Printer Woes, but good news!!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by KatrinaHunt13, Aug 15, 2018.

1. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

So, I am an Epson printer girl, that's all there is to it. Once we switched from HP it was love at first print.

I have had my wide format 1430 for a couple of years now. One time I had a problem with the color, but I needed to do some firmware updates, etc and it fixed it.

Now fast forward to last night. I was going to hybrid scrap the evening at home away, pulling things into Photoshop, using edgers, paint, etc. I go to print out my 12 x 12 sheet and it looks like poo. So, I print again, thinking I need to make the background transparent (don't ask, it's worked before) same thing again. So a few nozzle checks and head cleanings later I am about to pull my hair out. My pinks are orange, my blues look a little teal and I am getting more frustrated by the minute. I thought maybe it was the file, so I printed on my regular size ink jet...nope that's not it.

I print my ultimate test page, a pattern paper out of a Just Jaimee kit that is saturated with black and bright colors. Didn't work.

Then I start researching and figured that they have basically discontinued this printer, so I cannot even buy a new one if I wanted to. Trust me, I was getting ready to. And then all the reviews I am reading on the replacement model or other brands were just iffy and not making me feel warm and fuzzy about spending money.

A few youtube videos later and I come across the paper towel/windex trick. Basically it's a way to manually clean and unclog the print heads. So I slept on it and thought about it all day at work.

This afternoon I decided I had nothing to lose. It wasn't working anyway, so what if I try it and it doesn't work, not a big deal. So, I tried it AND IT WORKED!!!!!!!!

I have pretty paper at my fingertips again!!!! I am so excited. This is the first time I have tried to do something like this. So now, I am putting up a note to print something from that printer every few days, just to keep it going. What happened was I got in a scrapping slump and haven't done much of anything. Lesson learned!!!

PS, now my craft area has a strong smell of windex! LOL

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Me and printers don't get along much.... It is the ink that gets me -- so $$$$. However, I did find out that Staples will give you $2 for each used cartridge you bring in, up to 10 per month.

Glad you got it working again!

3. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

The Windex makes sense now that I think about it...but it would never have occurred to me and I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try it.

4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

How cool that you were able to get it working! I tried that once on a printer and didn't have much luck, but it was probably me not doing something right lol

5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Yea for solving it! Your attitude sounds a lot like mine when something isn't working and I'm at my wit's end: I'm gonna try this cuz I can't make it more broken. :) That's how I ended up using a Dremel on a stripped laptop screw.

And hey, if your solution includes "Must hybrid scrap every few days to keep my printer happy," then I feel like you've not just solved a problem but you've won the scrapping lottery!

EHStudios and keepscrappin like this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Glad you got your printer to work Katrina! Yeah, me and printers don't get along either. Mine newest one is on a shelf in the garage. Every time I try to use it the darned thing, it jammed up. I use my hubby's now if I need a printer, but it's a pain. I had an awesome printer for years and since it finally died, I haven't been happy with the couple that I bought. Glad you took the risk - I would totally do the same thing. What did you have to lose???

7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

BOO for printer problems, but YAY for needing to scrap more to keep your printer happy! Can't wait to see your new creations.

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

So glad you got yours working!

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

oh phew! Your story was stressing me out for you, but I'm SO happy that you were able to get it fixed and working again and didn't have to buy anything new! Hooray! :)

10. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I have an old wide format Canon that I was gonna try that windex trick with. Same as you - I let it sit for too long unused - and weird stuff starting happening with the ink. Hmmm, maybe I should give it go? It's just been sitting in a closet for awhile. How long did it take and was it hard?

Glad you are back and printing again - a hybrid girl needs her printer!