Runners... i need a pep talk!

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by klee73010, Mar 18, 2016.

1. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

So I am trying to feel back into my groove before starting up my 10K app again this year. Lately, I have the absolute worst self talk. "Just give up, you're not running fast enough today" "just get done" "I can't do this"
    Not only am I pushing through the physical challenge, but emotionally I'm challenged as well. I don't know how to get back to running being a positive thing. I like running for the first 5 or so minutes... and then when I can finally look at my stats for the run and find them acceptable (but again, "acceptable", not "really good run today, good job!").

Anyway. Just need a little pep talk and ideas for what you've used to get over that negative self talk, if you've dealt with this.

2. bestcee

bestcee Lorelei and Rory are my neighbors

Ugh, I have horrible self talk! And no motivation. I'm hoping it's just the time of year, and the fact that our weather has been up and down warm and cold too much!
    As far as running motivation, I'm no help. I keep considering becoming a runner then talk myself out of it! Maybe you could start with the little thing? Like not look at your stats everyday? And just focus on how you feel about getting out and running? Regardless of how fast or slow it was?

klee73010 likes this.
  3. klee73010

@bestcee I read an article recently about a mantra for running. I need to remember where I saw it so I can go back... but there was something about form in there. posture... or something. argh. anyway. my point... this article made me think about my form, and better running in form, so that you feel better about it overall... the past couple times I've gone, focusing on that aspect has helped... for the first 5 minutes. haha.

Other things that help briefly are focusing on the music I'm playing... I refreshed my playlist today so I had new songs. (Maybe they were a little "too good" because I was winded after the first quarter mile... the songs might have been too upbeat, and my rhythm was too fast)...

and also, looking ahead instead of down. sometimes when I get really "down" during the run, I realize I'm paying too close attention to the ground. If I look up, and focus on a point that is eye level, but further ahead (like an end goal), I tend to do a bit better... and I remember one single run I went on from, idk, 10 years ago??? (wHY?!?!) where I pushed myself all the way around the lake (about 2.5 miles, one of the first times I did that distance) by not looking down, and just kept pushing the goal further... like, run until that lamp post up there. Okay past the lamp post, can you make it across the bridge? awesome, now, past that hill, come on! and then I was at the end.

okay. See... I have little things I know that work. And I've been doing them all, but they only seem to work briefly.
    I know I sound totally whiny. I don't mean to. I just know that telling myself "I'm lazy" or "bad run" because I wanted to give in and walk after half a mile instead of a mile and a half is not good. At least I went. I did make it home. My average time was right on par with my usual, so obviously my running was too fast, and next time, pace myself better....

all of those things would be better to say to myself. But I can't seem to say them when I need them!!

4. klee73010

*sigh* i keep remembering my counselor last year telling me I needed to go be "stuart smalley" from SNL (which I had to look up, i had no idea what she was talking about)... maybe I just need an Art Journal page or 2... or 5 or 7. idk. :giggle

bestcee likes this.
  5. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

I kind of have the opposite problem - I have to convince myself to go for a run. I have a ton of excuses - I got home too late, it's too cold, it's too hot, I just ate something, I have things to do, I don't have time, I don't feel like it, I'll go tomorrow, etc. But once I do go, it only takes me 5 minutes to start to feel good about it.

When I'm running, I like to listen to music, sing along (to myself), and daydream. If I focus on my running, I tend to get bored, I can't wait for it to be over, and I want to quit early. I do record my stats but I don't worry about it much right now - at least I got off the couch and went for a run! My pace and distance will improve as long as I continue running. For me, it also helps to have a reason to run or a goal as my motivation. I had a goal to lose weight in 2015. This year, I signed up for a 10K in July and a half marathon in October - my only real goal is to not be last at either event. And I'll probably have to find something else for next year to keep me running. It sounds like you just have to find your reason for running and that should help you push past the negative self talk. Good luck!

bestcee and klee73010 like this.
  6. klee73010

Thank you @merank ! I too, sometimes, have trouble talking myself into going. Wednesday it was "well, hubby went, so I can't be outdone...uuuuggghhhh". Haha. At least it motivated me to go, but maybe I am too focused on the competition part of it, even if I'm only competing against my own times and stats. I have been looking at some 5Ks and 10Ks to register for, but haven't yet...

Anyway, high 5 to you! :)