Re-scrapping a whole book???

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by djp332, Feb 13, 2017.

1. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I started digital scrapping in 2010. I went to Alaska in 2011 and made my first digital book with those pictures. At the time, I loved it. Now I cringe when I look at it.

I used a program that wasn't compatible with templates, so I didn't use any. I didn't know how to edit pictures, so they are straight out of the camera. I also used a different font on every page. Some pages have shadows and some pages do not.

So my question is this - Should I re-do the whole thing? I would love to. Or should I just put it back on the shelf and say forget it? Have any of you re-done a book?

2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I don't re-do... I don't mind my old shutterfly albums, but they represent me at that time, lol, and people are more immpressed with my newer albums after seeing them! :giggle

BUT if YOU cringe when looking at the book, and have the time and ability to make and print a new book, I say go for it! It would make you happy, so what is holding you back?

djp332 likes this.
  3. jk703

PS... we must have started around the same time, Donna! I started scrapping in 2010. :)

djp332 likes this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

the thought of redoing a book that is already digital makes me freak! lol I have 3 books I did using powerpoint as the program. I didn't even know digital programs existed! lol Not one element except for the strange shaped ones provided by power point! lol stars and circles. My kids love them anyways, and I just cringe and think of it as a learning process.

djp332 likes this.
  5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I have too many things I still want to do, to go and re-do something that's done, even my old (ugly)paper albums.
    But I agree if you have the time and you want to re-do it - I say go for it!

djp332 likes this.
  6. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I would never redo a big ol' chronological album but I would consider it for a smaller one like a vacation album. If I did it, I would use one template set & one kit and get it done as quickly as possible.

Tree City and djp332 like this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I have never & wouldn't re-do any of my older albums. Even though like yours- some of them are terrible- it's kinda cool to see 'where I've come from' ya know? ;) Plus- time. I have ZERO extra time these days...

djp332 likes this.
  8. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

That would be totally up to you.... sounds like a lot of work to me!

djp332 likes this.
  9. djp332

Well, I needed to find my pictures because of a CT layout using a cruise kit. So I edited a few pictures for that layout, and boy, do they look so much better than the original photos. I guess I'll see what happens now. No schedules, no due dates, just doing it whenever I get some free time.

10. djp332

I have some old, ugly paper albums, too. I think I've scanned all those pictures, but really have no desire to re-do those albums. Some of them, like my 4 volumes of Disney layouts, I just keep adding my digital layouts to them.

StefanieS likes this.
  11. djp332

Anytime I've shown my Alaska album to anyone, they do love it. But then I keep pointing out what is wrong with it, and they think I'm crazy! lol

jk703 likes this.
  12. djp332

Did you start out using the old CM software when they came out with the scbStudio for MAC? That's what I started with. It had to be the worst program ever, but at least it got me to love scrapbooking.

jk703 likes this.
  13. jk703

lol... I started with some digital software from Stampin' Up... and promptly moved to PSE after about 2 months. Then moved to PS 3 months later. I disliked limitations, lol! Yes.... at least it got you started! Mine was based on my stamping days and actual paper days. :)

14. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I've thought about doing this MANY times. Here are the reasons why: 1) I have too many other photos to scrap, and 2) it shows how you scrapped back then.

If I rescrapped everything I didn't like, I'd never get anything done! :lol

15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I just don't have the time or energy. If you so, go for it!! I will re-do a page or so if I have not yet printed the album, but otherwise, nope. Not happening.

Besides I have a 20 year gap of printed only pictures to paper scrap some day, as well as 4 years of photos still in magnetic albums (gasp!!) from the 1980s. Maybe some day when I actually retire...

16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

If it was really bothering me, then yes, I would rescrap it. You are a fast scrapper so I think you could have it done quickly.

I've decided to focus my attention elsewhere, even though older layouts sometimes drive me nutso to look at them . . . I just have thousands of photos I haven't touched yet . . . so I make myself thing about that.

Have fun!

17. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I think since it's a special album and apparently one you look at often, then if you want to, do it. But like several have said when it's time based pictures and layouts, I think your style is part of that. And I wouldn't be as inclined to re-do it.
    That said I have the trip to VA and NC to finish scrapping because I'm not happy with most of it. I've considered Lynn Grieveson's templates for maybe a majority of it, and just adding a few special ones. But whatever I need to finish it!

18. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

Instead of thinking about "re-doing" your book, think of it as "expanding" your memories of the trip!

I went to Hawaii, New Zealand & Australia in 2013. It was on that trip that I discovered digital scrapbooking & the Lilypad through Pinterest. I was so excited! I found a pin for a simple 4x6 mini-album, and I made my own! (Actually it was supposed to be a mini-album of my entire trip, but there was so much Hawaii stuff, I never got around making mini-albums of New Zealand & Australia!) It's an adorable mini-album, but it's as basic as you can get! Some photo collages, some journal cards, some journalling on the hotel paper, date stamps, alphas applied with no shadows.

I love that album! It's still sits in a place of pride in my bookcase and I show it to everyone. People love it and it has an important place in my heart because it was the first mini-album I made!

But I want to make another mini-album, this time in a Midori traveler's notebook & include everything about the entire trip. I know so much more now. I have so many more skills. I have a better idea of storytelling. There are so many more stories I want to tell that I didn't incorporate in the mini-album. I can expand my memories of that trip.

Both albums will sit side-by-side on my bookcase. I loved that trip so much, I will probably keep making more layouts & mini-albums about the same places in the future!

I say do it. You'll just keep thinking about it. You have more skills now, so show them off! Maybe even add a bit about what that trip means to you now six years later!

19. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

I am redoing the first scrapbook I made. Like you, I cringe when I look at it. This book is just a binder with pages I printed out on my own printer and then I put them in protector sheets. So it isn't professionally printed up. I have enjoyed using the more up to date kits on the new pages I'm making. So I say go for it! I often redo pages for different challenges and I figure I'll just keep the one I like the best. :)

djp332 likes this.
  20. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm too busy to re-do scrapbooks. Plus I'd hate paying for something I'd already done before. And I'm really easygoing and just laugh off my old funny-looking scrapbook pages. However, I do like Melanie's idea of expanding on the book. And someday I might have more time to spend scrapping, so I can't say I'd never re-do an album. Only you can decide! :)