Prepping for 2022

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by DraeScraps, Dec 5, 2021.

1. DraeScraps

DraeScraps Active Member

This year I'm trying to get organized for MOC 2022- my favorite craft project of the year. I'm sorting and editing photos, making notes about particular milestones or thoughts, and most importantly, I'm reviewing all my digital supplies and making notes about things I haven't used in a while. I find it helpful to know what in my stash is still current in the Store before MOC starts, so I can shop a little more mindfully come January.

What are your preparation rituals? Any tips to share?

cfile likes this.
  2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I like to have some "layouts" which are photos from events saved in tiff files. That way I know it's what I want to scrapbook and if they work for any challenge I have a starting point.
    Once MOC begins I check that the kits I want to use for each collection of photos, are in the store before I start. (at least that's the theory)

DraeScraps and cfile like this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I guess the biggest thing I do to get prepped for MOC is getting all my pictures downloaded and organized and then I keep my "To Scrap" list up to date. Then when each challenge is posted, I'll just peruse my list and find what topic would go best with the daily challenge.

DraeScraps and Angela Toucan like this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

In an ideal world:
    I would have my photo stories to tell listed in an easy to peruse list. So I can check and see what I want to use.
    I would have a kit list including the store link for easy crediting. Click a link, I know it's active, in the store and good to go!

In my reality world:
    My photos will be tagged, so if I have an idea I should be able to find the photos.
    There's random post it notes on my desk of story ideas that probably don't have a photo, and if I do, it's tucked away somewhere in a pile of digital scans.
    I'll have a list of about 10 kits that I know are in store. Not including all the recent Christmas kits.

Then again, I like to scrap as the challenge moves me, so my reality world probably works better for me. I struggle when I try to make a story or photo fit a challenge. It goes quicker and easier when I let the challenge dictate the story or photo. And then I usually have more time and can tell the other story too!

DraeScraps likes this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I was looking at my Visual Order History yesterday. I think I am gonna do a bit of what you mentioned, @bestcee with the product links. Imma try! lol. I am pretty occupied with my fiber /textile work which is growing to a business. But I still enjoy digi enough to do this.:heartlub

DraeScraps and bestcee like this.
  6. bestcee

@AJK That's a brilliant way to do it quickly! I totally forget about the Visual Order History!

In case someone else can't remember, here's a post that shows you how to access it:
    Visual Order History

DraeScraps and Cherylndesigns like this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

that reminds me - my to scrap list needs some attention.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    DraeScraps, Karen and bestcee like this.
  8. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I tend to be a chronological scrapper so I always have a folder of photos to scrap next. Since they are copies, I can delete them once they are used on a page. This helps me get pages done while still enjoying MOC. If I don't have any photos in folder that will work, I will pull from recent photos instead.

I have been very lax this year in doing scrapping as I have been doing more hands-on planner and art journaling. I am still working on the 2020 album (stuck in November I think), while I only have a handful of 2021 done. So plenty of photos around to scrap.

DraeScraps likes this.
  9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I don't have much of a system for preparing other than tagging photos in lightroom that I know I'd like to scrap. Then I can call up the tagged photos first to see if something fits a challenge, before scrolling thru all photos.

DraeScraps likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love all of these organizing ideas. I guess the thing I worry about the most is that something in my stash is retired. If I haven't used something for awhile, I check to see if it's still in the store. If I haven't done it before the challenge starts, I make sure what I'm going to use is still in the store.

I use my visual orders too and the "advanced search".

DraeScraps likes this.
  11. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Boy, do I feel underprepared now!! I don't do anything to get ready for it. I already have all my LP kits organized into designers, and that's about it. Oh...wait... I do check for retired products.

DraeScraps and cinna like this.
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

THANKS! Though for me, I am not so quick, lol!

DraeScraps and bestcee like this.
  13. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

I don't know if I'll be able to join the MOC. It's hard to find the time to sit and scrap with a baby. You guys gave me lots of ideas to organise my scrapping ideas and kits. Hopefully with some prep, might be able to pop in here and there and maybe scrap a few pages.

DraeScraps, weaselwatchr and bestcee like this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

You focus on that baby and taking photos and recording memories! Of course, we love when you have time to play along, but take the pressure off of yourself right away so that when you do find some extra minutes, you can enjoy them!

DraeScraps likes this.
  15. gonewiththewind

Lots of tips here, but I think you have the basics covered. If you have good folder organization with your photos and digital supplies, you are ahead of the game.

If you do run out of time organizing supplies, then I think my biggest tip is for you to make sure that products are in the store as you scrap. You'll need to have a second window open, but searching and confirming will ease frustration of having to replace the items with something else if your first choice is not in store.

DraeScraps likes this.
  16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

That’s a great idea, I may end up doing that rather than putting pressure on trying to be totally tagged and organised by Jan 1st

17. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've completed 6 MOCs now without really doing anything to prepare. So it is doable!!! (see my siggy)

I have a zillion photos organized by date, many of which have captions I wrote in Lightroom during my weekly photo processing routine (so I can search for topics if that helps), and I'm very easygoing.

I'm soooo looking forward to this. For a second, when I started my new full time job, I wondered if I'd be able to do it this year. But I thought about how I can fit it in to my routine and I think I can. As I have for years, I'll read the prompt first thing in the morning, if possible (thanks to those who post early!), so I can think about it a couple of times through the day, then I'll speed scrap my page each evening. I watch a little YouTube every night, so that can just be replaced by scrapping. :happydance2

DraeScraps likes this.
  18. bestcee

@zakirahzakaria What Cheryl said first: Enjoy that baby and relax. They get big so fast!!!

But, Michele's tips might work for you, so I wanted to be sure you saw it! I try to give myself 30 min at night to scrap everyday during January. If I can squeeze 45, that works better. But that 30 min at least lets me get something on a page as a starting point, especially if I get to read the prompt early in the day and think about it like Michele says.

19. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Oh yeah! One more tip! Regarding the rule that we must use products currently in the store for MOC, I sort my TLP file folder by "Date Added" and mostly choose from the newest stuff I've purchased in the last year, so it's likely still in the store.

20. gonewiththewind

Brilliant!

DraeScraps and michelepixels like this.