SEPTEMBER 2018 - Monthly Muse - FIND YOURSELF - Week 4

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by mimisgirl, Sep 26, 2018.

1. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

[​IMG]

Hello, and welcome to your final Week of the September Muse!

Week 1 we talked about Finding your TRUE COLORS. You can see that post HERE.

In week 2 we looked at Finding your VOICE, which is located HERE.

Last week we talked about Finding Your Center HERE.

And this, our final week, we will look into Finding Your Purpose!

Now before anyone freaks out and has a nervous breakdown about that, I am not asking you to figure out the meaning to your life in a single week. But I will give you a few ideas on how to explore the idea of finding your purpose.

The reason being - in my 40 years so far - I have found that my purpose changes periodically. Looking back, that makes sense, I mean, I have changed quite a bit as I have grown older and seen more of the world around me. I am not the same person I was stepping into my 20s, so it only makes sense that my purpose has a different flavor to it as well.

Sometimes my purpose just comes to me and I jump right in, other times I have to step back and really think about it. At this point in life I am ready to be intentional and a little picky even.

What about you?

Here are some prompts to get you thinking and hopefully inspire you along the way. You can respond to as many of them as you would like. Or go your own direction - as long as it points back to our theme this week of finding your purpose.

FIND YOUR PURPOSE

1. Maybe you have know your Purpose since you were six years old!

My sister for instance has always wanted to be in the medical field. I remember her as a small child trying to bandage our cuts and nurse animals back to health. She took a long, roundabout journey, but she finally found her purpose and is an amazing NICU doctor and lactation consultant.

Create a project that showcases you as a child, or this purpose that you have always felt called to. Share with us your story of how you have finally gotten to the place where you know and live out your purpose - OR - show us something about the journey that you are still on to get there.

2. Not sure what your Purpose is? That's OK.
    THIS is an awesome article by Psychology Today that outlines some questions to lead you on a journey of discovery. I really liked how she shows you how to HONE in on what really makes YOU tick - because she is RIGHT, there are so many roads and so many ways to accomplish a goal - we need to find the one that is right for US.

Create a page that responds in some way to one or more of the 5 questions she presents in this article.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...s/201712/five-steps-finding-your-life-purpose

3. For those of you who are a little more FEISTY (you know who you are :) ) THIS article by Mark Manson might be more your style! (BE WARNED: there is strong language in it!!) He approaches the same topic as the above article but from a different perspective - I feel it might speak to some of you more so than the PSYCH Today one.

As with #2, choose one or more of the 7 questions he poses to create or inspire a page you can share with us.

https://markmanson.net/life-purpose

4. Some of us are more visual - so here is a printable worksheet I made for you.
    This is a more visual approach to the same ideas found in the articles above.

[​IMG]

Grab it HERE:
    https://app.box.com/s/b1ihefxmz764tedmtmawa2y0zacz6r14

There are .jpg files and .pdf files, you don't need both, but grab whichever word best for you for printing - or if you prefer using in your software.

Let this exercise inspire your page in some way - OR - you could fill it in and doodle around it if you like - totally up to you!

5. Do you have a dream that you feel is just out of reach? Something that you really believe you would LOVE to BE or DO, but that has just not come about - yet? If you could fill in the sentence "I wish my purpose was . . . ." how would you answer?

Show us with your creation!

I am still working on my page, but I will be back soon with it for you!

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without photos. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. If you want all 4 Muses ( 1 for each week this month) on one page that's perfectly ok or you can make 4 separate pages!! It's totally up to you! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to October 2nd and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

2. mimisgirl

ugh - the link gremlins are at work - so let me fix them really fast, sorry about that.

EDITED: I *think* I fixed them, but if you encounter a bad link let me know ok?

3. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Erin @mimisgirl I just read that Mark Manson's article. It's worth the read and lots of laughs. I really enjoyed it and signed up for his emails - I need more humor in my life. Good call giving us that link. :rofl

mimisgirl likes this.
  5. mimisgirl

OH yay! I was a little nervous using his, because of his language - but he really looks at this in a way that a lot of people can relate to - and laugh with! So I took a chance just in case someone was able to get something from it - so glad you did!

And yes, he is a riot!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

He's SO funny - that "sandwich thing" got me going. LOL

mimisgirl likes this.
  7. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

This was another no-brainer for me! I can't remember ever having ambitions greater than being first a wife, then a mother, then a grandmother. How blessed am I to have achieved all three with some bonus purposes besides?
    [​IMG]

8. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@mimisgirl I'm not sure if this is what you intended, but I went with my thoughts. Journaling is in the credits if you find it hard to read. And four for four, I used an image of myself each week. :-)

[​IMG]

wvsandy and Cherylndesigns like this.
  9. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

10. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

This Muse has been hard on me. For the first two weeks I did generic pages with a quote I found online, only because I was too scared to look inside of me.
    The last two weeks are about me: here I am, age 39, more confused than ever.
    [​IMG]

RJMJ and Cherylndesigns like this.
  11. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

This was difficult - but worthwhile - Thanks
    [​IMG]

12. Carol K.

Carol K. Well-Known Member

13. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

This Month's Monthly Muse Challenges Have Been Both Wonderful,Challenging & Therapeutic All At The Same Time...I Am Continuing On My Personal Journey Of Discovery With Week #4's Theme..."Finding Yourself"...

*After Losing My Mom,Almost Losing My Boyfriend/Partner Of 23 Years(Heart Attack) & Almost Dying Myself(Blood Clots In My Legs Traveled To My Heart Causing A PAE...My Heart Literally Stopped Beating 3 Times-Once Here In The Apartment When The Paramedics Were Working On Me & Twice On The Table At The Hospital)...That Was Almost 2 Years Ago For Both Of These Life Altering Events & My Mom's Passing Was A Few Years Back Now...With All That Being Said We Have Both Had Our Health Struggles Even To This Day...My Health Struggles Have Gone To The Forefront Of My Life...It Has Changed Me As A Person & Has Changed My Way Of Looking At The World...I Can't Do All The Things That I Used To & I Have Had To Adjust My Thinking Etc...But With Acceptance Comes A Little Bit Of Freedom...That Doesn't Mean I Have Given Up On Getting Better Either...In Fact It is Just The Opposite...I Am More Determined Than Ever To Overcome...

*So For This Layout I Have Taken A More Philosophic Approach To The Subject In Question...I May Have Lost One Purpose Or 2 Along The Way But I Have A More Pressing Purpose In My Life Right Now...Until I Started Working On This Layout I Didn't Even Realize That I Had Already Found My Purpose...For Awhile I Was Just Wandering Around In My Head Wracking My Brain Trying To Figure Out My Purpose In Life Now...Getting More & More Confused...Getting Better,From The Inside Out & Finding My True Self...IS MY NEW PURPOSE IN LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I Just Had A Wonderful Light Bulb Moment...Getting Better & Improving Myself Is The Only Way That I Can Move On & Find My Next Truest Purpose In Life...I Certainly Don't Know How Long This Will Take But Each Day Is A Journey Of Both Struggle,Self Determination & Celebration...Knowing That I Have Learned So Much About Myself & How Far I Have Come Along My Journey Since 2 Years Ago Is Actually Startling & Shocking At The Same Time...I Can't Believe What I Have Learned & How Much Better I Know Myself But That Being Said...I Still Have Many Questions & Problems To Solve...But With Each Day Comes New Struggles,New Hope & Perhaps New Solutions To Old Or Existing Problems...You Just Have To Open Up Yourself To The Possibilities That Things Will Get Better & Even When You Think Things Can't Get Any Worse...Ding!...They Do Get Better...Even If Some Days That Just Means Being Able To Cook Your Own Dinner Or Wash Your Hair Or Sweep The Floor...Whatever Each Day Brings...Celebrate Every Accomplishment With Dignity & Happiness & Know That You Accomplished Something Today That Maybe You Couldn't Do Yesterday...Be Strong & Stay Positive!...:bk

*For My Soul Searching Layout-I Used:

*Hayrides & Smiles-Allison Pennington
    *Autumn Goodies-Elements-Paula Kesselring
    *Rhodes-Rebecca McMeen
    *Monthly Newsletter WA-August-Word Art World(1 Item Used)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Carol K. and Cherylndesigns like this.
  14. Cherylndesigns

Erin, @mimisgirl I went with Mark Manson's article. Question 6 really resonated with me, so I decided to test it out. He says "If you had to leave the house everyday, for 8 hours, where would you go and what would you do? Then, test it out." I had the perfect situation to test it out last Friday. We had workers at our house all day and I didn't want to be there. I had no place in particular to go, but I just wanted to leave. I spent the afternoon at Michael's and Barnes & Noble. That's what I scrapped about. I already knew I was passionate about my creativity and reading (among other things), but it was an interesting concept.

[​IMG]

15. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I decided to comment on question #1 from the Mark Manson article. The journaling is very private so it's covered by paper and the photo of olives masked to a mound of spaghetti. If you look real close you can just see a few of the words outside the masked photo. Part of the last line is the only thing that shows clearly on the ATC.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018