Purging Kits/Supplies

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by rdjrneace, Jul 23, 2017.

1. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Wanting minds want to know --- do you purge your digital supplies?

My style has changed however I seem to be so reluctant with deleting items off my EHD. I have items from back in 2007 when I first started digital scrapping and I have not touched them in years.

I actually just went in and deleted a few items and honestly it was like I was throwing away my favorite comfy pjs. Why is it so hard when I have not used them in years.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

wish I could give you an answer. My main EHD is full, and I am facing this soon. but... it really is sooooo hard!

3. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

We had this conversation a while back. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I hate clutter in any form. I am an AVID delete-r.....

When I started I grabbed every freebie out there....many nothing I would ever use. I've since deleted them all. And now I know my core style so I don't even buy or download freebies unless I know I will use it.
    I also go through my older stash periodically and see if things still fit my style and if not, DELETE!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the freedom of purging both in digi and real life. I usually purge out rooms and old clothes 2 times a year.

4. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I know right....
    I still have lots of stuff on an old EHD that I never use. But it's too difficult to just delete it all.

In real life? I'm both. At home with my own stuff, I always thing "but what if...". At school (work), I'm very easy: anything that doesn't work, is ugly or isn't getting used needs to go.
    Today I cleaned and tidied up my "office" at home. It was lovely. I threw away lots of school stuff that I felt I needed but hadn't used once since I brought it home with me. So out it went. And now I'm sitting in my lovely clean and spacious room. lol
    But I'm not gonna delete my digital school stuff, even though I know I'm never gonna use it. I just might one day... you never know, right?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  5. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

So...I delete, delete, delete!!! It has to be a really awesome kit, a basic that I will use over and over, or Project Mouse for me to keep it.

Now, I wasn't always like that. One thing that I used to do is take all of the things that I was thinking of deleting and put them in a folder. If I didn't touch that folder in six months to use anything, I deleted the whole folder...no excuses.

flowersgal, caspad, cinna and 2 others like this.
  6. LoveItScrapIt

That's good advice for those that are on the fence about deleting....

7. LoveItScrapIt

Yes another on the "dark" side with me. DELETE BUTTON ACTIVATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    upload_2017-7-23_19-28-31.jpeg

Christina W likes this.
  8. rdjrneace

I am definitely a purger in real life; I have a small house and can't stand the clutter.

I do like the idea of putting everything in a folder that I am thinking about deleting. I also find that I never have enough string or ribbon I really like so maybe I will keep those items in a folder.

9. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I try to go through my folders at least every 6 months. I just did a purge last month.

The purges seem to be getting harder for me. I don't want to delete kits that are for CTs that I'm on. But I know there are some that I will never use again, like a deer hunting kit.

10. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

I used to think like that too, but the reality is that there will always be another birthday, summer, winter, Christmas, spring, etc. kit.

djp332 and bestcee like this.
  11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Nope, I don't purge my digi supplies. I will delete individual items occasionally, when it's something I'm sure I'll never use, but that's rare. Instead, I just keep replacing my EHD whenever it gets full, which has been only every few years. I also haven't been adding as much to my stash in recent years as I used to. Many years ago I used to eagerly collect as many freebies as I could find, but I don't do much of that anymore, especially if it's a designer outside of TLP. I'm committed to this place. :love

bestcee likes this.
  12. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Oh, this is me. I STRUGGLE to delete anything, BUT I've gotten much better about grabbing new things. I only use goodies from here (and one other designer that I just can't quit, LOL). That said, I keep everything I use from our awesome designers. It's painful to get rid of them, LOL.

And... I'm that way in real life as well. My DH purges. I hold on for dear life :rofl

londoncuppa likes this.
  13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love the feeling of a good purge...here and in my home. But, for some reason it's harder for me to do with my digi supplies. I did a big one a while back and it felt great, but I'm seriously due for another.

14. Lena Gardner

Lena Gardner Designer

I'm not good about purging.

I will say this, though. Tab and I talk about this often--digi supplies have a shelf life. Sure, not all of them. But the styles do change! I sometimes go to scrap with something I bought (or designed!) 12-18 months ago and already am not pleased with bits of it. (often the size or variety, etc.)

bestcee likes this.
  15. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

My keyboard is missing the "delete" key when it comes to purging. Hoarders forever!

gracielou and enjoyyourpix like this.
  16. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I don't really delete, but when I need a new hard drive, I don't necessarily transfer everything over.

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This 100%! When it comes to general kits, I'm getting much better at deleting them, because there will always be another and it will be one I *HAVE* to have.

If it's a less common theme, I will hang onto it!

This is what helped me purge a bunch of kits. Sometimes it's the word art feels dated. Sometimes it's the colors feel dated. Or sometimes the designer retired, and I realize their style is not my style now. And when my style comes back around to that, I'll probably want some new things.

18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I also have gotten rid of practically every freebie from when I started, especially the ones that I don't like the quality.

I think what really helped me feel confident in deleting was the idea that if it were clothes and taking up space, I wouldn't have a problem getting rid of those things that weren't my style anymore. So, I don't need to hold onto digi supplies that don't "fit" me anymore.

It was hard the first time I did it, and I did the 6 month folder thing. I deleted that folder after 3 months, because not once had I gone to that folder. It became easier once I realized I could find what I liked better.

And I'm realizing that it's time for another purge! It's been too long, and my hard drive is filling up.

Tree City likes this.
  19. rdjrneace

Last night I sat down and went through 5 folders of my kits (I organize by type of kit) and started deleting (actually deleting) and boy did it feel good. I realized that I had alot of stuff I knew I would never use again so I just deleted it. I found a few that I had actually forgot I had. I also decided to delete some alphas that came with kits that I was not crazy about.

bestcee and Tree City like this.
  20. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

^^^This.^^^ I really started purging when I realized I needed more EHDs (I always have at least 3). I figured that, rather than buy new EHDs, it would be cheaper to delete freebies I'd never use along with older kits that didn't fit my style anymore (or kits that were so old that they weren't up to today's quality standards). And I also know that my Kits folder is filled with stuff I really do like.

Plus, going through your stash every once in awhile is a great way to inspire yourself for future LOs!

bestcee likes this.