Question about tagging in Adobe Bridge?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Kat, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I'm working on organizing all my files. I use bridge most often to view and pull in scrapbook files. So I set up some keywords. I went to tag a folder, for example, by designer name so if I search that designer, it'll pull up all her folders. I also set stuff up like by month or holiday or BYOC. So for those I want to tag the entire folder not each element.

It appears I can tag elements and papers and such but not folders. Says it can't hold the XMP. Does anyone know if this is an error or am I screwed? lol. I don't want to tag each element. I may tag some but if I tag every single thing I'll be here until I'm 80.

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Could you tag the preview?
    I gave up on Bridge. But I know Cheryl uses it! @gonewiththewind

See Cheryl? You need a video tutorial on Bridge!

3. Kat

I almost tagged Cheryl b/c I was thinking it was her that gave me this idea.

Tagging the preview is a good workaround. I have tagged the folders using Mac tags but I wanted more in depth tags like the designer names. I haven't been lucky with searches in Bridge since the most recent update. I search for alpha for example (nothing is tagged yet) and I get maybe two folders when there should be 20 or more.

bestcee likes this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Hey @Kat !

You cannot tag an entire folder or set of folders. To tag by designer, you will have to go into each folder, select all items (CTRL+A works great for this) and then add your tag.

What I usually do it go into the folder and select the contents. I will first tag by the designer and then the store while everything is selected. Up at the top right, you'll have the ability to sort the contents of the folder, and I use SORT BY TYPE. This will pretty much group everything together, papers and elements. I then will select the papers and tag those, and then select the elements and tag those.

I have been going into the folder and just tagging the preview as well, as that's a great way to get a feel for your entire collection then.

And yes, @bestcee , I do need to make tutorials for Bridge. I run out of time!

bestcee likes this.
  5. Kat

Control+A is a great tip... I didn't think about doing it like that. It's super overwhelming to think of creating a tagging system with this much stuff but I think in the long run once it's done it will be worth it. I'm going to try to knock out a folder at a time. I've got most of my previews changed over which is a huge help and I have tagged folders using the mac tags. There is something new in the recent update of bridge so it's super slow loading and the search feature doesn't work as well, but hopefully this tagging will help.

I would LOVE a tutorial if you do ever get time. I could probably record something as I go... but it might not be as organized and I couldn't sing while I work b/c that might scare everyone away, lol.

gonewiththewind and bestcee like this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'll see what I can pull together as far as a tutorial.

If you have the option of moving your Bridge cache off your main drive, that might help with the speed. I did that before I got my new computer and it was a huge help. Go to the very bottom of this Adobe page and it will show you where to change your cache location: https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/using/adobe-bridge-cache.html

Kat likes this.