running apps

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by nockosh, Sep 2, 2013.

1. nockosh

nockosh googy eggs for everyone!!!

I started running a little while back and have become addicted, so DH got me an ipod for my birthday. So now I am after a good running app, one that I can map my routes and it keeps track of my time, distance etc, what are you all using and has there been any hiccups with it.

I tried run keeper (the free version) this morning and I loved how it interrupted my music and told me how long I had been running for etc but the distance wasn't accurate. It had me running over 6km when I know I only did 3km. When I had a look at the route after I had finished it had me crossing over paddocks and into a kangaroo reserve etc so not overly accurate there because I know I didn't do that!

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

I had problems with Runkeeper too... I now use Runtastic and have been happy with that and it's been accurate for me... I think there's a free version

3. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

I have been using the Nike app, and like it - it gives me the splits at each mile or km, it talks if you want, I can run my music right thru the app, and it seems accurate for me! Happy searching and running!!!

4. nockosh

thank you I will check these both out. Hopefully they don't have me running across paddocks and amongst the kangaroos!

5. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

:rofl

6. nfenchak

nfenchak Where is my personal shopper?

I use 2 nike apps - one is the nike + ipod - I use this on the treadmill & you have to buy the little chip for your shoe. I also use the Nike Running app which has the gps capability. I use this when I am doing runs outside. Both apps are free. The nike +ipod goes off your stride and you have to calibrate it (so you need to first run around a track or a place where you know it's an accurate measurement - and then every now and then you need to adjust the distance if your stride changes) the Nike running is gps and it's a bit off, but nothing major - for instance when I ran a 6K race it said I ran 6.2K and when I did the 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles it said I did 13.5) so nothing major out of whack.
    Another good one is Map my run and another one that looks cool (haven't used it though) is Strava

Enjoy!! Nadine

7. nockosh

I tried runtastic this week and it worked well. The distance was a little out but nothing compared to runkeeper. I lose gps connection at one spot so it has to guess where I went until it picks me up again, but its not thinking I'm chasing kangaroos which is a good thing!

I will try the nike one next week and see how that goes too

thanks for the suggestions

8. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

I use Map My Run + and I love it.

9. nockosh

I tried the Nike one this week and it was a lot more accurate than the others as far as distance. The only thing I miss on that one is not having a map of where I ran. (if that feature is there, I'm yet to find it). But time and distance is more important than the map feature so I can live without that.

I will check out Map My Run too, thanks Rachel.

10. Miss Storybrook

Miss Storybrook New Member

I use runkeeper, I tried others too, but the main thing was to turn off my WiFi and I always count 1% difference. I'm just stuck to runkeeper, other apps have the same flaws. (that is my experience ;) )

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  11. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I use Endomondo. But I'm not in an area where GPS could go in and out so I can't verify it's accuracy. But my maps are always Eerily accurate. I'm also using it on a cell phone so it can use mobile towers to improve accuracy.

12. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

the only one i've ever tried is C25K. the GPS on that seems to be relatively accurate, and I like the program structure... it was doable and I didn't feel like giving up every day.