Rachel's Mixed Media Challenge for May '22 + April Winners

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by alinalove, May 1, 2022.

1. alinalove

alinalove Well-Known Member

Alina here, bringing you the May challenge but first let's bring out the winners from last month.

April Winners - Congratulations to @tanteva and @honeyandcheese who are our random winners, Rachel will be in touch with your coupon soon, but not before iNSD is over, since coupons are disabled soon and lasting during the sales!

In Bloom - Use flowers to create texture on your page

May is enchantingly dominated by flowers in the northern hemisphere and I took the opportunity to turn the floral topic into your Mixed Media challenge for May.
    You can create visual interest in your pages in lots of ways, one of them is texture.
    The challenge for you is to create texture with at least 5 flowers and floral elements with an emphasis on texture in the background.
    And for you on the southern hemisphere, you are totally allowed to use foliage instead of flowers if that matches your mood better.

I prepared a layout for you to illustrate what I'm talking about. I linked the items directly here in the list following the image.

[​IMG]
    challenge-may800.jpg

When you look at the layout I used a lot of texture on the background and not as much elements on top. At least for my style :D.
    What I did for the background: (I count the floral textures/elements in brackets for you)
    Background:
    That's quite a lot of different styles and colors and altogether it creates a sweet base for the coming elements.
    All of the elements add more different texture to the mix. It's a lot and I tried to keep the overwhelm at bay by using the bigger elements in the main cluster and the smaller ones on the side clusters.

I hope this gives you an idea of how you can give your layout different textures with floral elements.

In the first comment I compiled a sweet list of kit suggestions for you with lots and lots of florals, so definitly look it up!

But wait, there is more! Here are some beauties from the team to get your inspiration going.

Marilyn did a great job in mirroring the pretty spring blossoms in her photo with the elements she chose. Stunning!
    Marilyn_Rachel-Jefferies_2022-05_May_TLP-Challenge_Flowers_square_web.jpg

Dady created a lot of intricate yummy background texture with her stamp choices to support the bold colored bird picture.
    Dady_May-challenge.jpg

Marijke chose from (I think at least) 12 collections to piece this fabulous subtly toned opus together.
    22-05_rjefferies_May-2022-challenge-TLP-copy.jpg

Roxana used my alltime fave pink with black and white. Creative choice of a paper cut as a background texture and the hint of all over script is giving this one the extra oomph.
    Every Single Moment.jpg

Recap:
    1. Create a layout with at least 5 different floral textures (or foliage if you want to)
    2. Create an emphasis of texture/stamps/brushwork in the background. Have at least one third of the page filled with background texture.

Challenge Requirements:

* Your layout must be comprised of 100% Rachel Jefferies products; 90% must be currently available in her store. You may use up to 10% of retired products.
    * You may use items from Mixed Media Monthly collections of which Rachel was a part.
    * Upload your layout to the Rachel Jefferies Designs Gallery at TLP and list the products used in your credits.
    * For your challenge entry to be counted, you MUST upload your finished layout to this thread. Please link your thread to your gallery image as it helps us leave love on your layout (and, validate your project).
    * No double-dipping…your layout must be used for this challenge only, no others. You must create a new layout for this challenge.
    * This challenge will remain open through the end of 31th May 2022.

Prizes:
    Two lucky artists will be randomly drawn to win an $8 coupon to Rachel Jefferies shop.

If you have any questions just tag me and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    pagefrocks, tanteva and mcurtt like this.
  2. alinalove

Now for the floral inspirations.
    Rachel has lots of floral elements and background brushes, overlays and papers. Here's just some visual reminders of some of the beauties.
    Starting with the background texture, this element pack has colored brushes/overlays. I love to blend them into the background, sometimes recolor them. Colored brushes make my scrap life so much easier, because they come with additional dimension.
    [​IMG]
    The coming pack has lots of inky and also colored florals in gorgeous vintage and muted tones.
    [​IMG]
    This extensive botanical brush mix is a must for this challenge. Are you like me and clip textured/subtly patterned paper to black brushes?

[​IMG]
    In this pretty brand new pack Rachel has included inked florals as paper cuts. Perfect for the mixed media art journal look.
    [​IMG]
    Heathland with the complementary purple/yellow gorgeousness is one of my faves. So much nature inspired delicacy.
    [​IMG]
    Pink is always a good idea. The pink cluster from my layout is in this pack.
    [​IMG]
    Anisoptera is highly inspirational for me. Makes me see fairy lakes and smell the cool breeze of summer nights. And it has unique background texture, too.
    [​IMG]
    And last but not least, the Look Deep Into Nature Vol2 collection is chock full with floral goodness and I couldn't pass it up for this list.
    [​IMG]
    I hope this helps you in finding inspiration for your challenge layout, overflowing with floral goodness. Have fun!

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    marijke and mcurtt like this.
  3. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the challenge Alina.

[​IMG]

alinalove likes this.
  4. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Congratulations to the winners!

Here is my layout with a link back to the gallery. I may have used items from 15 different collections. :-)

Flower sequins
    1 floral stamp
    1 floral paper bit
    1 floral stem
    2 floral buttons
    1 floral (with bird) flair
    13 mix of flowers
    1 painted stem doodle

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    alinalove and RJMJ like this.
  5. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

@alinalove Hi!...Just thought I'd mention...Can't see the teams inspirational layouts...

alinalove likes this.
  6. alinalove

Thank you so much for mentioning it! I reuploaded the layouts and hope they are visible now. <3

RJMJ likes this.
  7. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

@alinalove Yes!...All Fixed!...Can See Those Beautiful! Layouts!!!...:cheer...

alinalove likes this.
  8. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

9. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge Alina ❤️ and congratulations to the winners!

[​IMG]

trekmom and alinalove like this.
  10. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for the challenge!

[​IMG]

alinalove likes this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

13. SanVHM

SanVHM Pluk de dag!

Congrats to the winners. Loved the challenge, used 5 flowers, leaves stamps, blended my picture with the paper background. Thx for hosting! (links in the gallery)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  14. Jess Claire Creates

Jess Claire Creates Well-Known Member

Loved this challenge. I used Captivating Basics background. Plants & Paint Wander and Explore and Flowers from Happy Happy Collage, Wander and Explore & Look Deep Into Nature

[​IMG]

alinalove likes this.
  15. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

[​IMG]

Credits:
    "New Connections"
    "Let's Remember"
    "Look Deep Into Nature"
    "Every Last Minute"
    "Those Wings Artistry"
    "Right Now"
    "Pocket Art Signature Series Kit 8"
    "Today"
    "Patina Bits"
    "welcome Every Moment"
    "Quercus"
    "Trust the Journey"
    "Zinwalde"
    "M3 Jan 19"

alinalove likes this.
  16. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member

17. alinalove

Love all your beautiful takes <3 We're close to finshing :)

18. trekmom

trekmom Well-Known Member

19. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Thank you for the challenge, and once again: thank you for picking my layout last month. This was a fun layout to make, have combined stuff from:
    - And So Here I Stand
    - We Are Shifting
    - Be Kind
    - Messy Marks Date Stamps 2022

[​IMG]

20. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar