Rachel Jefferies Mixed Media Challenge-June 2021

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by jaye, Jun 1, 2021.

1. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

Hello everyone and welcome to a new challenge month!

But first, May winners!
    Congrats to @zotova winning the $10 coupon and @Angela Toucan for the $6 product bonus coupon! Rachel will get these to you soon!

This month, we will focus on creating backgrounds using ready-made blending masks or using layer masks and a soft brush to paint in more or remove parts of a paper.

I love how richly textured Rachel’s papers are and quite often will layer one, two, or three to create something new. One easy technique is to add a paper on top of another then play with your blending modes ie. Multiply, Linear Burn, etc, and opacity to create something new.

Another easy way is to use ready made Blending Masks of which Rachel has a few in her shoppe: Hope Shines Bright Blenders, Painted Masks 1, Painted Masks 2. Add in some Impasto such as Stand Tall: Darling

Or you can apply a layer mask and use a soft brush and your default black\white foreground and background colours to erase or add colour/paper back in. I usually create a new layer, do my brushwork and then clip the paper.

This month’s challenge is to create a new background using one or a mix of the techniques mentioned above. I want to see a different background from the original so please use at least 2 layers on top of the original background paper to create something new.

To add another twist, keep your elements minimal but feel free to use plentiful paints and stamps to add to this new background you have created. You may use any number of photos or go photo-less.

Here are my steps:
    1. I started with a wood background paper from Rachel’s Pocket Art 9 as my base.
    2. I then created a new layer, painted it with a brush, and clipped a paper to that layer.
    3. A repeat of step 2, but used a different paper
    4. I used a ready made mask from the Painted Masks 2 release and clipped a paper to it and then repeated this step using different masks for layers 5 and 6
    5. I added another painted mask and using a soft brush I erased some of it and clipped a paper to the remaining mask.
    6. I then added the painted rainbow and changed the blending mode to colour burn
    7. I then used one of the pieces from Stand Tall Darling: Impasto and clipped a paper to that to create another interesting paper layer.
    8. Next up were some paint splatter marks.
    9. I played around with my layer order until I was happy with the colors and patterns showing.
    10. Added my photo and a few small elements to finish my page.
    I started with this paper from Rachel's Pocket Art 9
    pocket-art-9.jpg

Background I created using the steps above
    June-2021-challenge-paper-sample.jpg

My finished layout
    [​IMG]

Items used: Painted Masks 2, Stand Tall Darling: Impasto, Let it Go-papers, mixed media, Pocket Art 9-papers (wood background), mixed media (word art)

Quick Steps for this challenge
    1. Create a new background paper using at least 2 papers/backgrounds on top of your original.
    2. You could use ready made blending masks, gesso, and\or brushes, and layer masks to create your new background. Make sure it doesn't resemble your original paper (some showing through of your original paper though is fine)
    3. I challenge you to use minimal elements on your finished page but throw in some paint, stamps, doodles for fun
    4. Photos or photoless is fine
    5. Have fun!

Challenge Requirements:

• Your layout must be comprised of 100% Rachel Jefferies products; 90% must be currently available in her store. You may use up to 10% of retired products.
    • You may use items from Mixed Media Monthly collections of which Rachel was a part.
    • Upload your layout to the Rachel Jefferies Designs Gallery at TLP and list the products used in your credits.
    • For your challenge entry to be counted, you MUST upload your finished layout to this thread. Please link your thread to your gallery image as it helps us leave love on your layout (and, validate your project).
    • No double-dipping…your layout must be used for this challenge only, no others.
    • You must create a new layout for this challenge.
    • This challenge will remain open until June 30, 2021.
    Prizes:
    • One lucky artist will be randomly drawn to win a $10 coupon to Rachel Jefferies shop.
    • New Release Bonus Entry! If you use one of Rachel’s products released in June 2021 (a new release, M3, BYOC, and even SOSN released in June 2021) you will get a bonus entry for a chance to win a $6 coupon (should you not be the $10 winner). Please let me know if you are eligible for the $6 entry by stating “New Release Bonus Entry” when you post in the forum.
    If you have any questions just tag me and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Enjoy the challenge!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    RJMJ, Rachel Jefferies and KayTeaPea like this.
  2. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

May winners have now been announced :)

KayTeaPea likes this.
  3. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Base background from Look Deep Into Nature2. Then used two different masks from Painted Masks2 and clipped two different papers to them. Finally added another paper from Look Deep Into Nature 1 and blended it with a darken blend mode.

Here is my original background paper:
    Rachel-Jefferies_2021-06_June_Challenge_initial-background.jpg

[​IMG]

4. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

My background paper
    rjefferies-thepathimon-miscpp-08.jpg

on which I used a mask with a paper clipped on it, I also used different products with different blended mode

[​IMG]

mcurtt and jaye like this.
  5. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

This is my page. I started out with the paper shown and on top of that, another paper from the same kit, adjusted with pin-light. On top of that Painted Masks 1 with a solid paper clipped to it and adjusted with lighter color. On top of that, four different paint strokes and some stamps and stitches. Credits in the gallery.

25640A01-EFB4-46DB-840C-2F73E7B927F5.jpeg

[​IMG]

Rachel Jefferies, jaye and mcurtt like this.
  6. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

Congrats to the winners! I blended 2 papers with a mask...
    papier-1.jpg Papier-3.jpg papier-2.jpg
    [​IMG]

7. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

I love this challenge so much and all of the layouts here are gorgeous!!

I have just sent the winning coupons via PM here in the forum :clap

8. jam-on-toast

jam-on-toast Well-Known Member

Oh, this was such a fun challenge!!!!!! I had no idea where I was going with what I was doing and then it somehow started taking shape...

Here's what I started with
    rjefferies-part-sigkit9-pp-02.jpg

I added two papers - one blended and one masked and copied several times with and without oil brush stroke effect (the ridges). Added the title minimum foliage to let the background shine.

[​IMG]

jaye likes this.
  9. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I used these two papers plus a mask to create the background. rjefferies-part-sigkit10-pp-03.jpg rjefferies-lookdeepintonature2-mmp-08.jpg

[​IMG]

jaye likes this.
  10. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

WOW!! Love all these gorgeous pages!!

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Congrats to the winners.

12. alinalove

alinalove Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the sweet challenge! It was loads of fun to make my own paper! :)
    I used 2 solid papers (pink and orange) and one with markings alongside two page masks.
    [​IMG]

jaye and RJMJ like this.
  13. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

I blended 3 papers
    added a paint under the layers
    added all the elements
    rjeffries_June2021a.jpg rjeffries_June2021b.jpg rjefferies_June2021.jpg

jaye likes this.
  14. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the challenge Jaye
    I started with this background paper
    rjefferies-ohyesyoucan-pp-05.jpg

[​IMG]

jaye likes this.
  15. Cinzia

Cinzia Well-Known Member

I used 4 papers, 3 with texture to compliment the folds in the photo.

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 11.05.14 AM.png

And the final result

RJ_June21_Challenge.jpg

jaye likes this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What a great challenge, Jaye! I LOVE blending and I used 4 papers (well, one was used twice and reversed) to get the background look I wanted. rjefferies-doitforyou-paper06.jpg rjefferies-doitforyou-paper06-reversed.jpg rjefferies-doitforyou-paper05.jpg rjefferies-doitforyou-paper03.jpg rjefferies-doitforyou-final-paper.jpg

Here's my finished page - I blended the circle element too, but forgot to get a picture of it.

[​IMG]

jaye likes this.
  17. ad77

ad77 Well-Known Member

I used 4 papers and a mask from 2 kits - this month´s Pocket art: Signature kit 10 (“New Release Bonus Entry”) plus Amazing things. I tried something different than I am used to, it was unusal not to use my favourite brushes... but interesting. thanks for that challenge.
    [​IMG]

jaye likes this.
  18. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I used three papers blended to make the background paper. The page was borders with a mask that had a fourth paper.
    Here are the papers I used: rjefferies-AAM-paper02.jpg rjefferies-AAM-paper01.jpg rjefferies-captivatingbasics-whites1-05.jpg rjefferies-fearnot-collagegesso-05.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    jaye likes this.
  19. zotova

zotova Well-Known Member

20. Claire Grantham

Claire Grantham Pollywog

This was SO much fun.
    Here are my layers -
    [​IMG]

Here is my finished page, using my background - I also used new items - Painted Masks, Pocket Art 10 and Paper Pieced
    [​IMG]

jaye likes this.