Recipe Managers

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by mrs2a50, Jan 28, 2020.

1. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I am still living in the print them out and store them in a binder - the ones I like go in sheet protectors. I have 3 categories: extras, main dish, and desserts. My biggest problem is that I have a bunch of things printed out but have not tried. I tend to fall back to the old favorites. I like working from a printed copy.

klee73010 and kimingvtx like this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

LOL I am with you Anne :) I like the cheap walmart paprika!

3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

lol ditto re emailing recipes to myself :) That I never make LOL

Karen likes this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I just save recipes I want to try in Evernote. Or on my hard drive.

I've also been a pretty boring cook for the last decade, not trying much new. I barely need a grocery list because all the basics are in my head. I just keep a running list in Apple Notepad of things the kids ask for or things we've run out of that I don't buy often, and delete them from the list when I get them.

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I move too much to have binders full of recipes. I used to, but yeah....:stash

6. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

I use Recipe Keeper on my iPad (there is a desktop version and they do sync but I haven't bothered with that) and cook straight from that.
    I imported all my recipes from an outdated version of MacGourmet without any problems.
    It's easy to import recipes from the web, there are very few sites that it doesn't read. It can import from a PDF or photo too but that's a little more fiddly as you have to select the different sections: title, ingredients, instructions etc.
    It does meal planning and creates a shopping list. You can't save menus to reuse though which I hope they'll put in the next version.
    You can rate recipes, the search is really good. It has courses and categories, unfortunately you can only apply one course to a recipe which I find frustrating but you can apply multiple categories.

For me it was toss up between Paprika and RecipeKeeper but I don't think I could trial Paprika first and after I tried RecipeKeeper I decided it did everything I needed and was only NZ$10 whereas Paprika was going to be $50.

7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Anything I find on line, I do screen shots since saving the 'print' version if even offered tends to include too much junk. Then I make a 1 page or max 2 (double side) .doc for possible printing if ever needed. LOL

One thing I learned from a cooking forum years ago, was to start the name with the category. ENTREE, DESSERTS, SOUPS etc. The caps make the folder of recipes easy to sort and I can always do a Finder search for a particular word/ingredient. My folder iMac Recipes lives on my HD but I keep a new Recipe folder right on my desktop and add them to my iMac Recipes folder periodically. Do I have a lot? oh you betcha! The ones I print to actually use get - either get a Tried and True note written on them and go in a binder or get trashed. Last month I started doing a serious cull of those binders. There are whole categories, types I'm no longer interested in. I have 299 recent ones to go into this folder. I call myself a Recipe Curator!! bwahahaha! btw I spend my money on ingredients, not recipes though I would love to have normal access to the NYT recipes but dh's account does not share for me.

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 11.13.35 AM.png

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  8. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Are you able to copy/paste and some how print them?

9. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I'm just taking notes... lol

I have a pinterest board or 10 for recipes.
    I got a cookbook at Pinners conference in 2015 that had 26 weeks of meal plans all laid out. We've used a lot of those over the past few years, and in that style, i saved a weekly rotation of recipes in my evernote app.
    For Christmas in 2017 maybe, i made a recipe book for my sisters that had all the 8 weeks of meal plans and recipes all ready to go.

The idea behind using Evernote was that i could access it both on my phone or computer. I liked that i could copy and paste the ingredients into a note to print a grocery list. And searching... i like Evernote's searching. What ive found after using it for over a year... I'm bored with the recipes. I hate finding new recipes. I don't copy and paste anything. But i definitely like having them all in one place. I always use the search function. And I always know where to look for ingredients and instructions.

10. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

I love love love the Paprika app! It syncs (type them on the ma , use them from the phone or tablet), scales (we have a salsa recipe that the original measurements were in gallons ), and I build my menu, grocery and pantry on- hand lists to keep them in there and shop from.

(And I like how simple it is to copy a website link and automatically import it- when I try a recipe and want to add it to the rotation its nice!)

mrs2a50 likes this.
  11. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

I had a little chuckle this morning. There was an update that added importing from Pepperplate. I guess there are a number of people in your situation and they want to capture as many as possible.

mrs2a50 likes this.
  12. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

:faint2:wine

13. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I use OneNote. I like that I can view everything on any of my devices, so I can bring my laptop, phone or iPad into the kitchen while cooking, or browse while shopping. I have a page for each recipe and everything is organized by category. I only have about 50 recipes I regularly make. It would be far less practical if I had loads of recipes. When I'm looking to try something new, I surf my Pinterest boards or look in my library of cookbooks stored in my kitchen.

14. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Ha Ha! Or actually print them out and store them in a physical folder!! :lol I may need to investigate this recipe organizer magic!

Karen likes this.