Seeing flashes? a little PSA

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by KimJ, May 24, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Wow, i haven't heard about this happening before - it sounds like everyone has come out of it largely ok, fortunately -scary but thanks for the PSA Kim!

KimJ likes this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have had floaters since I was 9 years old.. I find I see them when I am looking at white paper or the screen :) and yup, annoying to see those fuzzy black dots. Basically they explained to me that floaters are like dandruff... flakes off of the back of the retina, that is why I am always making sure if I have flashes to get checked.

I currently am checked yearly as I have scaring on my right macular and while currently it is not in my field of vision (thankfully) they are making sure it doesn't get worse, as I have both wet and dry macular issues on both sides of my family history so they are checking me for the last 10 years... I also have beginnings of cataracts so they check me for that too.

@gonewiththewind I worked for Cigna and BCBS ... yup learning alot from experience with codes records and authorizations!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yikes! Anything with eyes and vision freaks me out because I'm SO dependent on my sight. I'm so glad you went right in and had it checked out. Hoping you don't miss running and horseback riding too much while it heals. :giggle

KimJ likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I asked my eye doctor about cataracts when she first told me I had them (maybe 5 to 7 years ago?) and she said that as long as vision can be corrected with glasses they won't refer to surgery. So far so good! I was thinking at Christmas time that mine might be bad enough for surgery since I was having issues at times. Got the eyes checked in January and I'm good with a new prescription. I had to laugh when she first told me about the cataracts because she added the comment that if I could hold off until I was 65, Medicare would pay for the surgery 100%. She is a classmate of mine and just 3 weeks younger than me.

5. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I've had the small dot floaters in the past, but hadn't noticed any in quite some time. When I initially called the doctor, I wasn't having any, but then on the way to the office a larger circle appeared. Apparently, it even has a special name – Weiss Ring. They were able to show it to me on the pictures.

What the doctor told me was that floaters actually never go away, but they usually settle into the bottom of the eye where we don't notice them. ..."and if you're one of those who it doesn't settle for, then you get to name it". :lol

Cherylndesigns and cfile like this.
  6. cfile

ha ha re getting to name the floaters. When I was a kid in 4th grade and tod my father about the fuzzy dots, he thought I was making it up.. fast forward 30 years and he ended up getting some so he knew what I was going through for my entire life.. I ignore them for the most part.. every now and again if I have been staring at white surfaces for a long time they will float.... ... so glad though the doctor could reassure you regarding your issue. Please be careful and stay on top of it. hugs :glomp

KimJ and BevG like this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My knowledge was so specific as all he did was retina or eye related. I can't imagine working for a doctor or a hospital or an insurance company and having to know about ALL the codes and billing rules. My experience there did come in handy when I was fighting to have things paid later with my own surgeries and medical care.

cfile likes this.
  8. cfile

Between both companies I had 28 years.. I am retired now 9 years in Aug at 50 (1 week before turning 51) as my goal was 50 :) I agree the knowledge over the years helps with all things medical. Big hugs.. glad you are doing well now after everything of last year. Hugs my friend!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  9. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I have had similar, but only on a few occasions throughout the years. Mine were more colored, and like jagged lines around the edges. From my past history, they said it's probably from the migraines that I've gotten, as they can cause eye impairments. Nothing else has been wonky, and no other issues. This was also going back a number of years as well. My migraines have tended to lessen and lessen over the years, thankfully.

I also have those pesky floaters, lol!

Thank you for the PSA and information!

KimJ likes this.
  10. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Kim, you're right - eye stuff is scary. Glad you had it checked out! I've had my eyes examined every year since I was a child and will continue to do so. In fact, I go again next week. I've been having periodic flashes for a few years, but my doctor says there's nothing there to worry about. My biggest concern is the cataracts that have been forming which means that I can't wear contacts until I need to have them removed, but that may not be for years yet.

KimJ likes this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

@cfile @gonewiththewind Try doing medical transcription for a hospital radiology department. I learned a few things there... but have forgotten most since it was over 30 years ago and I only did it for 3 years. Medical terms is the one thing that stuck with me for a long time. Except now the terminology for some diseases has changed. My mom had emphysema which they now consider COPD. Her records all specified emphysema. Dad's SO, Martha was diagnosed with COPD a few years before Dad died. On the sly Dad told me she had emphysema but she refused to call it that.

cfile and gonewiththewind like this.
  12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@HavaDrPepper I did transcription some as well, for our investigations department at the law firm where I worked. I learned quite a bit from those as well!

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  13. cfile

Yup very true Re terminology changes .. I retired right when they were changing from icd9 to icd10 codes and adding an extra digit in the decimal on diagnosis codes to fine tune

14. HavaDrPepper

I transcribed for 2 doctors in a small radiology department. The full time radiologist was Korean. The part-time radiologist was not. Learning curve was steep!

gonewiththewind likes this.