Running Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by Lisa Carroll, May 17, 2013.

1. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

I started running in the summer of 2010 - and absolutely loved it. Ran my first half the following February (albeit it slowly, with some walking the last 3 miles)...then things started going downhill. I wasn't running consistently due to frequent vacations and lack of motivation. It got to where every run was a battle. I finally stopped running all together last September and did Crossfit 5-6 days a week instead.

In the past couple months I have been wanting to add running back into the mix and every time I get out there it is a huge struggle! I basically spend the entire run thinking about how hard it is to run, how much I suck at it, I would rather be walking, etc...

I did a 5k a few weeks ago, and ran most of it, think my time was just over 35 minutes. So I know I can run, I know my legs are strong enough as is my cardio...but I just can't make myself do it.

So, any advice? Should I step back and do run/walk intervals? Or should I just except the fact that I am not a runner??

2. nfenchak

nfenchak Where is my personal shopper?

NOOOOO - you are a runner!!! One thing I've noticed big times with running - is it is a HUGE mental game. You can never ever ever say while you are running that it's horrible and it sucks - your whole body tenses up and it will suck. Today I ran 3 miles and all of it were hard. I kept saying over and over - it's a tough run, just make it to one...its tough, make it to 2, it's a hard one but you are strong!! I kept picturing people running in my mind and I pictured people who couldn't run b/c of issues and that I don't have those issues.... get yourself pumped up to do it - find a cool running route where your mind can enjoy - find a buddy who runs. Once you get into the groove it will come back and you will have some bad runs - but the great runs will make it all worth it and all the runs will make you very proud of yourself and you will feel stronger -especially w/ all that crossfit.

another thing - make sure all the crossfit hasn't tightened you up too much - do you have a foam roller? that may help loosen up the legs and hips.

3. blinks14

blinks14 The wine made me do it!

I have been a runner off and on for the last 15 years. I actually love to run but when I first get back into it I have an adjustment period. Not where I hate it but that I have to to work it into my routine. I find that signing up for an event like a 5k helps motivate me until
    I get to the point where I want to run. That I think about it until I am able to get out there. I pick a training plan with a nice variety in there. I also find that whe I used to hate speed work I really enjoy it now. I like the sense of accomplishment it gives me.

And I second the foam roller. I own one as well and it is very helpful.

4. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I don't run at all, I should start out saying that! But one of our patients is a distance running coach and we were just talking about this the other day when I was explaining why I stopped running. There's no physiological benefit to steady state cardio and it's so enormously stressful on the human body that really the only reason he sees for a person to distance run is because they enjoy the challenge of it. Interval training is more effective for improving cardiovascular fitness and endurance levels, and it won't deplete the muscle mass you've built doing Cross Fit - so if it's what you want to do anyway, then I would go that route. :)

5. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

The first thing you have to do is stop comparing how you're running now with how you ran before. Whatever happened before is behind you and your path now is forward. I know it's really hard to deal with how much harder it is and how much slower you are, and you end up just beating yourself up. So, you have to let it all go and just start now and take small steps!

If you can run the whole time, just keep doing it. It will get easier. Try adding distance to one run a week until you are doing a 5 miler for that one, that way your 3 will be easier.

The best thing you could do is find a running buddy. Someone to help the time pass by and distract you from how crappy you feel.

6. Lisa Carroll

Thank you so much for the advice, it really helped today and I was able to run 3.5 miles without stopping!! And it felt great. I listened to a couple podcasts for the first time today, which was a perfect distraction for me. And nfenchak (sorry don't know your real name) I realized today how right you are about the body tensing up with the negative thoughts, because today it was the exact opposite. With my mind occupied I was able get in tune with my body, I felt the strain on the hills, but knew it was short lived, I could concentrate on how my feet were landing, in fact I almost kept going, but the podcast ended just as I was approaching my house.

Peppermint - I hear ya! And have no intention of doing any long distance running, one half marathon was plenty for me!! Just want to be able to run 3 - 4 miles a few times a week, and do some 5k's with my family.

And I do have a foam roller, just hadn't been using it...changing that now.

7. nfenchak

nfenchak Where is my personal shopper?

Lisa - How is the running going? I'm so glad you had a great run (Nadine by the way, lol) Hope you have had a bunch more!! I've also decided long distances are not great on my body - love the runners high from them though, lol!

:run Nadine :)

8. Lisa Carroll

Running is going well. Still not doing a lot of it, but when I do get out there, I am not having the issues I had before. Thanks again for all the advice ladies, it definitely helped me get out of my slump!!

9. renee82

renee82 renee82

Looks like a lot of good advice! It' definitely is a mind game. I just ran my first half as well and I always know when I'm hitting a wall because the battle inside my head starts... lol! I found this quote the other day and I though it was perfect:

[​IMG]

10. Lisa Carroll

So, so, so TRUE! What a great quote! And congrats on running your first half!

11. blinks14

blinks14 The wine made me do it!

Great job on your first half. I start training for my first full in 2 weeks.