shredding it | pad patter 4.23.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Apr 23, 2019.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Today I've been shredding piles of old bills and receipts and I kind of enjoy it. It's fun to see all the shreds. It's cool how a piece of paper can be transformed into a fluffy pile of shreds. There are many reasons why we shred things. One being protecting privacy, but I also like to shred paper to use as packing/decoration in gift bags and packages. Plus I find shredding paper satisfying. The paper disappearing into the machine. The whirring of the blades. The sound of the shredding and it filling a trash bag.

So how about you... do you shred? Do you enjoy shredding?

2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Nope, we don't even have a shredder. Hubby is more of a filer actually. He can find papers spanning the past 31 years, all neatly packed away. He is simply amazing.

3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I don't love the actual shredding, but I do enjoy watching the "to shred" pile grow smaller and smaller. I like the accomplishment. :) But I try to limit what we shred because our waste company doesn't recycle shredded paper.

4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love to shred, too! I've shredded colored paper to use in gift bags and other things. Very handy if you need some fillers last minute. We keep our shredder going a lot!!

5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Gahhhh I have a huge bag of stuff that needs to be shredded and I just keep putting it off and putting it off. I have shredder, but I just don't ever take the time to do it. One of these days... or I'll put one of the kids to work on it haha

6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I wish I could say I enjoyed it. I hate doing it. I have a cheap one and if you put too much in at once it can jam easily. It becomes one of those tasks that I put off all the time!

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Yep, I enjoy shredding. People think I'm nuts since there is a place that I can take papers to be shredded. It is a school/workplace for citizens with developmental disabilities. My former employer used this company to shred their old documents.

For me, though, it is somewhat relaxing. During the clean out of the house I had lots of paper to go through. A good portion of it could just be recycled but I didn't feel comfortable with other stuff even though it was over 20 years old (bank records for my parents). So I set the shredder up in the garage so the mess wouldn't be in the house. When I felt like it, I'd go shred some stuff. Then it went into boxes for recycle to pick up.

During the shredding process, I did find some stuff that I felt was information I needed. Much of it pertained to improvements done to the house by mom and dad. I recorded the info on a spreadsheet then shredded it. Also found a couple of things that I really did need to keep. Had I not done the shredding, this information would have been gone.

Now I have a box in the garage that I throw the info that needs shredded. I've let it collect all fall/winter and will spend some time this summer shredding it. I am still finding stuff that could be shredded as I am doing another sort of papers that were in my office (got shoved into another room when the new floor was put in last year... finally got a desk so I can put the office back together).

So when I shred it is actually another level of sorting... do I need this or not? 2nd time as no, it is gone.

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I do mine in spurts because it gets too hot. And, I'm also careful about the basket getting too full. That is when it jams and it is a pain to clean it out.

9. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

I have to admit - I do like shredding! I usually “shred as I go” meaning when I go through the mail. When a big shred-fest is needed, I pull up my chair and just enjoy seeing the pile diminish. If for some reason I don’t feel like shredding or I am busy with something else DH steps in and does it.

10. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

We don't own one.......... I have to admit we burn all our papers. When ever we do a fire in the backyard we bring out the box of items that need to be taken care of.

11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Ihave BAGS of things that need shredding.. Can I bring them to you? lol

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm with Dalis... I have a ton that needs to be shredded, but I put it off forever. My shredder doesn't like it when I do a ton at a time either. It'll get hot and need a break after awhile. I keep meaning to ask if I can bring in a few bags and shred them at work instead. I never thought to use the shredded stuff for gift bags though. It kinda makes me twitchy knowing that my boys would get it everywhere when they got into the bags. :giggle

13. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

After having too many shredders bite the dust we now just rely on our county's shredding program. It takes place once a month somewhere within the county's borders and they'll shred up to 4 boxes/bags of sensitive documents for free. Otherwise, I never did think about how the shredded paper looked!