Rachel Jefferies - June 2019 Mixed Media Challenge + May Winners

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by Rachel Jefferies, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

May Winners

Thank you so much for playing along in the May challenge I LOVED all of your pages!!

The winners are . . . .

$10 coupon goes to @dotcomkari :clap $6 coupon goes to @barbaraj :clappy - I'll get your coupons to you asap :)

June 2019 Challenge
    Each month I host a different Mixed Media Challenge :byay

This month we are adding clusters to our Mixed Media Pages :)

I've heard a few creative friends mention recently that clustering/layering is something that is a struggle with their mixed media layouts/art journal spreads so I thought it would be a fun thing to focus on during the June challenge.

Here are some tips from me for realistic clustering and layering for those of you that need a little help. The magic really is in the ordering of layers and the shadows that you use.

• Paint and mark making looks great as your very first layers above the base background paper. You can also add these layers effectively on top of paperie elements by clipping them to the layer beneath or 'burning them in' with blending modes such as a multiply mode. Consider if paint or doodles etc. look as though they are floating when placed over paperie layers.... Experiment trying to make these layers look as if they are following the contours of the layers beneath them. This is a bit more technical but sometimes it works better to duplicate the paper element below your paint or mark/doodle and bring it above the mark/doodle layer and clip it to your mark/doodle layer and experiment with the blend modes and opacity. This added texture can sometimes help to add more realism.
    • As above flatter elements made of paper etc. should ideally be close to the bottom of your stack/cluster. They could have none to a very little shadow applied if you want to achieve the effect of these items being glued to your background paper. You could consider items like staples, stitching and tape to 'adhere' these layers down to your background paper.
    • Then heavier more bulkier elements should be placed on the top of your layered stack/cluster and should have heavier shadows. For e.g trinkets, buttons, flowers, foliage.
    • Element placement is something that comes with practice but many swear by the rule of placement of threes to have clustering balanced. Take a look at my layout examples for inspiration and let us know if you need any help!
    Here is a page from me as an example:

[​IMG]

Credits: All New: Mixed Media Paperie by Rachel Jefferies | All New: Mixed Media Artistry by Rachel Jefferies | Make Art & Journal 3: Artists Miscellany by Rachel Jefferies | All About Him: Mixed Media Mega #1 by Rachel Jefferies | Mixed Media Monthly Nov 18 by Rachel Jefferies, Lynne-Marie, Paula Kesselring and Little Butterfly Wings | M3 April 19 Ecclectic Overlays by Rachel Jefferies | Messy Machine Stitches #2 by Rachel Jefferies. Font: 1942 Report.

And a little walk through of my creative process:
    1. I first chose a neutral paper that would complement my photo (Keaton's blue jeans and grey sweater) and then worked on the left hand side of my layout first and decided on my rough photo placement (I often change my mind and move things around so don't worry about being perfect right off the bat).
    2. Next I started layering with collage, I decided to add two paper collage photo corners, stitches to adhere them and then started working backwards. I layered a couple of different paper collage pieces down the side of my photo and colourised them with tones of blue and grey to suit.
    3. I then grabbed some stamps to put behind the right hand side of the photo to balance it out a little and to bring through the feel of the park more from the photo. I added some stamps and overlays behind and followed my tips above for bringing the texture from the background paper through my overlay. I duplicated my background paper and dragged it above my overlay, clipped it to my overlay and changed the blend mode to multiply.
    4. Next I added the wide geometrical stamp to link the left of the page with the right bridging the white space in the middle and then got set to work on my little cluster to add some depth to that side. I started with some paper bits and added a light shadow, then some messy threads with a light shadow and a leaft cluster, flower and button with some heavier darker shadows.
    5. Finished my page with a word strip and the date, added a stitch to the entire border of the page to break up the white space at the top a little and also went back and edited my under layers by adding some little red stamped stars for some extra contrast and to pick up the red in the photo and the cluster on the right hand side. DONE!
    Some pages from the captivating sistas . .

By Marilyn using my You Are Magical Collection

"For my base, on top of the background paper: two different paints, one blended as luminosity. For the cluster at the lower right: messy threads, a ticket stub, punchinella, torn ribbon. Then came the photo, tucking in a journal card on the opposing corner for balance. Back to the main cluster, added stars (spilling over the photo & paper), an arrow, word art, leaves, a flower, a resized button for the center of the flower. Some journaling to the left of the photo, some paper strips to the right of the page, fastened with thread and finished it all off with a bit of markings at the top."

Rachel-Jefferies_2019-06_June_Blog-Challenge_web.jpg

By Ferdy using my June BYOC Collection

"From the clustered overlays, I used two of them, adding bits and pieces to it. One, on the upper left side of the page, I added stitches under it, one more flower, one piece of paper, trying to make it look like one cluster. On the photo cluster, I used a lot of stuff...pieces of papers, one of the clustered overlays from the pack, wordart, messy threads, stitches, sticker...I wanted to use it all!"

suculentas-copy.jpg

And some lovely clusters from guest Carrie using some of the My Life Unscripted Series

48026888211_3deb0e8b08_o.jpg

Challenge Requirements:
    • Where possible challenge layouts must use 100% of Rachel Jefferies Designs currently available at my TLP store (Collaborations including my Mixed Media Monthly Subscription Kits and Add Ons are also ok!). The exception to this is retired products that were previously for sale at TLP. A few elements here or there from other products that were previously available prior to my retirement or freebies may also be used.
    • Upload your layout to the Rachel Jefferies Designs Gallery at TLP
    • Please also reply to this thread for your challenge entry to be counted, with the image of your finished layout linked to the gallery.
    • No double dipping for other challenges, I'd like to see brand new pages
    • The challenge will be open through June and I'll pick a random participant to win a $10 coupon to my shop and announce this when the July challenge is posted.
    • It would be helpful when posting your page in this thread that you note you are eligible for the New Release Bonus Entry (see below) and you make a note of which June 2019 New Release (or June SOSN release) you used. This would make it faster for me cross checking all the entries when making the random draw for winners!
    New Release bonus entries ..

It feels great to scrap with fresh new releases, if you are scrapping with a product released during June 2019 (either a new release or a SOSN release) you'll bag yourself a bonus entry for an extra chance to win a coupon should you not be the $10 coupon winner. One winner from the bonus entries will be picked from random to win a $6 coupon to my shop.

I can't wait to see your mixed media layouts! Please let me know if you have any questions or need help :)

dotcomkari and Ga_L like this.
  2. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Loved this challenge!
    [​IMG]

Thuria and Ga_L like this.
  3. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I :heartlub to cluster.

[​IMG]

Ga_L likes this.
  4. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

love this challenge! my page is posted, if you want to see the full credits list!
    [​IMG]

Ga_L likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Beautiful inspiration pages, and congrats to the winners of the May Challenge.

mcurtt likes this.
  6. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

Thuria, dotcomkari and Ferdy like this.
  7. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

thank you for the challenge and congrats to the winners!:clap:clap

I use the new June 2019 mixed Media bundle " all new"
    [​IMG]

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  9. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Dady likes this.
  10. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Interesting Challenge...I Guess That's True That A Lot Of Mixed Media/Art Journalers Don't Really Cluster A Lot...It Took Me Quite Awhile To Learn How To Do This Properly...At The Beginning Of My Scrappy Life...I Was Terrified To Even Try Clustering But Now...I've Grown To Like It...I Didn't Say Love It!...Blending Is Where It's At For Me But I Do Have Clustering In Many Of My Layouts...

*For This Challenge...I Was Channeling A Specific Photo...A B&W Photo Of A Very Sad Guy Who Is Looking At His Reflection Through A Broken Glass/Mirror...I Was Taken Aback By The Stark Sadness,Pain & Haunted Feeling I Had Looking At This Photograph...It Reminded Me Of My Own Pain In Many Ways...I'm Sure You All Can Agree...Pain Comes & Goes In Most People's Lives...But For Some...Pain Is An Everyday Reality That Never Goes Away...My Heart Was Intrigued With The Possibilities Of What Caused His Pain & Tears?...Was It A Break-Up?...Losing An Important Job Or Account?...Illness?...Death Of A Loved One?...Chronic Pain?...Anxiety/Depression?...Either Way I Settled For Wondering This As I Created My Layout...Trying To Acknowledge The Pain But Also Trying To Find A Way To Remain Positive In The Face Of Deep Sadness...And Trying To Convey Feelings Of Hope Through All Of This...I Hope That I Achieved This In My Finished Layout...

*I Know That This Challenge Is About Clustering...Now I'm Not Sure How Much Clustering Is Required For The Challenge But I Did Create 3 Small Clustering Areas In My Layout...I Hope You Can See Clearly How I Cleverly Added Extra Words To Emphasize My Theme: "Are"(Adding An A To The Letters In The Paper & The Paint In Behind & A Flower Too) "So"(Using A Piece Of The Scatter As An O) & "Sad"(With The S & D Already Being There In The Design Of Rachel's Pieces...I Added An "A"...To Make The Word Sad)...

*For My Soul Searching Layout-I Used:Make Art & Journal No.3:Artists Miscellany & Sunshine In Her Soul-Rachel Jefferies

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Congrats to the winners :) Thank you Rachel. I love playing with your goodies :)
    [​IMG]

Dady and Ferdy like this.
  12. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thanks for this challenge
    [​IMG]

13. Thuria

Thuria Well-Known Member

Thanks for this challenge. This is exactly what I love to do!
    [​IMG]

wvsandy likes this.
  14. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Thanks for the challenge! Love clusters!
    [​IMG]

15. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Congrats to the winners!
    Thank you for the challenge Rachel.

[​IMG]

dotcomkari likes this.
  16. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Clustering is fun - I used your new kit You are Magical and the All New Cluster from June BYOC.
    [​IMG]

17. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

18. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Taking Another Stab At This Challenge!...Creative Clustering Is Something I Should Do More Of...So In The Spirit Of This Challenge...I Did Focus In More On The Clustering Aspect...And A Little Bit Of Spring/Summer Sunshine...

For My Sunshine Glow Layout-I Used:

*M3 Mixed Media Monthly-May:Make Art & Journal No.3:Artists Miscellany/Sunshine In Her Soul/Sacred Time For Ourselves-Rachel Jefferies

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  19. lm44west

lm44west All You Need is Ice Cream

[​IMG]

Great challenge. I used the you are magical kit

20. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

I had fun doing this old picture of my great grandfather's sister, circa 1904
    [​IMG]