Seeing President or world leader? Pad patter 02.13

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I said, "You probably could, but the words "low-fat pancakes" feel like a bit of a letdown, personally."

bestcee likes this.
  2. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

As far as I can remember, I've only seen local politicians (governor, mayor, etc) and celebrities. The presidents have traveled through my area many times for events, but I hate crowds, so it's never been appealing to me. My hubby teaches AP Politics/Gov't so I could see him having interest if it was the right topic/person.

QuiltyMom, Sokee and weaselwatchr like this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I hated that when we lived on the NH/MA border. My condolences to you!

norton94 likes this.
  4. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

You feel our pain :) every.single.commercial.24/7

Christina W likes this.
  5. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

As a child my sister and I were allowed to give flowers to our Belgian king. Together with the Swedish king he visited the floristry where my father worked. On the floristry, mainly azaleas were cultivated and sold to Sweden.

6. Nightshadow

Nightshadow Pancakes are their own food group

That sounds very exciting.

7. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

When J.F. Kennedy visited Berlin in 1963 and made his famous speech, my grandfather and I were right there. "
    I was - and still am - incredibly proud to have been there live and experienced it.

QuiltyMom and Juliestcyr like this.
  8. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

While it didn't work out for her, and not really a president, but we saw Hillary Clinton when she was running for President. My daughter and I went to a rally near our home. It was pretty awesome. A nice small group, so we were up close and personal.

9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My only claim to "fame" is that I once flew from Charlotte, NC to RDU, NC (a mere 30 minute flight) and sat next to Coach K in the cheap seats. He is the coach of Duke University basketball. Our other seat mate did all the talking.

Oh and we saw Obama's motorcade driving down the highway when he came to visit NC while still president. Of course we didn't know which car he was in.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I remembered one other - we were flying home from Wiesbaden, Germany and we sat with Edsel Ford, II. He was flying home for his father's funeral. I also worked for an entertainment attorney in the Detroit, Mi area. He had produced a "made for TV" movie and I frequently talked to the stars who were in that movie. It was called "Woman On The Ledge" and several soap stars were in it. I remember talking to Peter Bergman (Young & Restless), Deidre Hall, Coleen Zenk, Josh Taylor, Leslie Charleston and Kale Brown.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    QuiltyMom and HavaDrPepper like this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Well, if we are going to get into soap stars, I've got a scrapbook of pictures of me with some of my favorite stars from ATWT and other soaps filmed in NYC. I attended the annual St Jude's Benefit that was held each year (and organized by Martha Byrne of ATWT) in 2002 with some of my axe-murdering internet ATWT friends. Colleen Zenk and Kale Brown were both there that night. The best moment of the night for me was standing in line to get a drink and chatting with Christopher Goutman who was the executive producer of the show at that time. He was a former actor as well and had met his then wife on the set of Search For Tomorrow. I was telling him how a scene she had done many years before still stuck in my mind... later that evening he saw me and invited me into the VIP section to tell that to his wife, Marcia McCabe.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  12. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I haven't seen anyone that famous, but when my mom was a teenager, she met both Marilyn Monroe and Robert Mitchum while they were filming River of No Return in Jasper. My grandfather was an engineer with the Canadian National Railroad in Jasper, and they were used to transport in the filming gear and crew and so were invited to hang out at the film location. My mom even has some photos of her with the movie stars. She was very lucky to be able to go.

13. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I haven't but Bernie came to our town for 2016 - my husband and daughter went. They didn't make it inside for the speech. Got their too late. But Bernie came outside and did a short speech for everyone who couldn't make it in (which I thought was pretty awesome and considerate since it was freezing out) - they were in the front row and got great photos! And Trump came to our town about a month after Bernie did - my daughter wanted to see that too but something came up and she wasn't able to go. Polar opposite candidates LOL ... but she's open to hearing all sides and just likes the hoopla associated with presidential elections in general.

norton94 and QuiltyMom like this.
  14. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

And this is what we should all be like!

@AnneofAlamo How exciting for your boys! What wonderful parents you are! I'm know you are raising them to be Good Neighbors to everyone!

IMG_1424.jpg
    This is the only politician we have meet Governor Rick Snyder, when my oldest son graduated the State police academy he was there for a speech. He did a lot for the State Police department while in office, building them up to get to the numbers they should be after years of the state not hiring.

QuiltyMom and SeattleSheri like this.
  15. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

what a memorable trip for your boys!

16. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

We live only a few Km's from our Parliament House and Canberra is a very small capital so finding a politician is not that hard... Have seen many of our PM's from a distance or just driving around- although not Julia Gillard who was my favourite. Many of the members stay and shop locally as well so when the house is sitting, it is harder to avoid them than see them...
    We went and saw the Queen and Prince Phillip but they just drove past at speed so only a glimpse - same when they were on a boat on our little lake, lots of security jet skis though.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  17. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

My husband gave former President George H.W. Bush a tour of the aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman when DH was active duty Navy. Jeff said he was so kind and really nice. This was in 1999 or 2000 so during Clinton's presidency. Also when Jeff was stationed on the Truman, he gave a tour to one of the princes of the U.A.E and then got to tour Bahrain, ride a camel and visit an oasis with that prince when the Truman was in the Persian Gulf. After Jeff got out of the Navy, we moved to the D.C. area and he had to attend meetings at the Pentagon often, so he got to meet D.o.D. Donald Rumsfield and V.P. Dick Cheney at that point.
    When I was in college, I spent a summer in Italy and got to see Pope John Paul II speak/preach in front of St. Peter's in the Vatican as well as saw Mel Gibson touring Rome with his family (he was in the Pantheon when we went in there.) With my parents and grandmother, I visited D.C. in 1985 and saw President Reagan land on the White House lawn in Marine One (helicopter) from the restaurant on the roof terrace at the Hotel Washington (which is one building over from the White House.)