Potlucks| pad patter 7.2.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Jul 2, 2019.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

This summer has been busy with family reunions, BBQs, and potlucks. We have 2 potluck BBQs this week for the Fourth of July and I’m beginning to run out of ideas of things to make for all the festivities. I’ve taken my potato salad, broccoli salad, watermelon, bacon veggie salad and brownies. When we’ve hosted, we’ve made BBQ ribs with Dutch oven bacon cheesy potatoes. We’ve also made street tacos and we’ve grilled hamburgers and hotdogs. So I guess my question is, what’s your favorite potluck dish? And if you have the recipe handy, please share.

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Those ALL sound yummy Kayla. We often take a big pan of homemade mac and cheese.

BevG and keepscrappin like this.
  3. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My mom's broccoli-cheese casserole is my usual go-to and what I'm often asked to make at family gatherings. I will add in the recipe tonight when I get home from work. It is the only thing I make with Cheez Whiz in it so half the time I can't remember what aisle it's in at the store. The three different grocery stores I frequent have it in three different places. :)

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Oh, and my aunt also asks me to bring my "weird" potato salad for the cook-out she has every summer. It has NO eggs & lots of dressings: mayo, Caesar, Ranch, etc.

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My current Go To: those salads in a bag that Costco sells!!! Love them! I forget the names, but one has kale, sliced Brussels sprouts, lettuce with cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and poppy seed dressing. The other has various greens (and maybe broccoli stem sticks?), feta cheese, Chinese crunchy things, and a balsamic vinaigrette.

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

7. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I have made these Chicken-Pineapple Quesadillas for a larger crowd (eating here at my home)...and you can't go wrong with Ree Drummond
    https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/grilled-chicken-pineapple-quesadillas/

I have also made skillet Mac & Cheese, the kids in the crowd love it (and most of the adults as well)
    https://www.melskitchencafe.com/skillet-creamy-macaroni-and-cheese/

I have also "cheated" when needing something quick:
    Make 1 lb spiral pasta according to package directions, drain, add 1 1/2 - 2 lbs pre made "crab salad" from the deli. Mix well, chill for several hours.

Another pasta/green salad:
    Mix 1 family size pre-made Caesar salad with 1 lb cooked cheese tortellini. Add 1/2 cup real bacon pieces. Add 1/2 cup sugared pine nuts (melt 2 tbls sugar with 1/2 cup pine nuts, stir until dissolved, let cool on waxed paper, crumble over salad). If you want to make it more of a meal, add 1/2 lb of grilled, chopped chicken. Ooooo, I think this is going into my dinner rotation this week!

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My go to dishes are:

Mac and cheese ( in a muffin tin if I'm worried about serving/forks)
    No Bean dip with chips ( meat and cheese dip that's fabulous with tortilla chips)
    Deviled eggs (depends on the location)
    Potato salad (I never make this the same way twice. Mine has eggs, potatoes and then seasoning depending on my mood. No olives or pickles.)
    Rolls (homemade)

Unless I can bring dessert. Then I always do chocolate chip cookies or brownies depending on my mood.

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Paprika chicken.
    Depending on the amount of people 1 or 2 chickens. Make sure they are clean inside,then rub into the skin as much sweet paprika as it will take, at least 3 spoonfuls, the chicken should be a red orange colour all over. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over it too. In a roasting pot melt some butter or oil, whatever you like and fry the whole chicken on all sides put a lid on the pot that fits tightly -important not to add any liquid.- put on the lowest setting your cooker can manage and simmer without opening the lid for ca 1 1/2 hour. Leave to rest and then cut into portions. In summer served with salad, in winter with potatoes carrots and gravy made with all the juice that is in your pot when the chicken finish cooking.
    Always save the juice in the pot. When it is cold scoop the fat of the top, it will settle into a jelly. Freeze this and when you are,having a boring chicken cutlets,or left overs make gravy with it and it becomes a meal fit for a king...

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I usually make baked beans.

I buy large cans of pork and beans and drain them. Then I just dump a bunch of stuff in . . . minced onion, dark brown sugar, mustard, Dale's seasoning, worcestershire and maybe a dash or two of soy sauce. The beans and sauce should be a dark brown color. I bake until most of the liquid has cooked down and the beans are thick. They are delish.

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

keepscrappin and IntenseMagic like this.
  12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

My go to would be a huge oven pan of lasagne, go to salad is strawberries, feta and lettuce.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I tend to make cookies or rocky road or a fruit &/or cheese platter

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. keepscrappin

Yum! I've never made homemade mac and cheese... just the kind in the blue box and I don't think anyone would want me to bring that. :backing

15. keepscrappin

Broccoli and cheez whiz - I gotta see this one! And "weird" potato salad... sounds interesting!

16. keepscrappin

Salads in a bag... I didn't even know about these. I'll have to remember for next time. one of the SILs is bringing a green salad, so I'll do something different.

17. keepscrappin

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. keepscrappin

I love Ree Drummond... pioneer woman is the BEST! And your cheat... genius! I'd never ever of thought to mix pre made crab salad in from the deli.

19. keepscrappin

My hubby loves deviled eggs but I've never made them. One of the SILs makes them for Easter and he devours them. Your potato salad sounds a lot like mine. Definitely no olives or pickles. Mine is simply eggs, potatoes, mayo, mustard and a few green onions.

20. keepscrappin

This sounds so yummy... a lot of work, but YUMMY, YUMMY, YUMMY!