.psd vs. .jpg files

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by tuttle, Mar 19, 2015.

1. tuttle

tuttle New Member

Hi ladies! I'm curious . . .
    do you hold on to your .psd files or just save your finished pages as .jpg?

I've been scrapping since 2006, but have kept all my .psd files. I have print ready .jpg copies as well. I'm starting to run out of storage and starting to put all my .psd's in the trash . . . but I'm having a hard time getting around to emptying my trash.

Feeling like I'm a little crazy about this . . .

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I print my pages. I do 5-6 books a year. Once I print, I delete the psd (I now use tiffs). I save the high resolution jpg. I figure if I have to redo it...which I seriously doubt I ever will, I will want to use my new things anyways.
    hit that delete button be free

3. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Once they're printed, I let them go. The psd files, that is - I will keep the jpegs forever. Dump them! You can do it!

4. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I delete the TIFFs once they're printed.

5. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Right now I have a 3 terabyte my book, and I keep everything. Psd, high def and web saved in folders by year. I don't have everything printed yet Soooooo...

Once in awhile when I'm unmotivated I will go back and look at my earlier stuff. Sometimes I get a sudden urge for a total do over and sometimes it just makes me happy to look at them....

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I still keep my .psd files after scrapping since 2006 too. I know it's crazy and that I probably should get rid of them, but I have on numberous occassion gone back and opened those .psd files. Sometimes it's so I can check what font I used on a certain pages, sometimes It's to copy a section of a certain layout and sometimes it's to fix typos (which I obviously wouldn't need to do after I print). So far I haven't run out of space on my EHD, but I do have a separate one that I move my old .psd files onto once a year or so. I figure if that old EHD goes bad and I lose those files I won't care.

7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I delete once printed. Right now, I have a heck of a lot... I need to print my 2012 yearly book. Can't wait to do that, just need more funds that aren't going to my kids, lol!

8. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

I'm a deleter, with regular digi scrap pages I always put the layered tiff in the recycle bin and delete them every few weeks. With project life I delete them as soon as they're printed because I've been known to go back and change something. I never, ever delete the jpgs though. Those I back up several places.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  9. emileem

emileem Active Member

I really need to do this. I just printed 100 LOs from 2007!!! Didn't even think about this, thanks for the reminder

10. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Never keep my psd files.

11. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Even as I am reading this my tummy gives a little turn, LoL I can't make myself delete .....The early files are not even labelled , or tagged properly, I don't think I could actually find any specific thing, if I spent a month looking for it anyway, but delete.......that hurrtsss

12. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

I saved them originally because I thought I might use the design again with new papers and photos, but I have seldom if ever done that. Now I save them so that I can snag a photo from them to either share or reuse. Especially, with my PL photos, if they are nothing special I have been deleting them as soon as my weekly page is done, but if they work for something else at a later date, it's nice to grab them from a psd file. If I start to run out of storage space, I will put them on an external hard drive before I let them go. I delete my jpgs though once I've printed. Those could be recreated in a jiffy if needed since I still have the psd.

13. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Hhmm,, something that has been on my to do lost for a while now. I also save both right now...

14. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

I also keep both, but I'm a hoarder when it comes to anything related to photos! :)

15. martha51891

martha51891 New Member

Oh dear Heather, I also think I save too much stuff. I think I'm part hoarder in all areas of my life - at least my digital scrapbooking can be an unseen mess! One part of me thinks the .psd files seem like a fairly harmless thing to save. You just never know when you might want/need to refer to them for info, inspiration, etc... I liked Karen's suggestion to move them onto an old EHD. If it goes, it goes - let the universe decide if we should keep them. But then the other part of me thinks it's just more "stuff" weighing me down, hanging over me, leaving me wondering if/when/how I should get rid of it all. Will I ever really need/want to go back to them? My typical style is to keep trying new things anyway. For me, having looked at the various responses, I think going forward I'll have an intentional plan - maybe deleting them as soon as I've printed my stuff and I know I'm satisfied with it, or maybe within a set time frame after printing. The old stuff is harder to deal with because I didn't have a plan and it's not very organized. But going forward, I think I need to let it go...

16. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I love your thought process and justification...this quote in your paragraph made me pump my fist and yell yes! yes! yes!

17. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

One of the many many nice things about automated online backup is, even if I delete something, I can get it back through CrashPlan. If I print a book and then delete a bunch of TIFFs, then later think of some reason I should have kept them... who cares? I can get them back.

18. tuttle

tuttle New Member

I love it! From the "Oh dear Heather" b/c it felt like a big hug from an old friend, to the hoarder & unseen mess! My husband is slowly but surely teaching me to purge, but I do it with great consideration and care. ;)

HA! yes! I'm not the only one! :) Solidarity!

I hear you - I love to go & check out what font I used. And I can't even begin to share how many typos I had on pages that I had/have in galleries! But overall, I just went through every.single.psd. and made the shadows all uniform in direction b/c it was driving me batty. I also renamed everything so I can find what I'm looking for quickly. Part of the problem was I am scrapping on computer #since 2006 and b/c one is a Mac, I had all this crazy organization happening across 2 computers & 3 EHD's. UGH!

Thank you for the encouragement! I am planning on dumping as soon as I figure out if I need to readjust them for bleed if I print photo books.

19. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

I don't keep my PSD files at all...If there are mistakes, I usually just let them go. I figure it makes it more "real" that way, LOL

20. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have a hard time deleting anything... I keep the .psd files and always have. BUT... I'm running out of space on my macbook so I've been deleting them off of here as soon as they're printed. I can't let things completely go though, so I copy them to our personal cloud before I delete. I have no idea why I feel like I need to keep them... I NEVER go back and open those files again....ever! Sigh....