

11. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Thanks for the great tutorial and links. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

12. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I was just going to start on my page and picked the same template you used Karen haha maybe I'll go with something different.

Karen likes this.
  13. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

@IntenseMagic, great minds think alike!
    I blended mine with some delicate polka dots.
    [​IMG]

Karen, mcurtt and IntenseMagic like this.
  14. Cherylndesigns

I love how these two papers blended too. I just played around with both layers until they looked like I wanted them to. Thanks again for the great tutorials and the discussion beforehand. I'm so happy with how my page turned out. Love everyone's pages I've seen so far. It's way past my bedtime, but I got started and just couldn't stop!!
    [​IMG]

15. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I didn’t know there was a live event..do I need to sign up somewhere to get notification?

mcurtt likes this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

Oh darn, Shar. I can start letting you know if you want me to. I always set my watch reminders. They post a schedule in "Announcements", I think at the start of the month.

See if Jan or any of the admin are still around. This layout isn't due until tomorrow at 10:30 PM. You could probably still play. The instructions are all posted

SharLamb and Karen like this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

love the sample pages Karen and how the blend adds interest to the solids - will BBL with a page!

Karen likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Hello! You are more than welcome to scrap along with the tutorial and steps in the 1st few posts - this is a slow scrap (as opposed to Speed Scrap) so there was 24hrs from the time of the chat to play along and it doesnt matter that you didn't make the chat, all the info is in those posts!
    -so go for it, Shar and if you get a page done and uploaded and added to this thread by then, there's usually a store coupon sent out as a participation prize! Enough incentive?! ;)

19. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I was sleeping during the chat, but I made a page. Thank you for the cool tutorials.
    [​IMG]

20. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

There is a calendar posted at the beginning of the month in the Announcement Pad with all the scraps and chats, and then each individual one gets posted as the date gets near, also in the announcement thread. For speed scraps and slow scraps, the instructions are posted here in the Scrapping Pad as well as the chat room, in case you can't make it to the live chat. But like Cheryl and Justine said, you are are more than welcome to play along for the prize as long as you get your layout posted within the time frame :)