Self Tanning Lotion blaaaaaaaah

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by lmccandless, Jun 28, 2017.

1. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

It's almost time for our annual beach trip and I am pretty much day-glow white... like I will blind people with the glare of my whiteness. LOL While I typically embrace my pale, I've come to the conclusion that I am going to have to use some self-tanning lotion before we go. (Actual tanning beds are a no-go for me.) I've tried the spray booth places and don't like them - smells weird and doesn't last. Soooooo... please tell me your favorite self-tanning lotion and how long it takes to give you some color. TIA!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    LoveItScrapIt and bbymks5 like this.
  2. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I am not a big user of self tanners but when I did use some I really liked the self tanning lotion from Dove. It is gradual, so the effect doesn't come with applying it once, but over time, and it looks quite natural.

jk703 and lmccandless like this.
  3. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Laura, I'm soooo pasty white. I can relate. I never wear shorts as an act of charity to other people...lol. I've tried just about everything on the market and have settled on my favorite. When I do want some color, my go-to is Fake Bake Flawless Self-Tan Liquid.

I buy it at Ulta, but you can also get it at Sephora. It's on the pricey side ($35-38) but worth it. It comes with a luxurious mit and has a spray nozzle applicator. The liquid has a built-in bronzer, so it gives you immediate color. The actual color develops in about 10 hours, and the bronzer helps you see where you've applied it. It is streak-free, which is fantastic. I'm super-pale, but I still buy the medium color. It isn't too dark and doesn't look unnatural. I always get compliments on my "tan," which is hilarious since the sun hates me. ;) I would recommend it without hesitation. Good luck!

sm_amber, Sokee, bestcee and 4 others like this.
  4. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Oooh, good thread! Another inquiring mind!

jesskab and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm a pale freckled white girl of Irish/English ancestry. I feel you! :giggle

Jergens Natural Glow products.... I'll link. Best thing ever. Slight color over time, not all at once, simple application, and not expensive. They also have one with sunscreen, which makes me crack up at the irony. There are loads that you can choose from, and different levels too!

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...prefix=jergens+,beauty,131&crid=3LYX5KEYWJKM7

6. dawninskip

dawninskip Well-Known Member

LOL can relate - this is when I wish I had naturally sallow skin. The only one I've used with any success is St Tropez (but it's still a bit of a PITA) - a mousse applied by wearing latex gloves, but you do have to exfoliate before, during and after applications. A light tan is instant and you build it up over time if you look after it. Good luck!

7. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

Is it this? https://smile.amazon.com/Fake-Bake-...1498678590&sr=8-1&keywords=fake+bake+flawless

If so looks like it might be cheaper on Amazon? I might have to try this one :)

8. londoncuppa

9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I can relate, I am a super pale English gal and I burn super easy too. I have never found a tanner that worked well for me without being a weird color or getting streaky (probably more due to my application than the product though). What I like to do is wear a light sunscreen on my body and a bit of bronzer blush on my face and neck which gives me a bit of warmth but not too stark against my white body.

10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I second the Jergen's natural glow, not because I use them but cuz a friend does and her "tan" looks natural.

11. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I'm also day-glow white LOL!! Along with the ones that have already been mentioned; I've heard amazing things about Baja Bae which is a tan accelerator or you can use it as a tinted moisturizer. You'll get darker if you put it on and go in the sun though.

Here is the link to the FAQ's but the purchase option is at the top of the page too https://www.bajabae.com/pages/ive-got-99-questions-faqs

lmccandless and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  12. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

Like Jenn, I really like the Jergens natural glow moisturizers. I did spray tan a few times (friends and I did it for fun) this spring and I loved the color and coverage, but it didn't last long at all.

lmccandless and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  13. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I have no idea about any of this stuff, but this is a very interesting thread. ROFL

jesskab, bestcee and londoncuppa like this.
  14. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

Oooh, I'm interested in finding something to use, too! I don't tan well at all (except for a rockin' Teva tan on my feet), and I'd love to find something that works!

15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I tan really easily and have a nice one going just from being at baseball all spring. But in the winter, I was using Josie Maran Argon Liquid Gold. It came with a super nice applicator and a tinted body butter. It is a little pricey, but I got it as a gift. When buying for myself, I've always used the Jergens and had pretty good results.

lmccandless likes this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I've got an amazing flip flop tan, and just bought new flip flops....And my arm line is awesome! Good thing my sleeves are mostly the same length!

My legs could use this thread.

ashleywb, jesskab and lmccandless like this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

lmccandless likes this.
  18. londoncuppa

Lol... you're too funny, Courtney!

19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

When I cared, I used the Jergens too. Then sunblock, sunblock, sunblock. Yesterday, when I walked to the library, the librarian said...Oh I love when people come in wearing sunblock! I noticed she had a good scar right across the bridge of her nose...

20. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I am the Irish version of the Stay-puff marshmallow man; I just need the hat. When we went to my daughter's wedding in the Dominican Republic last summer, I used St. Tropez and it worked well. It was easy to apply and gave me a hint of color. I did not want to embarrass the bride (DD)or out shine her in my glowing whiteness.

I have two Indian friends and they use products like My Fair Lady to lighten up a bit. When I was a kid, I used Crisco and hours sun bathing to darken up!!!