Question about online backup

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by JillW, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I have used Backblaze to back up my EHD's for years. I have noticed, however; that when it's doing a backup it really slows up my system.
    I now have it set up to backup through the night (instead of continuous).
    Since there are only a couple of folders that I ever add to (scrapping and my photos) - I'm wondering if I should change what's being backed up so that it only backs up those few folders, instead of backing up everything every single day?
    I'm curious to hear what other online backup users do ... please chime in and thank you in advance!!

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I installed as much RAM as my iMac would accept, so that probably helps. I let Backblaze back up everything -- computer and three EHD's -- and have no slow down.

3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I just started w/Backblaze and am still in the initial B/U process as of right now ... but I'm curious and will be watching!

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I don't notice a slowdown when BB backs up my EHD or my laptop (my EHDs are basically all mirror images of each other so I don't feel the need to back up all of them).

Do you notice what is being backed up that's causing the slow-down? Some file type only associated with NVIDIA was causing a tiny slowdown when I did my initial backup so I added that file type to my excluded list.

5. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

I've used Carbonite for years. I back up my computer and one external hard drive. I haven't noticed it slowing my computer down.

6. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

I use Carbonite as well and haven't ever noticed any slow-down.

7. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

HUGE slow down! Crazy slow - it takes several minutes for the internet to load even …

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yikes! That sure doesn't seem good Jill. I hope you can figure out a way to eliminate that slowdown. I don't use an online backup, so I can't offer any help.

9. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@JillW - have you changed Internet Service Providers recently? Your ISP may be throttling your internet connection and that may be why the internet is loading so slowly during your backups. If it's not your ISP, it might be a virus or trojan or a driver conflict that's causing your problems. That's all I can think of... sorry I'm not more help.

I really need to get an online backup going again. I tried Mozy several years ago and between it and my ISP, everything was unbearably slow. I've been gun shy to try again, but now I have a different ISP and faster internet so maybe Backblaze would be an option now. Right now I just backup to my EHD.

10. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Have you scanned for viruses, malware etc? Thats what caused my slow down.

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I've used Backblaze for over 5 years, and haven't noticed a slowdown when it's backing up.
    (Except one time. That one time I was running Photoshop CC, Lightroom, in Adobe Connect, and backing up on my laptop. I don't attribute that to Backblaze, since I'm pretty sure Adobe was hogging all my RAM.)

If your initial backup is complete, it shouldn't take it long to check the folders. Really, that's all it does is check what you have versus what was there when it checked before. Then it updates the new stuff.

When it slows down, open it up, and see what it says is the file backing up currently. That may help narrow down where the problem is.