Polly Prompt: Scrap Those Vacation Photos! Play along as I try to as well.

Discussion in 'Memory Motivators' started by lcpereyra, Mar 16, 2015.

1. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

Now that the ongoing winter doldrums have officially made me loco (where is spring?!?) I have been longing for some sunshine, blue skies, carefree days, and escaping this cold dreary weather. Which makes me think of vacations and then realizing I have so many vacation photos and memories sitting on my computer...unscrapped! And the details of those memories are fading away. Oh the horror! LOL.

I adore vacation photos and take an insane amount of photos because I'm just so happy to be having fun with my family and taking a break from real life. :) I LOVE going back and looking at the vacation photos and remembering the amazing experiences. I also have a thing about wanting each vacation trip scrapped in it's own album but then when I see the huge amount of photos to edit through, I get overwhelmed (which is not a good feeling for a professional procrastinator). I do make individual pages of random photos from vacations, as I love to do emotional pages, but that isn't the story of the vacation that I want to share - they aren't complete. And some photos aren't really great for a one or two photo layout as they just don't tell the story. But a bunch of photos complied together in an album...THAT helps me tell the story that I want to preserve and remember. THAT is what I love about vacation albums. And THAT is what keeps me from tackling the albums, LOL! :giggle

I have been feeling a strong need to get my vacation memories scrapped and permanently documented. So, I have decided to commit myself to scrap my most recent family vacation, which was in October 2014. Once that is completed, I hope it motivates me to scrap the other 2 or 3 vacations I haven't touched. To do this I need a plan and set limits for myself. I imagine (and desperately hope!) that there are others just like me who need a kick in the butt to get projects going so I'm sharing my thoughts & ideas here in hopes that it will inspire you to join me this week to work on tackling vacation photos.

My vacation:
    October trip to Disney World/Universal Studios/Family Wedding - a lot going on in a short time frame so a chaotic week with lots of memories and photos.

My plan:
    - Create a 12x12 pocket-style album for ease and constituency.
    - A hybrid album.
    - Cull through photos and edited down from 2143 images to 769 which I then edited down to 543 prints but putting making many images 2x3" and putting 2 of these images to one print in Lightroom. Yes, this is still a ton of photos, but I find it is easier to cull more down later as I am making the album and then the extra prints are saved for my kids to use for school projects, crafts, etc.
    - Limit the number of kits used. If I don't do this, I will keep looking and looking for more stuff and never get the project completed.
    - Limit the color palette. I do this as the photos are all in color and I have a thing about wanting color coordination.
    - Keep corners squared. I love rounded corners, but after 2 years of paper project life albums, I have come to realize that rounding corners takes up so much extra time and really not many people notice the difference (at least no one in my family does. :) )
    - Perfection is NOT a goal. This is a biggie for me! Not every image needs to be perfect, I can have some messy handwriting, a goof here and there is ok. It is the compilation of everything that tells the story and if I get caught up on having every cut and crop perfect, then I'm not going to enjoy this project and it will never get done. An empty album will be so much more disappointing years from now.

Here is my start to my project (proof I'm serious about this!):
    [​IMG]
    A gathering of my supplies - digi & physical.

[​IMG]
    Digital journal cards and elements printed and ready to cut.

[​IMG]
    Elements ready for customization.

[​IMG]
    Trimming photos to 2x3" from a 4x6" print.

[​IMG]
    Trimming some journal cards.

I've decided to use these kits from Sahlin Studios, Valorie Wibbens, and Forever Joy.

https://the-lilypad.com/store/Project-Mouse-BUNDLE-No.-1-Basics.html
    [​IMG]

https://the-lilypad.com/store/Project-Mouse-Halloween-BUNDLE.html
    [​IMG]

https://the-lilypad.com/store/Project-Mouse-Tomorrow-BUNDLE.html
    [​IMG]

https://the-lilypad.com/store/Pumpkin-Juice-collab_ve_em_pumpkinjuice.html
    [​IMG]

https://the-lilypad.com/store/FOREVERJOY-FUNTASTICAL.html
    [​IMG]

https://the-lilypad.com/store/photo-journal-no.1-word-art.html
    [​IMG]

As you have learned (if you have made it this far!), I am a pretty wordy person. :) All of that chatting was to hopefully show that this type of project is one that will be so rewarding when finished!

So here is my polly prompt challenge:

I would love to have you joining me this week by documenting your own vacation...either though a layout page, a double layout page or even a 6x8 or 12x12 album if you have the mojo!!! I plan on checking in here throughout the week and sharing my progress...nothing like a little online pressure to keep me focused and on task. ;)

Please note: This is not an official Lilypad challenge, and as such there is no prize. This is just a fun prompt to get you scrapping and documenting your stories and memories. This is an open challenge. There is no end date! You can post as many layouts as you want!

I hope you can join me in scrapping some vacation photos and have fun in the process! I look forward to seeing your creations!

2. VickyD

VickyD Coffee - I need an IV for that!!

Good luck with your project! Love all your kit/product choices and can't wait to see your pages as they grow into a book!

3. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

Oh this is perfect. I've been trying to get around to scrap our last trip to London before we are going again. The photos have simply been sitting on my computer since 2009 and although I've made a few attempts I've never finished more than a couple of pages.

So Project London it is this week.

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This is so much fun! I'm going to see if I can get some pictures together. I'll start with that as my first step. Then I'll choose kits!

5. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I see project Mexico in my future.... I did a 5 x 7 teplate but I think it will take too many pages to get in enough pictures. I scrapped the Orchid Garden we visitied here:
    [​IMG]

and was thinking of following this style.. I can move the photos left or right - deepnding on which side of the page and then have room for journaling.

Great idea Lori.

6. lcpereyra

Thanks! I've been cutting and trimming away all morning and it is quite meditative. :) I'm excited about this!

Ooohhh - a Project London sounds FABULOUS!!! I am finding with this last disney trip that I'm working on that I am confusing memories with past trips - oops! So my recommendation is to scrap those memories before they get intertwined with new ones, lol!!! :)

It really is fun! Gathering the photos has always been my big hurdle to starting...it is so easy for me to get sidetracked and click that internet browser and immediately lose focus. ;).

Oh wow, another exotic vacation! Project London....Project Mexico...so awesome! One day I'd love to do a Project Travel the world! haha! Til that day (never) comes, I'll look forward to seeing your projects! Love your layout and that is a great idea to shift it as needed for the journaling!

7. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I have to admit that I really need this too! I struggle with vacation albums because I have a hard time curating the photos down to a manageable number. (Need ALL the vacation photos apparently LOL) I have two Disney trips sitting unscrapped (is that a word?) right now and I know my kids would love to see them in albums. I am going to put this on my to-do list as soon as my PL is current. :)

Thanks for bringing us this awesome challenge, Lori!

8. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I'm working on my trip last fall and I can't decide between using a super simple layout, or pocket page. I know I can't do scrap pages for all of them.

9. lcpereyra

That sounds just like me! A current PL?! How does that ever possibly happen?! LOL....my PL is always a minimum of 2-3 months behind. ;)

I can't scrap all of my photos either which is why I'm opting for pocket pages. But I also am planning on putting full LO pages mixed in with the album when I want to spotlight a particular photo or story. Those I can add when I want (and already have some completed) but with the pocket pages done it will feel "complete". The only thing that would bug *me* a bit is that the full LO pages won't match color wise with the pocket pages, but I'll get over it as I'm not going to be a perfectionist about my vacation albums. ;)

I don't see any reason why you can't do both in one album! :)

10. Jen

Jen I believe in patterns & conspiracies!

This is something I soooo need to do. I'll start with my most recent trip to Maui and Oahu in February. It's a smaller amount of photos than our big vacation last summer, so maybe easier to bite off to start with. Thanks for the inspiration and shove Lori!

11. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

Okay I've made a start. I have to tell myself constantly that I need to keep it simple or I'll never get it done.
    [​IMG]

Looking back through these old photos it is easy to see that they are from before my scrapping days. My photography was pretty random at the time.

12. lcpereyra

Yay!!! That is awesome Jen! I can't wait to see your pages and drool over your photos. :)

13. lcpereyra

Jeanet - what gorgeous pages! I love the cohesive look! I agree that simple is the way to go. Any pages done are better than none. :) I think your photos look great and such a story to record!

14. lcpereyra

I've decided that slow and steady is going to be my theme with this project. It is coming along but not as quickly as I hoped. Regardless, the pages are getting made so that is good. :) Here is what I've done so far:

title page
    [​IMG]

left side
    [​IMG]

right side
    [​IMG]

left side
    [​IMG]

right side
    [​IMG]

left side
    [​IMG]

right side
    [​IMG]

insert page front
    [​IMG]

insert page back
    [​IMG]

And what the full spreads look like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

It's pages like that that tempts me into trying hybrid scrapping. Please don't tempt me. :D ;-)

16. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

:thumbsups This is such a great challenge, Lori! And what a great start to your album! My goodness, what a busy week.

I love what you've done with Krista's Project Mouse photo overlays, especially the way you created journal cards with some of the overlays. I hadn't thought of doing that! The "pure magic" word art & outline around the photo of your daughter & husband (page 8), is that a transparency or something you put on the photo before printing?

Is it odd that I'm doing 3 albums for the same trip? :blush I made a 4x4 WRMK mini-album of just photos for friends & family to flip through (those who aren't interested in all the stories), a 6x8 daily memory book for all the bits I want to remember, and a few 12x12 pages for longer stories & pretty pictures. Actually, I don't really care if it's odd, I'm doing it anyway. :stash

Keep up the amazing pages & I can't wait to see more of your album! Thanks for this challenge. I needed it!

:heartlub

17. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

Love it, Jeanet! :heartlub Love how you chose the neutral kraft paper for filler cards & journalling!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  18. lcpereyra

Hybrid is the best of both worlds. ;) But it takes me 3 times as long, lol. Still, love the hands on aspect of it so I love doing pocket pages this way. Never hurts to try it...nudge, nudge. :D

19. lcpereyra

The photo overlays - both the pure magic & the happiest place on earth word art on the tower thing are printed on transparencies. They are both in the PM Basics kit I believe. I decided to do a quick print of photos from LR and didn't take any of them into PS to add digi art. 1) it would take me way too long to go through that process and 2) I wasn't sure what photos I would ultimately use. So going the transparency route works really well for me. Also the same with using vellum (the backs of the disney tickets....lets the tickets have a somewhat clear border and then some artwork on the reverse side).

I'm all for having as many albums as you want for a trip (or anything!). :) I've been known to scrap the same photo more than once...admittedly usually unknowingly, lol!, but still, the memories are there. It's all good & fun! ;)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  20. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

Lori. What an inspiration! Great pages. I am exactly the same w my vacation photos. I take a zillion. Want to make one book for each trip. And never get around to it. I have a bunch of trips I haven't done and prob won't get to ever. I am working on my Vietnam trip which I just took. Using landscape 10 x 8 and going to print at blurb. Making it simple and graphic. Using some templates from paisley press that I have adapted. And journaling. No embellies or scrap stuff. I have 22 pages so far and still not half thru. Hoping to finish by this weekend. Let's hope ( then I can get back to my everyday scrapping. Which I miss ). Good luck with your Disney project