Pulling my hair out!

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by zenjen, Jan 28, 2016.

1. zenjen

zenjen PIkes Peak Paradise

I have a question about splitting 24x12 layouts into 2 12x12's.

I currently use a 24x12 layout template to make both sides of my P52 weeklies because I like to see both pages together at the same time as I design/scrap.

BUT I like to post in the gallery as 2 12x12's AND I'll need 2 12x12's to upload to a printing site.

I am sure I'm splitting them the "hard" way. I choose everything from one half and drag it all to a new 12x12 blank layout, but it copies over HUGE and I have to resize and kind of guess by hand where the corners are to line it up, etc.etc.

There's gotta be a better way!

Please help!

2. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I use paintshop so I'm not sure this will help. I'll save the 24x12 just in case. I will crop the layout to 12x12 and save that size as one name then go back, undo and move the crop. Save that half as another name. Like I said don't know how photoshop works.

3. zenjen

Thanks:) Do you mean on the .jpgs? I should have clarified that i am trying to preserve both sizes in a .psd file. So later I can make changes to both sides if needed. But I guess I could change the 12x24 and re-crop if necessary. Maybe I'm making this too hard, lol

4. carilyne

I thought of that as I posted. I've done it on a jpg. I don't know about a psd but you could try it as long as you preserve the original size. But for submitting to the gallery you can do it on a jpg and probably to the photo book site as well. So my first test would be save the 12x24 psd. Merge layers then do the cropping on the merged layer or actually it offers you the chance to save as jpg. I'm not sure I'm a lot of help. But no one else was answering. And I could try.

5. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

1 I first go into the history window and click the first tiny icon on the bottom (create new document from current state) so that I don't have to back track to do the other side.

2 Next, from the new document (which is identical), I go to Canvas Size and change 24 to 12 but before clicking ok I change the "anchor" to the left side/middle (see screen shot "left"). Then I save and close.

LEFT1.jpg

3 From the original layout I once again go to the history window and hit that first icon again.

4 From the new document I repeat step 2 but this time I change the "anchor" to the right size/middle (see screen shot "right"). Save, close, all done!

RIGHT1.jpg

lorryfach likes this.
  6. zenjen

7. AllisonPennington

8. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

I just draged a box around the one side, copied combined and made a new document from clipboard. And pasted
    this worked good for forum post

[​IMG][​IMG]
    (left --> right - each clickable)
    together

moc28.jpg

AllisonPennington likes this.
  9. carilyne

I think she is trying to make 2 12x12's Out of a 24x12

10. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

11. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

You could also create a new blank 12 by 12 and select all the layers from one side and copy them to the new blank. Then do the same for the other side. This will give you three psd. One 24 by 12 and two 12 by12.

DeniseB817 likes this.
  12. AllisonPennington

I should note that the process I outlined above will keep all your layers like I think you want and literally take 2 minutes TOPS.

Hope you've figured it out. xoxo

13. zenjen

OMG...OMG...OMG This was a breeze! TYTYTYTYTYTYTYTY @AllisonPennington You just shaved so much time and frustration from 49 more weeks of a project! Here's my MOC #28 split the easy way!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bestcee and Scrapping with Liz like this.
  14. zenjen

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help, love Lilypad for that reason, everyone is so friendly and kind!

15. AllisonPennington

Yay!!!! I'm so glad it helped!!! Beautiful family! <3

zenjen likes this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'll have to try this! I just {save} crop with a 12x12 square, save the left side, then ctrl + Z and repeat for the other side.

17. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

that's what I do to. Will give other suggestions a whirl and see if they seem any quicker.

18. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

My process is very similar to what Allison described. I change the canvas to 12x12 using one side as an anchor. After saving the files, I just UNDO back to the 12x24 and repeat the process for the other side. Her idea of duplicating the file at the beginning helps ensure you don't accidentally save over your original. Maybe I'll start doing that too.