Shutterfly Question

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by JillW, Aug 10, 2018.

1. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I have uploaded a few layouts to Shutterfly and popped them into a book to see what they'd look like. The photos look okay but some of the journaling looks pixelated … what size and resolution works best?

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

What are your settings when you save your LOs? And what size did you print?

I'm wondering if you saved 12x12, 300ppi but if you printed smaller (say, 8x8), then maybe SF does a poor job resizing?

ETA: I took a look at a 12x12 and my 8x8, but my journaling seems fine in both sizes. Hmm...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  3. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I upload 12x12 jpgs, 300ppi. I've also made 10x10 and 8x8 books with those same 12x12 layouts without any problems. They're always perfect. No pixelation whatsoever.

4. JillW

The pages I'm trying to upload had been saved at 600 x 600 pixels and a lower resolution to post online. That's how I saved them … that's where I believe my issue is. I have tried to resize them with 300ppi and they still look wonky! :-(

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Jill do you still have the psd files? if so try resizing the psd files to the 300dpi... if you are trying to change the 600X600 72 dpi jpg to 300dpi it will still be wonky , but not as a psd.

bestcee likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yeah, you don't want to resize the 600x600. It will result in pixelation.

I hope you kept your PSDs (I always do) so that you can save at 12x12 (3600x3600 px) at 300 dpi. That will give you a crisp image for printing!

bestcee likes this.
  7. JillW

No - unfortunately I had deleted a WHOLE file of PSD's by accident last fall - didn't think too much about it until I started putting together the grandbabies' books. :cry:cry
    I guess the bright side is I will have lots of pages to (re) make now!

8. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Oh no Jill, I really feel for you. I have been in the process of organizing, dating, and renaming all of my 1000+ unprinted pages during the past month and was peeved when I could not find two or three original psds. You have such a positive attitude and you have done the hard part (coming up with the original design). Good luck.

bestcee likes this.
  9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Jill, I was thinking about this, and maybe there's a solution for your existing pages. If you wanted, you could put 4 of your "web sized" LOs onto a single 12x12 canvas. Two on top, two on bottom. That way you aren't resizing them, which creates the pixelation, but you are still printing them. On the plus side, you're showing off 4 LOs per (paper) page, which means 4 times the bang for your buck!

10. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

I'm working on a book to give my step son for graduation (he just started his senior year!), and I may have to do that Sara! That's a great idea :)

bestcee likes this.