San Antiono

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dotcomkari, Jan 2, 2018.

1. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Eric, Neelix and I are on our way to San Antiono for a trip the 16th through the 21st of Jan..
    WE have never been there before and are looking for recommendations on CHEAP (yes CHEAP) places to stay.. eat.. and things to do. We will be flying in .. so we want to know the best ways to get from here to there.. as we will probably not be renting a car. I do know I want to see the Alamo.. and Eric wants to eat an In-and-out Burger (his dream).. *L*.. but other than that.. we have no big plans

bbymks5 likes this.
  2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

It's been such a long time since I've been there ... I do remember there being lots of little burrito food trucks everywhere. Something like that might be a good choice for a cheap breakfast or lunch - breakfast burritos were huge I remember! The river walk is lovely and free to stroll along!

Have fun!

dotcomkari likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Last time I was there was in 2010 and we stayed at the Marriott Rivercenter. It wasn't really cheap, but the location was amazing! We were able to walk most everywhere we went! The Riverwalk is right outside the door, there was a Denny's across the street if I'm not mistaken, and it was within short walking distance of The Alamo (I could see it out the hotel window). We actually only took a cab once to go to another mall that my son wanted me to see, everything else we walked to. I would definitely recommend something in that area if that one is out of your price range. Hope you have an amazing time!! San Antonio is beautiful!! I'd love to go back someday!

dotcomkari likes this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Alas, although it says of Alamo...I am from a city in a state west of Texas....lol called Alamogordo! bhahwhaha
    but Texas is fun! San Antonio holds fearful memories for me, as boot camp for the Air Force! yikes! lol

5. Becca Bonneville

Becca Bonneville Oh my God Becky

I bet @scarletsierra would have some tips since she lives there. Have a great trip!

dotcomkari likes this.
  6. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Welcome to Texas, Kari! I'm about 2.5 hours north of San Antonio, and I was there in August to see Duran Duran at the Tobin Center.

You'll end up paying more to stay in the Riverwalk area, but it really is worth it because that's where everything is. All of the shops and tourist attractions are all centrally located, and you can pretty much walk to most of them.

I would say it's a trade off between paying less and having to drive in and fight the traffic (still have to pay to park) to be able to do anything fun, or you can just bite the bullet and pay more for a hotel up front and then peacefully just walk anywhere you want (though it may end up being too cold to walk now anyway).

I wish you safe travels and a big Texas welcome!

dotcomkari likes this.
  7. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I can't help with recommendations, but want to wish you safe travels and lots of fun! You'll have some cool photos to use for MOC!

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

That might depend on where you are coming from :thumbsups After all, tourists here talk about how warm 60 F is, while I see residents wearing puffy jackets! :think

I've never been. I can tell you In-and-Out is cheap. And pretty good because it's fresh.

9. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I went to visit Sara in San Antonio last year. It really is a wonderful city. Besides the Alamo, my two favorites were a nighttime boat ride through the River Walk area and the Botanical Gardens. Both were relatively inexpensive and very fun.

Oh yes...and don't miss the Farmer's Market! Super yummy food trucks and very dog friendly for Nelix!