Quarantine Hobbies | pad patter 4.21.20

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Apr 21, 2020.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

The Coronavirus quarantine can be boring, but it doesn't have to be. Luckily, we as digital scrappers can scrap the time away and there are lots of other things we can do too.

Sew masks - I just picked up a kit of 100 to help our church and local medical centers make 5 million clinical use masks. Wish me luck. I haven't sewn for several years. I'm gonna enlist my two girls to help me... hehe
    [​IMG]

I've also been cooking/baking more and gave the bushes out in front of our house a haircut yesterday, so now I can add chief cook and gardener to my list of quarantine hobbies.
    [​IMG]
    I wish I would have had a machine like this to help me.

In addition to digi scrapping, what hobbies have you turned to during this time?

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

eating, napping, drinking, puzzle-making.
    Wait..did you say "new" hobbies, as in, I didn't do them before SIP? Hmm, now I'm stumped. :giggle

This isn't a new hobby but it is something that I'd been neglecting: putting my printed photos into albums. I have 200 prints from our Europe trip all in order. I ran out of time before dinner to actually place them in the album, but at least they're organized. I'm a stickler for labeling them, too, so it takes time. After Europe is in an album, I've got 2019 to put away. I'm hoping to do it tonight, after all public school-sanctioned at-home education is taken care of. (I'm a stickler for nomenclature; what my kids currently do for their public schooling is not homeschooling.)

Is "rearranging furniture" a hobby? I would never risk my health or the health of others by going to a hardware store for nonessentials so we're not doing any big projects/renos, but I am moving furniture around. No store trip needed, and it makes the space feel new! :) I also have a bunch of frames sitting around that need to get on the walls. So happy for Command picture hanging strips! I bought a box at Costco like a year ago. There are a ton left.

Lisa B likes this.
  3. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

I have mostly been scrapping. I have a set of 15 cards on my art desk waiting for the finishing touch, and I am knitting a poncho that I have mostly lost enthusiasm over. I have watched a lot of Agatha Christie and read a few books. Plus, trying to do some purging since I am a hoarder by nature (Covid-19 hasn't helped with that either) so I want to come through this with less, not more.

4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Life is fairly similar for me as regards to what I do with my time, except the children are around more and the attention they need. They share most of my hobbies, so there's always fun and games going on in that area. The community stuff I normally do when they are in school is simply replaced by supervising the children.

5. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I dug out the jigsaws - 500 or 600 piece ones any larger is too big for me. I have a special board which has little drawers either side which is great. That is all packed away again as I want to sew some curtains for my craft/computer room as I bought the fabric last year for this project and I should get it done.

IMG_6176.JPG

6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

As far as hobbies, I don't have any new ones. I've been scrapping a lot and trying to get some things organized. We're homeschooling now and I take over with our GS (3rd grader) for the last two hours every day to give my DD a break. I've actually enjoyed spending quality time with Asher. We take a couple of walks every day for "PE".

7. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

No actual new hobbies for me either. I am gardening again and we have built raised vegetable beds down the side of the house which have been on the to do list for a while now. I'm reading more, baking again and taking classes.

8. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

ummm......sleeping but that’s nothing new for me

9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I can't say I've picked up anything new even though I'd like to. I'm still working most all day from home while making sure my son and granddaughter get their assignments done. I have been able to get some painting and cleaning out done, but nothing new. I'd really like to find time to try knitting again, maybe once we are in a really good routine with school and the kids are sure what they need to be doing...both my own and my school kids.

mcurtt likes this.
  10. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

With DD and DH all day at home, I have less free time than before. I only go for a walk alone for an hour every afternoon and I scrap in the evenings.

11. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Like you a Kayla, mask making would be my new hobby. You will find it gets easier with every one you make. What a great project ❤️❤️❤️❤️ your church is doing.

I find that I’m reading fewer books but spending more time reading news articles.

12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I've been continuing studies in Textile Arts. Today I did my first "Eco dyeing" project. I have to wait to see if it worked or not, it has to dry! LOL
    Next will be rust dyeing- have n't done that in a long time. Working on second mixed media jacket, this time it is black & white with a lot of text and geo patterns. :)

wvsandy likes this.
  13. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

drinking...
    [​IMG]

I kid... kind of! ;)

My kids school is a bit ridiculous lately so I can't get even my normal hobbies done, let alone clean house or keep a regular schedule. UGH. Is it summer yet?

[​IMG]

Me... NOT A TEACHER. Thus the drinking...
    OH YEAH... We also got a puppy...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nelly is a handful but super cute!

14. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

That is awesome! What a great way to help out, those masks are desperately needed.

No new hobbies here. And one of my main hobbies -- reading novels -- just isn't working for me these days. I now have three novels on the go, but can't seem to focus enough to finish any one of them (too much anxiety, I guess). But baking, scrapping, and doing family history research are keeping me (relatively!) sane.

Today, after looking up causes of death [where available] for people in my family history database who died in the fall of 1918 [and yes, "influenza and pneumonia" was the recorded cause of death for many of these folks), I spent a couple of hours reading local newspaper accounts of the influenza epidemic of 1918 (I can read newspaper articles and genealogical records, just not 300-page novels!...). Initially, politicians and public health authorities downplayed the seriousness of the deadly virus, and insisted there was nothing much to worry about. And then, in early October 1918, as the mortality rate increased dramatically, they did an about-face, sounded the alarm, and started to shut things down. They shut down schools, theatres, churches, sporting events, retail shops (with the exception of grocery and drug stores)...sound familiar? It was an interesting reminder to me that while this COVID-19 pandemic is an unprecedented situation for us, it is hardly an unprecedented event when viewed through the lens of history...

15. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I am working from home so I find that I have less time and what time I do have I want to just sit and vegetate.

16. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

1. We are remodeling
    Walls down, moved electric, painting
    2. Sewing curtains from fabric bought at essential sell food also thrift store!
    3. Crocheting new stitches
    4. Homeschooling again a hobby I didn’t want to do - but it is more busy work. No grades at all.
    5. Scrapping covid in a project life format (have always wanted to do ok)
    6. Extreme shopping and cooking from the things I find there.
    7. Very intense bible study. Solidifying my foundation of belief with biblical truths.
    Being out of church is really my hardest hurdle.
    8. Rearranging furniture! Oh yes I am!!
    9. Purging closets, drawers and more.

AJK likes this.
  17. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Nothing new and I don't have a lot of extra time since we already homeschooled and we are just keeping up our normal school schedule. Since extracurricular activities are canceled my kids have had some extra time - they've been taking some drawing and chess courses on-line. With the little bit of extra time I've had, I've cleaned and organized some things (that's sort of my hobby!). I spend most of my extra time outside sprucing up our yard. We've lived here for almost 5 years and we've been slowly clearing out our land. So I can do that without having to go and purchase anything.

18. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@Scrapping with Liz 2020 will also be known as the year with unprecedented curb appeal!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I watched a couple videos on hand lettering today and ordered a book. Debating on if I should get pens. DD owns a gazillion already. She offered to help me pick out some....

20. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

It feels like I am doing what I did before - introverts unite!
    Crocheting as it's gotten cooler, binge watching, scrapbooking, cooking, baking, cleaning, organising, hanging out at the Lilypad, playing Township on my phone.