printing help needed...

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by tkradtke, Feb 17, 2015.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Can anyone point me to some good posts/tutorials about how to print 3x4 pocket cards on 4x6 sheets and have them centered properly? I just got my printer and just started printing, and it has taken me no less than three attempts each time I've printed to finally get a print where I didn't lose something important around the edges (and even then, it wasn't very centered). I use PS and I'm printing on a Canon Pixma.

Thanks!

2. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

Hi Tracie! Double-check to see if you have the "Print Extension" turned off in the printer dialogue that pops up. I think the Pixma software has changed since mine came out, but in mine when I bring up the print options screen the first tab lets me pick "borderless printing" and then the size I want. Out of the box the Pixma will then enlarge/extend your images slightly so that it can print edge to edge - which will throw off the sizes on your cards. But across the top there's also a "Page Setup" tab, and in that one, about halfway down the tab (at least on mine) there's an "Amount of Extension" slider that I slide all the way over to the left - which equals "no extension". That way it won't enlarge your images at all and everything should print exactly as you have it set up on your screen.

Mine looks like this:
    [​IMG]

HTH!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  3. tkradtke

Thanks so much for the help Peppermint! I must have missed a download when I was setting up my printer because the only dialog box I get is a pretty generic mac box... I was surprised how few choices I had. Going to try to figure out what I'm missing and then follow your instructions.

4. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

It's possible that you have to download the software from the Canon website. I'm on a Windows PC and I can use the printer without installing anything but I lose all the options.

5. tkradtke

No matter what I do, I can't find that option! I've been downloading from the canon website, but I just found my set up disk that came with the printer (my son set my printer up and threw this disk in a drawer :-/ ). I'm going to try it this time and see what happens. It's making me a little crazy 1) not being able to find that option and 2) having to print, adjust and reprint every time I want to print something out. The manual shows the option... I just can't figure out how to get it to show up on my computer. Thanks though for your help!

6. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Tracie, Are you printing from PS?
    In PS if you click Print (Ctrl/Cmd + P) it brings up a menu with some quick formatting. Select your printer from the menu. In the Printer Setup box there is an option to click on Print Settings.
    Also notice the image I am printing on the left. Click and hold the mouse to move it where you want it. This helps me the most when printing.
    [​IMG]
    When you click on that it will allow you to advance to the more detailed settings page.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  7. tkradtke

Thanks so much for the screenshots and the help Trista. It just confirms that I have something missing/wrong on my end. When I go to print in PS it looks similar to yours...

[​IMG]

But, when I go to print settings, I get this rather sparse window...

[​IMG]
    (Please forgive the photo vs. screenshot, Grab and I were not getting along this afternoon)

I'm just not sure what I did wrong when I set everything up.

8. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

When you toggle the Printer window what printers do you see? In some instances when you have more than one type of the same software there will be multiple copies of the same printer to choose from. The newer version would likely be called Canon MG5500 Series (1) or even (2). I have had this happen when I did not completely uninstall old software.

9. tkradtke

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!! That solved it! There was a series 2 choice... and when I selected it, I had more choices (still doesn't look like your photo, but lots more options)! I have stuff to print today, so I'll do some playing with the extension settings.

10. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I get the same box and I think the print dialog is just different on the newer ones. You can scroll through a list where it says "Media and Quality" though and find what was on the others boxes. It's just a different setup, I think.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015