Rachel's Mixed Media Challenge | JAN 2023

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by Rachel Jefferies, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

Hi Everyone - a very Happy New Year to you all !! :beat

Before I hand over to Aly who is hosting the Mixed Media Challenge this month, I wanted to announce the revamp to our Mixed Media Challenges for 2023!

Thank you SO much to everyone who completed the feedback survey - it was very helpful and helped me to make the changes that you've asked for.

There are some pretty exciting updates to the prize packages this year....
    ❤️ We will continue to have our monthly winner who will receive an $8 coupon to spend in my shop.
    ❤️ ALL participants who play along during the challenge month will receive a participation coupon which can be spent on their next order of $10+
    ❤️ Complete ALL twelve Challenges in 2023 to be entered into an Annual Draw, two winners will be picked from this draw - I'm giving away a three month Guest CT Gig (yes really!!) to one lucky scrapper and a $20 coupon to the other lucky winner.
    ❤️ Please read the instructions carefully below the challenge with more details about the Annual Draw, your Tracker and the deadlines for the challenges etc.

Here's to a wildly creative 2023!! :fruit And with that said I'll hand over to Aly!!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Hi everyone, it’s Aly (AJM) here and I'm excited to be hosting the January 2023 Mixed Media challenge for Rachel. Before we get into this month's challenge, I want to wish you all very happy and healthy 2023! Let it be a creative year!

This month I wanted to share a little of my thinking process about creating a Mixed Media Scrapbook layout from scratch. For this page I used Zinnwaldite & Emerge from Rachel's shop.

When creating a Mixed Media layout I usually start with the background paper, in this case I picked this paper, because I really liked all the textures.

image01.jpeg

Next I choose a photo, usually I already have one in mind, that I think will go well with the paper, but sometimes I need to switch.

On this page I placed my photo with the help of the rule of thirds. I use that a lot.

image02.jpeg

I really like the teabags with the gesso in the corner, but for this page I decided to blend it with an other paper, to create a blank canvas underneath the photo.

For the blending I used the gradient tool (I’m on PS CC). I used this paper.

image03.jpeg

image04.jpeg

Then I added some collage papers.

image05.jpeg

I built it up, with stamps, paint and texture, trying to create a balance and visual interest in an intuitive way, not using any rule for that.

image06.jpeg

At last I embellished it and wrote a sentiment on the label. I also added one of Rachel's brand new 2023 date stamps, as this was one of my first photos in 2023.

image07.jpeg

Challenge:
    For this month's challenge I would like you to create a layout from scratch, meaning a non template layout. If you use a photo, try using the rule of thirds for its placement.

That’s it, no further requirements, but I would love it if you also use some of my favourite elements from Rachel: stamps, collage paper, paint, scribbles and sequins.

Rule of thirds:
    The rule of thirds is an effective way to place a photo or focal point in your background so that the resulting image is much more visually captivating. It is the process of dividing a page into thirds, using two horizontal and two vertical lines. This imaginary grid yields nine segments with four intersection points. When you position the most important elements of your page at these intersections, you produce a much more natural page (in theory). Off-centre composition is pleasing to the eye because it’s typically where the eyes go first. When there is a subject or object off centre, it also gives viewers the ability to interact with that space between them.

Here's an other sample layout from Christa @cfile

image08.jpeg

Challenge Requirements:
    * Create a new scrapbook layout using at least 75% of Rachel's Product. The other 25% must contain product from another current TLP designer. The product can be currently available in the TLP Shop or be retired products from Rachel or a current designer.
    * Templates are NOT allowed for this challenge.
    * Upload your layout to the Rachel Jefferies Designs Gallery at TLP with your product credits.
    * For your challenge entry to be counted, you MUST upload your finished layout to this thread. Please link your thread to your gallery image as it helps us leave love on your layout (and validate your project).
    * No double-dipping… your layout must be created for this challenge only, no others. You must create a NEW layout for this challenge.
    * This challenge will remain open until January 31st, 2023.

Prizes and other important notes:

* All participants who post their page during the challenge month by the end of month deadline and meet the criteria will be eligible for a coupon of 15% off their next order (from Rachel's shop) of $10 or more.
    * ONE lucky random winner who posts their page during the challenge month by the end of month deadline and meets the criteria will receive an $8.00 coupon for Rachel's Shop here at the LilyPad!
    * Complete ALL twelve of Rachel's Mixed Media Challenges at the LilyPad in 2023 for a chance to enter her Annual Draw. The first drawn winner will be offered a three month Guest Gig on her Creative Team and the second drawn winner will receive a $20 coupon to her shop here at the LilyPad!
    * In order to be eligible for the annual drawings for the Guest Gig or the $20 Coupon to Rachel's shop you will need to do the following:
    * Complete ALL twelve of Rachel's Mixed Media Challenges at the LilyPad in 2023 by December 31, 2023 by 1159 PM PDT. (Featured Product Challenges and Hear My Voice Challenges are excluded from the tracker and annual draw).
    * Post the challenge layout in the appropriate challenge month thread for Rachel's Jefferies Mixed Media Challenges. We will keep an accumulative list for you in each months Challenge thread to make this easier. For example: Your January Challenge layout must be posted in the January Challenge thread and linked back to the gallery --even if you complete it in November, it must still be posted in the January Thread).
    * Complete your tracker form with links to each challenge layout by December 31, 2023 by 1159 PM PDT.
    * Note: for the annual drawings, challenge pages will be accepted for individual challenges after the actual challenge month and the end of month deadlines have both passed.
    * In order to qualify for the monthly winners coupon draw of $8 and the participation coupon you must complete the challenge during the challenge month by the end of month deadline as stated in each challenge thread.
    * Find your 2023 Tracker Submission Form Here
    If you have any questions about the Challenge please tag me @ajm and Rachel is available for any questions about the new Prize Set up or Tracking @Rachel Jefferies

Enjoy the challenge and I’m looking forward to seeing your pages!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  2. Scrap by Irre

Scrap by Irre Well-Known Member

3. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

4. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I like your revamp. Here's my layout
    [​IMG]

Lillyia, Rachel Jefferies and ajm like this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

My page to show with credits :)
    [​IMG]

6. triplejdesigns

triplejdesigns Well-Known Member

7. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

This challenge is also somewhere else. I am guessing we choose here or the other place and do it just once at one store?

8. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

Amazing challenge, I layered a few papers.
    [​IMG]

9. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

The page design requirements are different Susie, it's a different challenge and different drawings for each site as it always has been :agree I believe you are on staff at the other site so it may make sense to play there for fun if you wish, or if time is tight you may choose just to play here if the draws are more desirable for you as a non ct scrapper? :beat

ajm likes this.
  10. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Thanks for the challenge - here's my layout:

[​IMG]

Rachel Jefferies, ajm and Dady like this.
  11. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

12. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge!
    Here it is for me and I realise that to make my page, I proceeded practically like Aly ❤️

[​IMG]

Rachel Jefferies and ajm like this.
  13. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thanks for the challenge!
    [​IMG]

Rachel Jefferies, ajm and angels like this.
  14. zotova

zotova Well-Known Member

15. Pachimac

Whoo hoo!!! Your CT is my dream team!!! I'll for sure be playing!!!

Here's January!
    [​IMG]

Rachel Jefferies, ajm and angels like this.
  16. Pachimac

Thank you for reminding me of that. It will be fun to play at BOTH stores - 14 layouts of Rachel Goodness!!!!!

Rachel Jefferies likes this.
  17. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

one from me :)

[​IMG]

18. angels

angels Well-Known Member

Thank you for the challenge

[​IMG]

19. dotcomkari