Red Light Therapy | Pad Patter 6.9

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 9, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I was just wondering if anyone here had tried red light therapy? I've read pretty mixed reviews about it, with some saying they saw great skin improvements, and others are pretty meh about it. I just recently joined Planet Fitness and they have a red light therapy machine that I have not tried yet, so I thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone has any input :)

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I live under a rock, so I haven't even heard of it. :giggle What's it do? Is it like tanning, but under a special red light instead?

bellbird, jesskab and IntenseMagic like this.
  3. IntenseMagic

I hadn't really heard about it either until recently. The machine at PF is like a stand-up tanning bed, but yes, red light instead of white, and it doesn't tan. Some of the benefits are supposed to be decreased skin inflammation, smoother skin tone, repairing sun damage, fading scars and stretch marks, and even reducing wrinkles.

bellbird likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Well... I could use help with ALL of those! Hmmm.....

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

IMO, if the reviews are mixed, don't spend your money on it.

I have a cousin that is a dermatologist in Orlando. I pm'd her asking what it is and her response was "Not enough data for me to endorse at this time". She has written articles for magazines and periodicals and is well respected in the field. She also has the training that she can study any scrapings (pathology) she removes right in her office... Mayo Clinic trained. Not because she is a relative but just from her credentials, I would not even entertain the thought of using it.

I'll stick with the skin I was given at birth... wrinkles and all.

bellbird and IntenseMagic like this.
  6. IntenseMagic

Thanks for that information! Great to hear from someone who is not being paid for their review one way or the other. I'm skeptical of everything I read. It's a perk with the PF membership, so it doesn't cost me anything to use it. The machine also has a vibrating foot board that is supposed to help with balance and core strength. I'm kind meh on that. But I would have a really hard time standing in one space for 12 minutes unless I was going to get some real benefits from it lol.

bellbird and HavaDrPepper like this.
  7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I have to start with an apology-- The title made me laugh- as I took the red light into a TOTALLY different direction! :giggle:hummm:giggle:giggle
    And since I have nothing to add that is constructive:shrug, I'll just say this has been informative. Always something new on TLP boards!:thumbsups

8. IntenseMagic

:giggle:giggle I laughed after I posted and wondered if that might cross anyone's mind when they read it:giggle:giggle

9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Well it was the first thing that crossed my mind... Then again I have been to Brussels and a missionary friend took us to the Red Light district to do a prayer walk. Yes, they sat in store windows with red lights.

And the vibrating board? Probably would help you pass the time as you strive to stay balanced.

jesskab likes this.
  10. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

:lol:lol:lol

11. IntenseMagic

The info on it did say that they recommend it for people 50+ to help maintain balance.

12. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

And here I thought someone was traumatized for getting a ticket for running a red light.

Karen likes this.
  13. IntenseMagic

:compcoffee

Karen likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

gotta admit now i know what it is meant to be for (i think i live under a similar rock to Karen), i'd be skeptical too and glad to hear the expert opinion of Rene's cousin- i had a skin cancer removed from my ear at the end of april and i'm still going back for weekly-fortnightly checks and fixes becaue it hasn't healed properly, so more light is the last thing i'd want; but my first thought from the title that this was about traffic jam or road rage de-stressing (don't yell and honk, deep breaths, calming mantras etc :giggle)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am like Kim and wouldn't use it, mainly because I have had Melanoma and survived so I stay clear of all those things. Maybe if you could use the shaker part for the balance with out turning on the red light? Let us know how it goes :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. IntenseMagic

There have probably been times I needed that kind of red light therapy, too :giggle

One of the good things about it is that it is not UV light. I used to be a tanning bed addict before I was older and wiser, and totally get the concern. I'll check it out more when I go back.

cfile likes this.