Pumpkins...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jdesai, Oct 26, 2011.

1. jdesai

jdesai Wonders what's in a name?

Show me if you've carved or decorated pumpkins for halloween/fall. I am not good at carving so DD and I decided to use paint colors, yarn, feathers and some pom pom balls. Here's what we ended up with. :)

[​IMG]

Let me know if you know of a good carving tutorial. I'd like to give it a try again next year.

2. nativescrapper

nativescrapper nativescrapper

those are cute! I havent carved a pumpkin in years. I just usually watch my brother with his little girls. But that is such a good idea.

3. Micheline Martin

Micheline Martin New Member

Suuuuuuuuuper cute hun, we painted ours too. I'll be back in a tiny bit to post them. I think they turned out really cute :)

ETA: here they are, both kids did everything themselves, except for cutting the holes to stick the mr. potato head stuff in
    [​IMG]
    Pardon the cruddy non professional picture lol

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  4. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Those are adorable Jenna! I think I might try that this year! :beat

I follow Pumpkin Masters style of carving, which is pretty simple. Cut a lid or a hole in the bottom. Carve out the innards, then tape a pattern onto the pumpkin. Trace it, using a poker, onto the pumpkin. Then cut from center outwards.

Here's a good (and short!) video showing the basic ideas and techniques:
    http://www.pumpkinmasters.com/video.asp

By no means am I a good pumpkin carver, but this is what we've done the last 2 years:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

Super cute you guys!!!

6. kimbytx

kimbytx New Member

those are so cute! We have not done ours yet. My husband usually carves them with a pattern or we have used the Mr. Potato Head faces or Light Bright type faces too.

7. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Wow, these are all adorable! And Heather!! :notworthy

We carved our first and only pumpkin last year, and we won't get one this year since both DH and I will be on a (different) business trip on Halloween, so we didn't see the point. :( I'll keep an eye out on this thread to get my pumpkin fix though!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  8. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

Wow, these are so awesome! I wanted to get a pumpkin last weekend, but never got around to it.

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I just did this page of our pumpkins from last year. We have a kit we bought years ago at Michaels, but it sounds a lot like the way Heather does it. You tape the pattern on the front and poke holes with this fun tool and then cut along the pattern lines. My hubby usually does all the work, but last year my 6 YO did his own. They have plastic cutting tools that are safe for reasonable aged kids to use. I even let the 4 YO do some on his own. :)

[​IMG]

10. renee82

renee82 renee82

Oh wow! These are so awesome girls!

Micheline, what a great idea to use the Mr. Potato Head! I love it! We've yet to carve ours... that's what we're doing this weekend. :)

11. Micheline Martin

They are from leisure farm from last weekend ren, it was too packed to decorate there so we did it at home :)

12. Dana

Dana Dana

these are amazing girlies! i haven't ever carved my own pumpkins - or even decorated them! LOL! but, this weekend i'm home alone with the girls (DH is headed to vegas for a guys' trip), so i told the girls we would try to do something pumpkin related! i'm not sure yet where i'll end up - haha!

13. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

Heather, how are you going to follow "By no means am I a good pumpkin carver" with that Spongebob picture!? That's amazing.

We got 2 mini pumpkins 2 days ago that are already wrinkling from the heat and sun :( No carving this year.

14. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Pardon my terrible photo:

[​IMG]

Last year I used a drill for a fun polka dot effect. It was super easy and really fun. We're going to carve some this weekend. I'm going to do something I saw on pinterest... the site seems to be down right now so I can't link to it, but basically you paint a haunted house in black and cut out where you want windows to be. It looks really cool!

15. Brynn Marie

Brynn Marie Brynn Marie

So my pumpkins are totally fake lol. We do have some real ones though that the kids are going to paint this weekend! The glitter ones are from Target...I got them on clearance last year for like 70% off!! The little pumpkins are from Micheals...I carved out the bottom so they would sit on the glitter pumpkins then used white puff paint to add the spider webs. The other two bigger ones are also from Micheals...the polka dot one I just used white acrylic paint on and the D monogram one is actually kinda a hybrid project :) I used a sheet of the zebra print duck tape, printed a D in reverse from Jacque's Back in Black alpha onto the back, cut it out and carefully placed it on....sorry for the horrible phone pics...
    [​IMG]

Don't mind the scratched door...that is getting fixed today :)
    [​IMG]

And a close up of the D
    [​IMG]

And this is my cousin Sarah's pumpkin...which I love but I don't know if I would ever have the patience to carve lol
    [​IMG]

16. Micheline Martin

DUDE your pumpkins ROCK wow!

17. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

Brynn, those are so cool! Since you all had me thinking about pumpkins, I made pumpkin cupcakes last night! They are so good!

18. jdesai

jdesai Wonders what's in a name?

These are all amazing! Mich, those mr. potato head pumpkins are so cute. Heather, thanks for the tutorial. I'll have to try carving next year. Brynn, love those black pumpkins.

19. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

We typically do three sets of pumpkins. We get large pumpkins and carve them with the Pumpkin Masters designs. Then my kids each choose some small pumpkins to paint. Then I get to have fun with pumpkins.

I made these pumpkins back in 2009 and also 2010. I haven't really felt well this year or else I would have totally done them again this year. All they consist of is spreading glue on the pumpkin then rolling them in glitter. I posted this as a tutorial on my blog back then which is why they picture is all fancied up. It was the "cool" thing to do back then :giggle
    [​IMG]