silhouette registration marks help, please!

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by mommy2boyz, Dec 28, 2015.

1. mommy2boyz

mommy2boyz This closet isn't big enough for my boots

I am trying to cut vellum. I have printed twice, closed out Silhouette software and re-opened, turned machine off and back on and I can't get it to read the registration marks! Keeps saying "registration failed" when I go to cut. I just cut something on cardstock. Is this an issue with the vellum, maybe?

2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Maybe the light is reflecting off the vellum too much?

3. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

hmm i've never tried cutting on vellum but yeah could be that it's having a problem because it's vellum. Do you have a flashlight or something you can shine on the machine while it's trying to detect the registration marks?

4. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest the flashlight like Sarah. I have heard people having success this way. I've never tried cutting vellum.

5. mommy2boyz

mommy2boyz This closet isn't big enough for my boots

Trying now. I'll update. Thanks!

6. WendyBird

WendyBird Active Member

gracielou, lorryfach and bestcee like this.
  7. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Did you ever get it to work? Would love to know what method worked for you. I may have to try cutting some vellum in the new year.

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I will preface this by saying I am NOT a silhouette expert... but when I first started and tried to do print and cut the first time I got SO frustrated. I finally stumbled on the fact that when you insert your mat to do print and cut you have to use the top insert button with the gridlines on it... not the 2nd button down without gridmarks. I don't know why or what the difference is, but that button worked and the other didn't.

9. WendyBird

WendyBird Active Member

The one with the grid marks is Load Mat, the one without is Load Media (cutting vinyl without a mat).

The difference is how far it pulls it into the Portrait.

lorryfach and Karen like this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ah. See... I didn't even know that. I just pressed buttons until it worked. Lol!

lorryfach and WendyBird like this.
  11. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

When I print/cut the planner envelopes with vellum I enlarged the size of the reg. marks, traced them in sharpie, and they miraculously worked the first time. I always use the first registration marks on the list (with the square in the upper left) because mine has never picked up the other registration marks. (Gluing marks from regular paper over the vellum is brilliant, btw. I may have to try that with acetate when it has trouble)

WendyBird likes this.