Scrapping size

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2022' started by ta_merkins, Jan 30, 2022.

1. ta_merkins

ta_merkins Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

I was a digital scrapbooker for approx 13 years before moving to mostly hybrid. As a digital scrapbooker, I always did 12x12 then printed at 8x8. Now as a hybrid scrapper, I have albums that are TN size, square size (both 8x8 and 12x12) as well as 6x8. For December Daily, I used one of Ali Edwards's 10x8 albums. What size I scrap in depends on the story I'm telling and which album it's going to fit best in.

Anyone else scrap in other sizes?

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I mostly scrap 12x12, but I will print 8x8 or 10x10. I've done a few 8.5x11 (the size I started out in as a paper scrapper!) But I really love the design aspect of the square size.
    I did a few 6x8 for December Daily, but they aren't easy to print, so back to square for me.

3. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm a square scrapper. I was a rectangle (8.5x11) scrapper for 7 or so years before switching to square, and I always felt like there were too many papers and borders designed for square that I couldn't use. It was also a time suck to resize and reconfigure templates so they'd look good in rectangle. I don't miss that! I mostly print 12x12 for our main albums and 10x10 or 8x8 for vacation albums. I love TNs, but I use them more for planning than scrapping.

bestcee likes this.
  4. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I scrap everything at 12x12 for a couple reasons. The first is that it's the traditional size that most digi products are offered at and secondly because you can always reduce and not lose quality, but there is only so much resampling that most programs can do if you need to enlarge. I mostly print at 8x8, but I've gotten requests from family for larger pages so they can more easily read the journaling, so I may print at 12x12. I only print at a square aspect ratio (unless I'm designing a card).

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've always scrapped 12x12. That's how I started in traditional scrapping 22 years ago so just kept it the same when I started digi.

I print 12x12 single prints for me but have done several Shutterfly books to give to cousins. I did those in 10x10 and found the journaling was readable for me in that size. I had done an 8x8 about 8 years ago and even back then the journaling was hard for me to read. One of my books done in 2021 had some of the same pages from 2013 and boy the difference in the journaling! I will never print a book any smaller than 10x10. And, those will fit on regular bookshelves because not every one has shelves that will hold 12x12!

I've done a few pages in 8.5x11 but didn't enjoy doing them. They were pages that I was printing on my printer to put in plastic sleeves.

6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I mostly scrap 12x12 and print 8x8. I do scrap 6x8 for my December project, and last year I did 8.5x11 for my weekly layouts. I'm planning to try that again this year, if I ever get started on it :giggle.

7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I made 12x12 pages until the end of 2020. Prior to that, I had occasionally tried other sizes, but nothing I really liked. But for a few years, up through 2020, I was no longer wanting to print big heavy 12x12 albums. I tried printing some 8.5x11 pages in the magazine format at Blurb and I fell in love. I’ve been scrapping for that ever since.
    Actually, I usually scrap 17x11, which is two 8.5x11 pages. So that way, I know facing pages will look good together and I have even more area on which to scrap than I did on a mere 12x12 page. :lol

mcurtt and Cath_ like this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I scrap in 12x12 almost exclusively. I do have a COVID album that I started in a TN. I'm still working on it.

9. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I scrap 12x12, having been a paper scrapbooker I love this size to get all my photos on and to still have the space for goodies, title and journaling.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  10. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I started hybrid, then moved to totally digital.
    I mostly scrap at 8x8, and occasionally at 10x8 (yes horizontal) if I need a bit more width but don't want to do a double page spread.

11. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Always always always have scrapped in 8.5 x 11. I started in 2006, wanted to print my own layouts before larger format printers were around. Plus I was able to use standard page protectors... In 2016, I discovered Blurb and their magazine format. I now have over 20 magazines printed with my layouts. I hardly ever use my printer... And @michelepixels does a great job in creating double page layouts in the rectangular format.

Karen and michelepixels like this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Aw, shucks! Thanks! :wub

Karen and mcurtt like this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am mostly a 12x12 scrapper and print in 12x12 Shutterfly books. I have one pocket album that is also 12x12, but that I did hybrid so a lot of 2x3 and 4x6 stuff I printed out and stuffed in the pockets. I couldn't keep up with that method though and never even finished an album. Lol. I've also dabbled with a 6x8 pocket album (didn't finish) and I did a mix of journaling and scrapping in a TN size for almost two years. I really really love the TN size and miss those smaller books that I could take with me and work on stuff here and there, but again... I wasn't able to keep up. I do think I will go back to that size again sometime soon. Maybe after the kids are out of the house and there might be less to keep up on? :giggle

mcurtt likes this.
  14. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

I scrap 12x12 but print 8x8, because it’s cheaper lol. I’ve never really tried any other size or shape

15. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I scrap 12x12 and print 8x8. I'm hoping to dip my toes into hybrid scrapping with a special project for February, and that will be TN size. I did (and by did, I mean started) our wedding album as physical 6x8 pocket style. I liked the smaller format for being less overwhelming, and the pockets made it easy to not worry too much about embellishments. I'm hoping that by starting small with my TN project it won't be so scary to do physical - since I've never actually made a traditional physical scrapbook page. :hide

rach3975 likes this.
  16. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

And this. I love the TN 4x8 size, forgot about that. But I still center it on an 8.5 x 11 page and print it via Blurb magazines. I've done that for a December Disney trip (from 1996) and the four Document Your December albums I've made. Lots of white space with that cute 4x8 layout on it. :-)

Karen likes this.