Question re templates - do you save all versions the template comes in?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by cfile, Sep 7, 2019.

1. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I'm an Artisan user so I mostly just download page files. But I do have some psd files from designers who have included templates without page files. I use an action in PSE to get the png layers and convert to a page file template. Once converted, I delete the psd and png files.

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

@cfile you inspired me.

I just went through and resorted some photos that needed to be put into the correct folders. I just dump phone photos into a holding folder and move them later. Evidently I miss a large chunk of time and had a bunch to sort from 2011 to 2016. But I found a bunch that I could just delete. They were photos from work that I would never scrap since they were just to document problem areas we were trying to clean up at the time. Feels good to have an empty folder :)

cfile likes this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Glad I could inspire :)

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  4. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Very strange. Do you get it every time you open a TIFF? I've been using a Mac since 2010 and don't have any pop ups when opening. When I go to save, I get a dialogue box that defaults to what I use, but PSDs do that too.

To answer the original question, I only download the TIFFs (when given the option), if the templates come as a bundle, I delete the unnecessary files.

I also go through and assign a color to the layers (if not already done by the designer) and reset the shadows to my liking (or delete the shadow layers).

cfile likes this.
  5. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

This. I use Photoshop, and only save (or only download in the first place, if given the choice) the PSD files.

I used to also save the PNG files, but eventually realized that this was a waste of space on my hard drive. If I want a certain element/layer, I can always grab it from the layered PSD template.

cfile likes this.
  6. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

If you're trying to conserve space, TIFFs are a better alternative to PSD files since they are significantly smaller in file size.

cfile likes this.
  7. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I use SBC+/Artisan. I download the zips for all of the various files. The zips live on my office computer and on a bunch of flashdrives. When I unzip a zip, I delete all of the files except for the .page format. However since I never delete the zips I have access to the other file formats. At some point I may switch to PSE and will need the .psd files.

Also the Affinity Photo app uses .psd files. I have Affinity on my iPad and need to learn to use it to scrap with.