Resizing Template?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by burnbright, Oct 15, 2020.

1. burnbright

burnbright Active Member

I have been working on a book of Christmas highlights. I am using all the stripes and minimalist squared templates from Paislee Press. I took the 4x4 templates and resized to 5x5 and saved them with a new name. Then started adding my photos and text. Now that I have made 15 pages I am rethinking the size. For all the time it is taking to make, I would like a bigger book.

Question: Can I resize the completed 5x5 psd pages to 8x8? or should I resize the original templates and redo the pages?

2. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Whenever you upsize a raster image (JPG, png, etc.), you are reducing the quality of the image. Percentage-wise, going from 5 inches to 8 inches is a pretty big increase. I'm afraid you would be disappointed with the final printed result, as it is likely to be blurry or have artifacting.

You don't say what software you are using. If it's Photoshop and you originally brought the photos, etc. in as Smart Objects and have not rasterized them at all during the process, then you can safely upsize them as long as the new size isn't larger than the original. Smart Objects retain all of the original file information.

I'm not sure how the templates themselves will respond to the enlargement. I don't have the templates, but I assume the layers within them are raster (not a vector shape). It is possible that you could end up with soft edges/blurred lines if you are increasing them by that much. You may want to experiment with the different options in the "resample" box (again, assuming Photoshop) to see which gives you the cleanest result. Zoom in on your screen and check things at 100% to get a better idea of how they are responding to the change.

I hope that helps. :)

Iowan likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I agree with Kim.

What you could do is place your already-finished page onto the middle of an 8x8 canvas with a coordinating paper below. That way it'll look "finished" and purposeful but won't affect the quality of your images.

4. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I agree with the gals. I would create a new 8x8 and drag the template layers all together to the new 8x8 and MAYBE increase the file a tiny bit but maybe the extra space could be used for journaling.

cfile likes this.
  5. burnbright

burnbright Active Member

Thanks for the information. I am using PSE. I don't know how to tell if an element is vector. It is just squares and a straight lines.

Maybe I will try making my own template. Or keep going at 5x5.

6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have the minimalist squared templates so I'll give it a go with one of two at 8x8". But I won't add a photo UNTIL I've enlarged. A lot depends, though, on the original size of your photos. I work with pretty large ones and then reduce with the transform tool when I add them to layouts.

I added the 4" template to a gray 12" background, then enlarged the 4" by dragging it to the corner and with the rulers showing used the transform tool to pull it to 8x8. I then centered it. (In the end I had this photo of my granddaughter and it was only 690x518px so I just enlarged it with the transform tool to fit the photo spot.) I just clicked on the two bits of journaling and Hannah defaulted to 24pt and the location to 22 something pt. Saved the psd, made a jpeg and then saved for web. No problems at all! so I say Do It!! I don't have the other product so I can't try that one.

This is the web version so it remains good, imho. Can't wait to see what you do with the templates!!!

minimalist-squared-hannah-web.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020