Signs of the times | Pad Patter 3 Jul 2020

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jul 4, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Graphic design and sign printing businesses have to be as overworked as health professionals this year. I'm really not going to miss seeing the plethora of signs about where to stand & how to wash my hands everywhere after all this, a quick trip to the shops leaves me mentally exhausted at the moment now the product limit signs are up again.
    (I'm especially not going to miss DH's homemade 'VIDEO CHAT IN PROGRESS! SHHHHHH!' (yes, in all caps) sign on his home made PVC pipe stand out side the home office door. DS used to have a handmade sign stuck to his door that said 'no sisters allowed' with Spiderman stickers on it but they haven't made any pandemic signs (much to my surprise).
    So far, these are my fave that I've seen online:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Do you have signs around your house? Or post-its?

I stick post-its to the kids alarm clocks because I remember things at night but know I'll have forgotten them by the morning! I have left them for myself on occasion too!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  2. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

We have a small white board in a stand in the kitchen on which I write jobs for my husband to do but the only thing on it presently is to make me another hotpot stand. I need to rub that one out as I found one I forgot I owned so he does not need to make me one now.

bellbird and jenn mccabe like this.
  3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

We have a blackboard in the kitchen with the sign ASH Cafe - our initials and we meet at 4pm every day for our fancy coffee with frothy milk.
    Lockdown tradition.

sharonb, Karen, Ferdy and 3 others like this.
  4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I was thinking that too Justine - about print shops being super busy with all the need for signage! Especially how often the rules change.

We have a huge blackboard in the kitchen that I used to write our weekly menu on, so the kids wouldn't ask what was for dinner all the time. Haven't used it for the our menu in quite a few years. Sometimes I put lists of things we need to buy on there though.

I'm at work in the hospital everyday and DH has been working from home in the finished basement office for 7 years now ... so no signs needed here. If anyone walks downstairs for anything - we proceed cautiously during work hours just in case he's on a call. It's second nature now.

BUT .... those signs are too funny! Love them. Thanks for the giggle this morning!

bellbird likes this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

that's really sweet! :)

6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

None here since the dog can't read but I do have a small dry erase board I got when I worked for my previous employer hanging on the refrigerator. I put upcoming appointments on it with sticky notes. My dry erase pen is long gone and a replacement I bought won't come off completely. So sticky notes work... use up some of that stock I found when cleaning out the the house!

bellbird likes this.
  7. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

In our "open concept" house, my office is in the family room and DH's is in what is supposed to be the formal living/dining room (but never has been), and there are no doors to close or put signs on. So far it hasn't been a problem. I'm used to getting interrupted, and if DH doesn't have the TV on, we just assume he's in a meeting. :lol

If the colleges are online in the fall, we may have to get signs for the kids' doors, especially since DH is really bad about being aware of what they have going on. :rolleyes:

DS has had this metal sign on his door for a couple of years just for fun, but it seems especially relevant now...
    IMG_4615-crop.jpg

Maybe we should move it to the door that leads outside! :lol

ashleywb, Donitab, Karen and 5 others like this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I leave myself post-it notes all the time, here and at work, they are everywhere around my desk.

As far as the house, I have one chalkboard, but I just use it for funny quotes lol Right now it says, "When life throws you curve balls, swing at those ***** like Stevie Wonder with a light saber" :giggle

It's just me, the 15 year old, and occasionally my 11 year old granddaughter on working days, and they pretty much do their own thing and leave me alone. If not, I just tell them to be quiet or go somewhere.

bellbird likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We have always been big "note makers". We use 3x5 cards and have always been good about keeping each other informed. We have certain areas that we leave them. Our #1 "area" is right by the coffee pot in the kitchen. That's the first place we go in the morning. LOL When the kids were home, we also used Post-it Notes. They were great because they stick to anything.

My other "rule" when the kids were home was "put it on the family calendar"! I had a great big calendar that I kept on the INSIDE of my of the cabinet doors in the kitchen. I didn't want it cluttering up the outside. LOL I always said, "if it's not on there, it probably won't happen". It's so funny because my oldest dd has done the same thing with her kids. Her calendar is on the inside, too. :lol:lol

AJK, bellbird and HeatherB like this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

BWhahaha! OMG too funny!

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

That's the only problem with open plan, hey?! My DH's home office was the formal dining area that he and his dad walled off to make a pantry cupboard and add a door to about a year after we moved in a decade back. We aren't formal either
    That sign is absolutely perfect for everything at the moment!

KimJ likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Aren't post-its the best! And this is why we still have a paper calendar too - ours is always in plain sight though and we always buy one that has great photography and i think of it like art that changes every month - we bought a travel themed one this year, we're seeing lots of places we can't go to this year. July is beach huts on the coast in Cape Town (South Africa) but there's an iconic spot near Melbourne (in the next state south of us) but we can't even go there, such is 2020!
    I stuck post-its with French names for things around the house when DD started French - they're so handy!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Cherylndesigns likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i love your lockdown tradition! Some days I wouldn't make it to 4pm though :giggle

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:giggle my bird shows little respect for paper notes; i have, what we call, a 'sacrificial notepad' next to my laptop all the time - all the pages have shredded corners and it's spiral bound and that part he loves to pull off the spiral bind bit one little piece at a time. And it's bizarre and probably way too late but i have wondered if he could actually learn to read or recognise letters because after his partner died (the bird on my shoulder in my avatar) and he was continually calling and looking for her, i printed a photo of her and sat it next to his cage, and when he saw it, he then wouldn't leave that spot and just sat next to it, and similarly if we forget to hide the bird seed box and he sees the birds on that, he'll sit with it and also try to peck the seeds in the packaging photo; so it doesn't feel like it's too big a stretch for him to recognise letters and words, but he'd probably chew the note before reading it!

15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh my gosh, Justine, we did the same thing when my oldest DD was going to France on an exchange program. Everything in our house had a Post-it note on it with the French name. I'd forgotten all about that. :giggle:giggle

bellbird likes this.
  16. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My DH was wearing his badge at home, so if we saw him outside of his office with his badge on, we knew not to talk to him. Now, we pretty just ignore him all day unless he talks to us first. He has gotten used to working at home. They have basically said they won't have his department back in the office until there is a vaccine. He has more room here at home than in his office (4 people crammed in 1 small room). He is using our "library" and it has two doors he can shut.

bellbird likes this.
  17. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I cant show a photo ( thank God ) but many years ago when I was a teenager my mum put a note on the door to my room;
    BEWARE
    All who enter here bring a shovel !
    It still stuck with me , so it must have worked.

bellbird likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

lol that sounds totally appropriate for my daughter's room too!

19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Those signs are great! Lol! We have switched to doing virtual meetings at work. My hubby and I work together and are still going into our offices, but we don't have any in person meetings, so they are all from our offices with Go To Meeting. I'm lucky because my office has a door that I can shut during a meeting, but everyone else has them in their partially open cubicles and then it just sounds like they are talking to themselves. One of our coworkers made a "Virtual Meeting in Progress" sign on a cardboard tent to put in front of their doors so people know not to just barge in and start talking. It's a weird world these days. Lol!

I love the idea of a sticky note on my kids alarm clocks! I'm constantly thinking of things to ask them after they go to bed, or in the morning before they wake up. I usually just text them, but it's a 50/50 shot if they will reply or not. Lol.

bellbird likes this.
  20. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

I love the signs! I remember back when we would have chats in a real chat room and I would put those kinds of signs on the door when we were having live chats. I sure do miss those times.

bellbird likes this.