Read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by abandy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. abandy

abandy abandy

I'm in need of some new reading material.

Kindle books (free) are always a favorite... because, well, they are free.

What have you been reading (and enjoying!) lately?

2. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

3. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

You know of you have a library card, in most areas you can access their digital library system and borrow books for your Kindle, right? Bonus is that I never have overdue fees on those! They just go away at the end of the lending period.

Anyway, I finished Game of Thrones not too long ago and that's sadly been hard to top. So I've been rereading the Outlander series but, as before, I seem to lose interest towards the end of book 2.

Gone Girl and The Help are next on my list...

4. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Just finished The Time keeper by Mitch Albom - couldn't put it down, very quick read. In same genre as The Alchemist but easier to read I think.

also A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness - loved it and the sequel - more vampires but really good story line. Need to finish Game of thrones though..

5. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

i loved this book Here,i culdnt put it down,i have 2 of hers the last one is n my list next

6. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

Right now I'm reading Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews. I am really enjoying it. Oddly enough, I got it from the library and I am finding that I don't finish "real" books as quickly as I finish books on the Kindle. I think it's because I have the Kindle app on my iPad and iPhone so I read on my phone on my lunch break and stuff - more discreet than a "real" book!

Amy mentioned The Help, which I highly recommend if you haven't read it.

I got really into the Stephanie Plum series (One For The Money, etc.) by Janet Evanovich but started to get annoyed with the storyline as the books went on. Book #19 comes out in November though and I know I'll buy it immediately. Only took me 6 weeks to get through books 1-18. I recently also read Love The One Your With by Emily Griffin and enjoyed that storyline.

Sitting on my Kindle waiting to be read (or finished) are Bossypants by Tina Fey, Heart Of The Matter by Emily Griffin and The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks.

I don't read vampire-y, Hunger Games, etc. type books..

7. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

8. DoodleBop

DoodleBop Just call me Sweetcakes.

I just read the Siren by Tiffany Reisz. It was good and kinda sorta along the lines of 50 Shades, but different as well. Did that even make sense? I am now reading Bared to You by Sylvia Day and ZOMG, I think this is definitely along the lines of 50 Shades, but definitely more intriguing. I am also reading Futures and Frostings by Tara Sivec. This is the 2nd book in her series. Seduction and Snacks was the first. These books are so funny, but you have to be okay with someone really speaking their mind.

9. christineirion

christineirion christineirion

I really enjoyed Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

10. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I just finished Gone Girl on my way home from work. (Audio version) All I can say is my jaw is still dropped. Really great book!
    I've also recently read Shadow of Night (sequel to Discover of Witches) and Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs - a really cute vampire series. I'm also working on Skippy Dies, which is pretty good but took me awhile to get into.

11. KalaMae

KalaMae Member

Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth are my new favorites. The third in the trilogy is due next fall. If you liked The Hunger Games, I highly recommend!

12. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I am in the middle of "Little Dorrit" by Charles Dickens and I am really enjoying it. Not sure if you like older fiction but if you do you can get a lot of the older ones free on iBooks.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I recently read Jellicoe Road and really liked that too. I just finished a HUGE 1000 page book... The Pillars of the Earth and I really loved that one too. Defending Jacob by William Landay was another good one. That one really made me think!

My favorite of the year though was a series called the Restoration Series. The first book is called Last Light. It's a Christian series about what would happen if overnight we lost all technology... no power, no phones, no computers, etc. VERY interesting and just really great books.

14. lynning

lynning Makes wishes come true

Currently reading book 4 of The Outlander series "Drums of Autumn". There's a new book in the series coming out next year. Not sure if I'll get the rest of them read in time. I flew through the first two books. Book 3 went ok. Just having a hard time finding time to read now that school has started back up and I'm not spending all my time sitting in a lawn chair watching the kids play outside.

15. julia

julia julia

I just started The Kitchen House and so far really like it :)

16. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

I agree about Bared to you,totally fifty rip off but once again has me intrigued to read the next one