Reminder to do this!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by navaja77, Dec 12, 2018.

1. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

My external hard drive is clicking and giving me system errors. A classic sign it is about to kick the bucket. I'm not worried, just annoyed. Why? Because I have everything backed to Crashplan, which included the files on my EHD.

So, a friendly reminder to back up your files :)

Now to go buy another EHD...

Chippi, djp332, Tree City and 3 others like this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

That click is no longer scarry to me either!!woot to back up. I use backblaze. Lost an ehd and in 3 days all was well. I even scrapped new photos with new kits during the wait!

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for the reminder! I use Backblaze, too. :)

bestcee likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

5. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

do you still have Crash Plan? I had to disconnect one of my EHD earlier in the year (I think July?) because the Mac was crashing often and in my experience my Seagate's EHDs give up in 5 years....
    I had a couple of crashes when I was with BackBlaze and all was ok, then with CrashPlan, not so well as in recivery, lots of files came back empty....
    Then at some point (I think it was 2017) they wrote to tell us that they were ending their home plans. Of you wanted to stay with them, the business plans, but for us it was expensive.
    They also recommended a place in which you wouldn't need to do initial back up, but I found it expensive....
    so, to this day, I have no online back up :(
    I really REALLY need to sort that out!!!!

6. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

I am so bad at this! Just looked into Backblaze and I'm gonna do it. That way I'm not worried (which I am sometimes!). I do back up my EHD, but not as regularly as I should. Thanks for the reminder!

MrsPeel likes this.
  7. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Yes, this is a great reminder! There's a commercial for a new phone (I think the new Galaxy Note?). There's a voiceover that says something like "It's more storage than you need...until you need it." And whenever I see it I think "YES! That's how I feel about having 4 EHDs and BackBlaze! It seems like more than I need...until I need it."

bestcee, Karen and MrsPeel like this.
  8. MrsPeel

I just got an add from Flickr that it is under a dollar for annual back up of all your photos..... I m thinking maybe that will do until I sort the whole thing back up......

Tree City and Cherylndesigns like this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

It's totally worth it, Cynthia - if you're a Flickr user. I've been on Flickr since 2008 and all the photos I take (on any device) back up automatically to Flickr. I just bought a year's PRO subscription and there's a coupon if you do it now. They're going to limit free accounts to 1,000 photos and I have 17,000 on there. WOW - I can't lose any of those.

MrsPeel likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I just had a EHD die two weeks ago. I don't have an online backup, but I do my own so thankfully I didn't lose anything. I keep an extra 4TB drive at work and then I bring my EHD in on Fridays and back up to that. I consider that my offsite backup. :) I actually have the dead EHD on my desk right now to send back. It was only 1 year old, so it's covered under the Seagate two year warranty... so they are going to send me a new one. But in the meantime I of course went and bought a different one. I was twitchy until all my files were in at least two places again.

When I went to Best Buy to get the new 4TB EHD, the guy who checked my receipt at the door commented on my needing 4TB... it was kinda rude... like don't judge my storage needs. I'm a digital scrapper... I NEED storage! :giggle @Tree City

MrsPeel and Tree City like this.
  11. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh, keeping it at work is a great idea for an offsite location! :) And you've got me thinking ... should I get another EHD, fill it up, and give it to DH to keep at his work?

And as for Best Buy: I can't believe he questioned you like that! Not cool. :nuno

MrsPeel and Karen like this.
  12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

:giggle

MrsPeel and Tree City like this.
  13. bestcee

Lol! That's annoying and slightly funny.
    Hopefully, this makes you smile: yesterday I was judged at the grocery store for not buying pink salt. Seriously?!?

Karen and MrsPeel like this.
  14. bestcee

I'm ticked at this decision. It really irks me that they are turning Flickr into Smugmug part 2. It bothers me more that the price is so high! Seriously, the price they are charging for just my images is the same as Backblaze for my entire computer. Needless to say, I am not buying. I downloaded what I have there, just in case it's not in my files and backed them up to BackBlaze instead. Sorry for my soapbox. :madness I'm a little cranky over it.

So, my only question with this: what happens if your area is hit by something? Like when we had the hurricane and floods back east, if my backup had been at dh's work, it would have been in the same if not greater risk zone of being lost. I intentionally picked an online service located in a different state for that reason. Obviously, right now my biggest threat to my data is theft since we don't really do weather in the desert. So local off-site would probably work for me.

MrsPeel likes this.
  15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Been there. Not fun! Backblaze!!!
    Hope you get everything saves and safe!

MrsPeel likes this.
  16. MrsPeel

@Cherylndesigns that is why I am in two minds about Flickr, like Courtney says, BackBlaze is way cheaper and backs up everything.... (btw, I need to cat ch up with you, these past few days have been hectic around here!!)

I NEED to get organized to do the Backblaze thing!!!!

and @Karen @Tree City @bestcee

yeah, the judgmental people..... I have been judge for everything, in many phases in life, some people are just ....lets not get into it...but on top of beong a horrible act, in people in retail, it is even un professional!!!!

17. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I had crash plan, and when they stopped personla accounts I never got another one. And flickr has all my layouts but now they will be charging. I dont know what to do!!!!

MrsPeel likes this.
  18. MrsPeel

Donna, with Flickr, I think we are better of getting Backblaze.
    I am in the same situation, had Crash Plan and then when they finished the personals, I found the place they recommended too expensive, so to this day I don't have back up :( need to get it sorted soon!!!!

19. Cherylndesigns

I understand the upset about Flickr. That being said, years ago, I had "Pro" and they did away with that and gave it to everybody free of charge. It's been free for years now. I absolutely can't do without it because I use it as a "bridge" from my phone pics to my laptop. I don't have an Apple computer (that syncs my iPhone with the computer) so when I take pictures on my iPhone, they're instantly backed up to Flickr. I can sit down immediately and download the pictures I just took to my computer to use in a layout. Flickr has always and continues to be absolutely flawless (in my opinion).

I honestly don't use Flickr as a backup as much as I use it for transferring my pictures. I told my husband that I absolutely have to keep it. I mentioned earlier, I have 17,000 pictures on there, since I've been on it since 2008. I know that's pretty ridiculous, but I also have lots of albums that I've created over the years that I can't lose.

I have Backblaze, but I can't just hop over there and download 10 or 20 pictures five minutes after I've taken them. I also have tons of pictures on Google, but they do have limits. I relied so heavily on Picasa for many years and they just decided to shut it down. I know a lot of people who were really upset by that.

I'm not trying to convince anybody to stay or not stay with Flickr, if you can keep your pictures at or below 1,000 - it's still free.

bestcee likes this.
  20. Cherylndesigns

MrsPeel likes this.