printer recommendations

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by NancyBeck, Nov 21, 2015.

1. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

I have a wide format Epson that was a fantastic printer for me when I was printing my 12X12 pages at home. But here is my dilemma, now that I send my pages out to be printed and use it infrequently, it just requires too much maintenance, which uses a lot of very expensive ink. I would like a smaller printer for the occasional photo and hybrid fun that isn't susceptible to disuse.

I've done enough research to know this is a pretty common problem with color ink jet photo printers. Am I wanting the impossible?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I always feel so lost with at home printers. The ink replacement is so expensive! Right now, we have a HP Photosmart that is a printer, scanner, copier and is wireless, which is fabulous. My son eats through the ink with his printing of papercraft projects. I've rarely printed photos at home as I prefer the finish of the photos from the lab.

Good luck and I hope you find the perfect one! I'll be watching for recommendations in this thread!

3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I got my Canon Pixma for Christmas last year (I previously had the Epson wide format and I agree with what you said about it in regards to the maintenance and ink). I'm in love with my Pixma!!

I wasn't sure that I needed the multifunction, but we do use the scanner/copier quite a bit.

With the kids at home and various projects, it gets used frequently enough to not get clogged or need maintenance. And I bought this pack of ink off of Amazon and have had zero complaints so far. They print nicely and last well too. With the price of the pack, I don't mind when the kids want to do more printing or if I find something to print besides real projects (like printing props for Clara's b-day party photo booth). I get the Canon paper too which isn't a bad deal as an add-on on Amazon.

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Which Pixma model do you have? I looked at Amazon really quickly and the prices are good!

5. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have the MG5500 which seems to be a discontinued model. We got it at Office Depot around this time last year for under $100. It seems like it was significantly under $100, but I can't remember for sure.

6. NancyBeck

I like that the ink claims a 2 yr. shelf life. That's another thing about the Epson. They only claim 1 yr. and you have no way of knowing how long they've already been on the shelf before you get them.

7. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

We just got an HP office smart something or other, and it came with a certain amount of time on their printer ink subscription plan. I haven't tried printing photos yet, but have loved all the planner pages I've printed thus far. I haven't figured out how to print on cardstock yet, but the paper I have from Costco is actually kind of thick, so I've been waiting to print on some things till I figure it out (I know it will accept photo paper, so I'm sure there's a way, but I haven't tried photo paper yet either)

8. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I also have a Canon Pixma but then an even older version: 5250. It's still working great and the ink isn't too expensive (I researched that before buying! Make sure you get one with seperate ink tanks, so you can replace each colour individually.). I wanted a combination of photoprinter, regulare printer, copier, scanner and I love that it's wireless. No complains here!

9. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I have the Canon Pixma(?) MX920 that I picked up at Target for under $100. I love it. I hated buying ink all of the time, but I started using ink similar to Tracie, and it lasts so much longer (seriously). I've printed a ton of pages over the past few months and still haven't had to replace the cartridges.

10. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I have a canon pixma as well and I love that thing. I have used it like crazy this year in my hybrid stuff and I feel like my ink use has been well below what I expected. I think I am on my 3rd set of inks for this year and I print like crazy. All my pictures and hybrid stuff has been printed with it. I also get my ink at Target or office store because they will price match Amazon for me. I never pay full price for it.

11. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I agree with the ink similars. I buy at a Dutch online shop and the ink tanks are bigger and cheaper.
    I use 1-2 sets a year but I'm not a heavy printer. The more often you print, the more the ink will last.

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am another happy Canon Pixma owner. I have the MG7120 I think. I got it for about $99. I use the photo printing, the scanner and the regular printing for hybrid stuff and it's the best printer I've ever owned for all around use.

13. NancyBeck

That one does seem to rise to the top more than any of the others! Karen, does it do OK if it sits idle for stretches? That's my biggest dilemma, is that it will not see frequent use.

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I let mine sit for weeks sometimes and I've never had any problems with the first print after sitting. :)

15. NancyBeck

Yes! That is what I've been waiting to hear, I think I've found the one! Thanks, Karen!

16. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Nancy, I have a Canon MG6320 and I absolutely love it. I know you've seen my MPM cards and such printed with it, but you're welcome to come over and give a test run too. :)

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I may be reading into your post, but if you have the same hp office smart printer from Costco I do, and are having a hard time getting it to pull thicker paper like cardstock into it...
    I lightly sand the back end at the top where it feeds. Weird, but some papers just are too smooth for the rollers to grab. So I sand it, rough it up, wipe it off and it works.

*not all paper or cardstock has issues. Just a few, and printable iron on paper. I really love my printer.

18. NancyBeck

You're so sweet, Laura! I've heard so many good things about the Canon that I don't really have any qualms about it , except that I needed reassurance that it can sit for possibly weeks at a time without being used. Does yours ever sit idle for long?

19. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Sadly, sometimes MONTHS at a time...and I have never had any problems with it even after such a long idle period.

20. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I saw this and thought of you : Canon PIXMA MX922 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax at Amazon for 64.99 today. I don't know if that's a good price, but it seemed like it.