Recommendations: USA Food

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Sep 7, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Okay, so we are headed out on a grand adventure. Not as grand as I'd like, but probably plenty!

We have plans for decent local food stops, but you know there will be at least a day or two when things go wrong and we need to grab faster food. So, that brings me to my question:

Do you have a localish chain that you recommend that's in your area?

Like, if you come out west I recommend trying In N Out and Raising Cane's. I know Raising Cane's is spreading, but it's still not everywhere. If you come to my area, I'll recommend a localish (there are a few in Texas too) pizza place Mr. Jim's, or the totally local pizza place if you are in my end of town.

Cheryl always mentions Whataburger. We don't have that here, so I've never eaten there. Another Example is Steak N Shake. We don't have that this direction either.

So, how vague/specific is that!?!? :giggle

honeyandcheese likes this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Well if you make it to NC or Nashville, eat at Cook Out. The burgers and stuff are good, but oh my the shakes. They have 40 flavors to chose from AND they let you combine up to 3 flavors in 1 shake. They make them with the real thing, i.e. that banana one has hunks of banana, that blueberry cheesecake - yup pieces of blueberry cheesecake! My favorite it chocolate fudge peanut butter banana. Oh, just remembered --- pumpkin spice should be coming really soon....

Five Guys for a burger - not sure of their range but I know they are in DC, Virginia, and NC. Blaze Pizza for pizza. If you come to Durham, we have lots of local spots and Only Burger has the best burgers. Oh, and Chick-fil-A because Chicken. Otherwise, I skip most fast food. Zaxby's has good chicken but 1) they are pricey and 2) the calorie count is huge - salads are 800+.

And then because my daughter has me hooked on it: Boba snow (like Boba tea but without the tea). Yeah, it is an Asian thing. Of course, if you came to Durham, I would take you to all my favorite places.

honeyandcheese likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Water ice is huge in Pennsylvania. I've heard John's Water Ice is good (I've never been), and lots of people like Rita's, but that's a national chain (although it started in PA). Oh, and cheesesteaks, of course, but that seems more like a cliche than a true "good food," if that makes sense. DH loves DiNic's, but that isn't a proper cheesesteak...it's MUCH better.

4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Nothing to recommend, just being a sticky beak & regretting it now b/c I will be dreaming of blueberry cheesecake milkshakes! @BevG sounds divine, calorific but my idea of heaven!

cfile, Karen, bestcee and 1 other person like this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Too bad you aren't coming near Lima, Ohio. Kewpee is the best hamburger joint in the area. Add the frosty and you have a divine meal. There are 3 locations in Lima. I hear there are 2 other locations (Lansing, MI and Racine, WI) but I can't tell you if their quality lives up to the quality of the Lima locations. The reason the burgers are so good.... they are made fresh every morning from locally raised beef.

Little known fact. Kewpee was the inspiration for Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy's to start his small business which we all know today!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kewpee

bestcee likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

A couple of our biggies here in WV are Gino's Pizza and Spaghetti House and Tudor's Biscuit World. Lots of people around this area like Bojangles for chicken, but I prefer Chick-fil-A. I second Bev with Five Guys for a burger. And I also love me a good Waffle House breakfast.

wvsandy likes this.
  7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm no help as I rarely do any chains other than DD (Dunkin Donuts) just cause I like to say DecafDoubleDouble. Plus I get that free birthday iced coffee. LOL

8. BevG

I know!!! Only about 700 calories per shake. I usually try to share with someone. The blueberry cheesecake is my second favorite from there.

bellbird likes this.
  9. bestcee

This I haven't heard of! I'm intrigued. Is it snow cone with bobas on it? I don't drink tea, so I'm totally trying to picture this from my imagination!
    Zaxby's, Blaze, and 5 guys we have, but I'll watch for Cook Out on our way!

10. bestcee

Is this a snow cone? Or is it actually water served with ice? I'm trying to picture this. And I'm a little afraid to google water ice.

Mmmm! I love me a good unhealthy cheesesteak!

This sounds fabulous! We won't be near Lima, but we will go through Lansing. Maybe I'll stop and report to you if it's good!

Oh waffle house! I totally forget those exist! Unless there's a hurricane.

You would enjoy ordering at Tim Hortons - they are DoubleDouble or TripleTriple. Although, for me a doubledouble is at in n out! I do like a fun order!

Tree City likes this.
  11. BevG

bestcee and AJK like this.
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I had the SAME questions when we moved here! (As an editor, I wanted to use my red pen on every "Water Ice here!" sign I saw. Ice is frozen water. There is no need to tell the general public that your "ice" is also "water.") Anyway, here is a link to an explanation of the various "ice" treats. Suffice to say water ice is shaved ice with flavorings/ingredients added after it has been shaved. It's quite smooth, unlike a snocone (snocones are made with crushed ice). Plus, they mention places in Lancaster and perhaps you'll be driving through there? The Lancaster area is becoming quite a food destination, actually. The Miller's Somrgasbord and the Hershey Farm smorgasbord are both fantastic ... not that they're "foodie" places lol but they're GOOD lol.

Also, I didn't realize you'd be going up through Lansing! If you travel via Grand Rapids, check out Yesterdog and Van's pastry shop. YUMMMMMM. And on the east side of the state, there's Halo Burger. (They have a location across I-75 from Birch Run outlet.) Their burgers are great and so are their shakes.

You guys...why did I reply to this thread right before dinner?
    [​IMG]

14. bestcee

@AJK Most of the people I know IRL that like Five Guys don't always have a good local place that makes burgers.

15. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Looks like @BevG covered the places in this area!

16. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Relatively speaking, we have a large Hispanic population in the Fox Cities area of Wisconsin which means we have some good Mexican restaurants, some with multiple locations. My favorite is El Azteca.

17. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

We have lots of food trucks in our area that serve up a variety of things...there are a few nights/days of the week where they all meet at the same location and serve up food. Some of my faves are Tako BBQ, 559 Tacos, Sno Cafe, and Meltdown Bistro.

18. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hmmm.... I'm not actually sure what is available here and not elsewhere, lol! Plus, we usually stick to small local NJ places and BYOB's.

These are more fast foodish... if you want local restaurants - more sit down - in the NJ area or NYC, let me know.

Yummy and so many choices: Surf Taco.
    A great mix of good food: Smashburger.
    My husband says it's really good, but I am not a fan, lol: Arby's.
    Bad For you, and not around much anymore, but really tasty and cheap: White Castle
    From Coney, but there are still chain stores around occasionally: Nathan's Hot Dog.

19. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Hmmm... local chains here. Portillo's comes to mind.... Chicago food (hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches). The cake shakes and just the plain slices of chocolate cake are really good. Sigh... now I want one.

Lots of local Chicago style pizza chains around here too... Lou Malnati's, Gino's, Giordano's, etc.

Oh... Potbelly's (subs) started here... are they anywhere else?

Dalis likes this.
  20. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Tracie, I am such a terrible Chicagoan.... I can't stand Chicago Style pizza.... NY style all the way.... greasy foldable pizza for me. LOL!!!!!!!