Scanner recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by KellyM, Sep 20, 2015.

1. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

I am thinking of undertaking moving film photos to digital. :dizzy
    I have many albums and will start with scanning the most important events from film to my LR library. I would like to invest in a scanner that give me the best results.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!
    Kelly

2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

You'd probably be better off sending the photos to be scanned. You might even be able to do it locally if you have a nice camera shop. Scanning is a pain, it's hard to do well, and our takes forever, but you aren't likely to need to do it much once this project is over, so having a scanner is usually not the best way to do it.

3. KellyM

4. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you, Kelly! Except I'm going back even further - I need to start scanning my mother's boxes full of old slides!

I have an Epson Perfection V550 Photo Scanner that scans photos, negatives & documents. I haven't had time to hook it up yet, so I can't tell you about the quality, but researching it & talking to the sales guy at Henry's, I'm confident it's high quality.

We looked into having someone professional scan them, but it is so ridiculously expensive here it was cheaper to buy the scanner!

Good luck to you! I love going through old photos.

5. KellyM

Thanks Melanie! Celeste actually forwarded to me a scanner review and your Epson was at the top of the list. Love that you can scan negatives too! Today I have been thinking of all the old pics from my hubby and I have from our families! I am excited to get them out of boxes and backed-up on my computer!

6. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Oh Kelly, that sounds like quite and undertaking! I have an Epson too and have been very happy with it, but I've never used it for more than a handful of items at a time. I think I would take Lorry's advice. home scanning would be an awfully slow and tedious process for your needs.

7. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I think I have the very same scanner at home. I inherited boxes of photos from my grandmother and I'm scanning them slowly but surely. I scanned 10 boxes of slides, too. That scanner is a work horse!

8. KellyM

Thanks Stacia! It's at the top of my Xmas list :)

9. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I have an HP Deskjet 6988. Scans documents, slides, 35mm, 2.25. I absolutely love it, especially that I can convert anything to a PDF once scanned.