Rachel Jefferies Mixed Media Challenge - JAN 2021 + December Winners

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by Rachel Jefferies, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!

I'm here to give you the info on the January 2021 challenge!

First, let's wrap up December. The winners drawn at random are:
    $10 coupon goes to ... @garrynkim
    $6 coupon goes to ... @cinderella
    - Your coupons will be delivered to you via PM from me very soon, congrats and have fun shopping, ladies!

January 2021 Challenge

This month we are going to be art journaling :flirty

Last year, I took an art journaling class, and the ONE thing that helped me the most to limit overwhelm with art journaling was limiting my supplies. At first I freaked out, I didn't think I would be able to do it, but I created a caddy on my desk with a very limited colour palette, and only the basics of art supplies.

The reason this helped was because it removed the distraction, it removed the perfectionism, it removed the decision making.

So I want you to do the same with this months challenge, we are going to build an art journal page with a limited colour swatch and limited supplies AND we are going to do it in 20 minutes or less!! Challenge Yourself, you can do it! :fruit

Challenge Requirements:
    • No more than three core colours. Blacks and Whites and Neutrals are allowed in addition.
    • No more than 10-15 elements! This includes your journaling and date stamp and photo if you are using one!
    • Try to use only one dimensional element! Try and emulate a paper page from a journal, think along the lines of overlays, stamps, doodles, painted bits, paper pieces, threads and stitches. Think about things that could be glued or collaged down and wouldn't stick out too much or pad out a closed journal book.
    • 20 minutes or less, don't think too much, use your current mood to guide you and enjoy it!
    • Your layout must be comprised of 100% Rachel Jefferies products; 90% must be currently available in her store. You may use up to 10% retired products.
    • Upload your layout to the Rachel Jefferies Designs Gallery at TLP and list the products used in your credits.
    • For your challenge entry to be counted, you MUST upload your finished layout to this thread. Please link your thread to your gallery image as it helps us leave love on your layout (and, validate your project).
    • No double dipping…your layout must be used for this challenge only, no others.
    • You must create a new layout for this challenge.
    • This challenge will remain open until Jan 31st 2021.
    Tips
    • Try using one kit to remove a lot of decision making so that you can follow your muse and enjoy the process, OR create yourself a digital 'caddy' (a folder) packed with supply pieces from your stash before you start but remember to limit yourself to 10-15 in total.
    • Consider using a Mixed Media Paper as a starting point that has a focal point, or an obvious place to start in the creative process. I chose a paper that was already collaged and stitched and 'looked for a gap' as to where I wanted to start layering.
    • Try and use a lot of stamps, overlays, paint and doodles, they can be dragged and dropped and blended and make the page come together really quickly! My page includes eight painty or overlay type elements, two paper pieces, paper tree and tape and journaling and date stamp and was created in fifteen minutes.

Here is my page for the challenge.

rjefferies-uponreflection-web.jpg

Inspiration from @Annsofie
    rj-january challenge-annsofie.jpg

Inspiration from @alinalove
    50815262221_d0bf01245c_o.jpg

Inspiration fro @jaye
    Jan-challenge-M3Oct-2020.jpg

Inspiration from @DivaMom96
    RJ_January-Challenge2.jpg

Inspiration from @mcurtt
    Rachel-Jefferies_2021-01_January_Challenge_Art-Journal_web.jpg

Inspiration from @carrie1977
    Untitled-5.jpg

Prizes:
    • One lucky artist will be randomly drawn to win a $10 coupon to Rachel Jefferies shop.
    • New Release Bonus Entry! If you use one of Rachel’s products released in January 2021 (a new release, M3, BYOC and even SOSN released in January 2021) you will get a bonus entry for a chance to win a $6 coupon (should you not be the $10 winner). Please let me know if you are eligible for the $6 entry by stating “New Release Bonus Entry” when you post in the forum.
    If you have any questions just tag me and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Enjoy the challenge!

mmbstaley, katell, Annsofie and 3 others like this.
  2. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you so much!
    Awesome challenge this month too.

3. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

4. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

5. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you Rachel, this was fun
    [​IMG]

6. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

congratulations ladies!!

7. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Congratulations @garrynkim and @cinderella I look forward to seeing your next creations with Rachel's products!!!

Now...off to make a collage!

garrynkim likes this.
  8. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

this was fun to do!
    [​IMG]

Rachel Jefferies, mcurtt, ajm and 2 others like this.
  9. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

that was a fun quick challenge. I opted for a 6 x 8 size.

just a few elements added, but love starting with a collage paper.

[​IMG]

10. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Congrats to the winners!!!!

Here is mine again, clickable back to the gallery & credits. I have 10 layers, not counting my "signature".

[​IMG]

11. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I focused on creating a 2D piece of art. I kept shadows at a minimum, thinking about "gluing" items to the page.

I followed Rachel's advice, almost, in starting with a background mixed media paper. I actually started with the journal card from her BYOC JAN 21 collection. Then added the background paper. From there, the process was intuitive. I had no idea what direction I would go...I just let the paper and my creative muse take over.

[​IMG]

12. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

As I write on the page, I often love the process of art journaling and mixed media more than the actual result. It’s perfectly fine to make a messy page that no one else but you understand. I love digital mixed media, it’s so easy to start over if it doesn’t feel right and someone else have already made the messy part for you.
    Sharing here for a clickable copy to the gallery for credits.
    [​IMG]

13. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I have always loved this cupid in the Make Art and Journal Lovers kit. Once I got all my elements chosen, I did put this together in less than 20 minutes. The eucalyptus is 3-dimensional but does smash down quite well (I have done this in physical journaling).
    [​IMG]

mcurtt, Annsofie and ajm like this.
  14. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I've had this kit for a while and haven't done anything yet. I thought this would be the perfect thing to do. I love making little scenes with stuff, so I hope ya'll like my ocean scene! Using the Salt Air bundle. And I snuck just under the wire and have 15 items. I had to remove some....

[​IMG]

15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Congratulations to the winners! I'll be back with my page soon.

garrynkim likes this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Here's my page, Rachel. I used word strips, because i would use them on paper journal pages. i didn't add my usual shadowing, so it would look like paper, I have about 12 elements and it probably only took me 20 minutes or so to create.

[​IMG]

17. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

18. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

Congrats! @garrynkim and @cinderella

Mine is about the hard lockdown we are in for 4 weeks now. Some days it's getting to me...

[​IMG]

Rachel Jefferies, mcurtt and Annsofie like this.
  19. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

20. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge

[​IMG]