Previewing Templates

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Feb 3, 2022.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

FYI: I am fine when its say under 6 templates to just open each one up and see if its the template I want but when it comes to template sets like this does anyone have any good suggestions on how to see what each template is without opening every single PSD file? I've always used PSD files rather than TIFF files so don't know if that would solve the issue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Yes, if you use TIFF files they will show up without having to open them in your program! I love them for that reason.

3. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i save the store pic on what i buy, in bundles, times i go to the detail with in kit, to get individal.

years ago i bought a program, that makes picure view in explorier, show psd, brushes etc, as if there were a jpg

4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I know where you are coming from. I ended up switching to all tiffs for this very reason. If you can't see the thumbnail, it is a real time drain on a PC. I have noticed no deterioration in quality saving in tiff. I ended up making a special Photoshop action so I can just convert those files that aren't tiffs. It saves me a lot of time. Good luck.

5. littlekiwi

hmm now do I go to the pain of resaving all of my psd files to tiff....that feels like a big job

6. littlekiwi

ooh a photoshop action....that could be something to explore. This came about as I was about to do a final MOC layout, thought the title page of the album would be the first file so opened it up and it wasn't which was annoying

7. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Don't all designers include the JPEG image of the template? That is what I look at before I decide with PSD file to use.

8. littlekiwi

If your talking about individual jpg files I'm not sure but if you are talking about the main preview they do, these are just cases where there are so many files its not super easy to figure out which one is which/they aren't all showing in full on the preview

9. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I use tiff for this reason. They show previews so I don’t have to open them & the file sizes are significantly smaller. When I first did this & converted them all it was a pain, but an action did help speed it along. Now it’s simple to just re-save one here & there if it doesn’t already come as a tiff

10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@littlekiwi Jennifer, instead of doing all that work, bridge allows you to see/preview the PSD files. I know you said it is a hog on memory but if you only use it when you want to view template psd files then you should be fine.. view the psds then close bridge.. :) going forward, save the tiff files instead of the psd files when you download a template. Tiff files also use less space.

11. cfile

yes the designers do include a jpg of their templates. At least the desgners here at TLP do.

12. littlekiwi

it's a resource hog in general not just with memory so could be interesting on whether it works or not. The idea of TIFF's taking up less space would be good especially if/when I end up dropping hard drive/SSD capacity

cfile likes this.
  13. cfile

if you are only searching for a template, look in bridge first, find the template and # and then close bridge.. that would allow you to see the psd and then close bridge so the resource is available for other things and you know which template you want to use.

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I download both .psd and .tiff files for this reason. I know it's extra file space, but space is cheap and I'm all about making things easy for myself.

If a template set only has .psd files, I'll actually open them up and save a .jpg for each template so I can decide which one to use at a glance.

15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Most of them do. There are still some that I have to save my own .jpgs from. ;)

cfile likes this.
  16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I save the individual jpg files as well as the psd (can't use tiff in PSP). But Picasa does show psd files so I'm good even if I don't have a jpg.

Edit... like Karen I have made my own jpgs if one hasn't been included.

17. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I only ever use and save TIFFs - even with my design work. It started because the file sizes are significantly smaller, but the added bonus of the thumbnail on my computer makes it that much better.

Karen likes this.
  18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

You have ACDSee right? I can right click on a .psd file and it shows me the preview through ACDSee. I don't know if it's something you have to turn on or not, but it works easy peasy.

preview psd.JPG

I know most say TIFFs are easier. But I have a distrust of companies, and could see Adobe making it so you can only open their propriety files - PSD. So, for now, I only download those. Plus, Affinity (the other program I sometimes use) also reads psd (it also does tiff) so I figure why change what's not broken.

19. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

You need a psd viewer! As you can see in the screen shot below, almost everything in this folder is a psd file but I can see them as easily as a jpg. (I'm not in any special program or anything, just have the folder open in Windows Explorer.) I switched to Sage Thumbs about a year ago, but do your own research--there are different options, and some people like one more than another or find it works better with their computer. IIRC it did take some research and tweaking after downloading it to get it showing everything correctly. Before Sage Thumbs I used Mystic Thumbs, but it hadn't been updated for a long time and as technology moved forward it started to feel like it was slowing my system down.

[​IMG]

20. littlekiwi

I don't always view stuff through ACDSee, depends on what I'm doing at the time and whether ACDSee is actually cooperating