Please Help Me Organize My Styles In PSE

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by GlazeFamily3, Jan 5, 2019.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

My style collection is OUT OF CONTROL. I need help organizing. :helpy

I currently have all my styles loaded into PSE13. But, I have seen some of you say that you load as you need them... how does this work?

Also, is there a way to copy/ back-up my styles into a folder on my computer? I went into program data, but I only saw the styles that come pre-loaded in PSE. Because IF I can unload and just load styles as I need them, I will need this.

If I want to change the name of a style, can I do that once it is loaded or is it necessary to do that before?

I hope I am making any logical sense. I am trying to do this when I am extremely tired which may be why I am having so much trouble LOL.

LoveItScrapIt and Juliestcyr like this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I would like to know this too. I have PSE 2018. I do know that Photoshop CC has a much nicer organizer for styles and brushes (I have watched those organizing videos and my PSE screens don't match).

I only have the shadow styles loaded on a regular basis. I load and then unload any styles that I use for a specific page, i.e. like BYOC styles. I do have a spreadsheet with the styles listed and what they are: ie, glitter, sticker, cork, etc. But I would use styles more if I could get to them easier.

3. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

Yes. ohemgee, yes.

I've got my styles saved in a folder called, "PSE Add-Ons" on my backup drive. But what I really want to be able to do is rename them. I'd like to group all my various shadow styles together, so they are "Shadows - FDD, Shadows- Just Jaimee, Shadows- Mommyish," so when I'm shadowing I'm not bouncing around the list looking for the Shadow I want. Others have names that aren't meaningful for me and I just want to make the list more usable.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, I do know that in PSCC you can move things around. I did that Julie- @Juliestcyr put all the shadow styles I like to use together- all the foliage/leafs, papers, etc.

However, PSE doesn't have the same functionality. I don't remember if you can rename or not. I'll check Monday, if no one answers sooner!

5. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

You can change the name of a ASL file ( Style ) but not while in the program. You would need to do it before uploading into PSE.
    I have PSE15 on my computer but I do my scrapping in CS6. I do not think it a great idea to have all your styles uploaded as that can slow your program down. It is best to do like what Bev says she does.
    @GlazeFamily3 I am not sure what you mean by copy/back up? Are you talking about styles you have purchased or style that come with the program? If they are the purchased ones you would still have them on your computer wherever you stored them when you unzipped the file. When you upload to your program they still remain on your computer. So of course you can copy them and back them up to anywhere you choose to.

I personally have my Styles divided up into folders to make it easy when I want to upload a certain one. I have folders for example.... Glitters.... Cardstock....Stickers....Paint Effects.... etc.

Hopefully you know how to unload.... go to Preset Manager and delete the ones you want to move out of your program. The deleting does not delete them from your computer.

cfile likes this.
  6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have a folder of all my styles (meaning what you get once you unzip) in my digi Stash which is on an external. I do have all my shadow styles installed on a permanent basis in PSE15. I also keep Mommyish's 'Make a Sticker' style as well as VW's Sticker Action installed permanently because I use them both a lot.

Once in a while I'll go and look in my Styles Stash folder at all the other styles that I have...e.g. I wanted the doves on a MOC7 challenge to be puffy and was pretty sure I had the Mommyish's Puffy style. From my Styles Stash folder, I COPIED the .asl file and pasted it on my desktop. Then installed it into PSE with the Load Style dropdown and after I used it, just deleted it from my desktop. This reminds me I haven't detected it from PSE yet which I will do asap. By copying the .asl files, you don't lose them. hth

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

ETA: This is the dropdown menu load styles.png where you load and delete styles in PSE15. I think it was in PSE 11 that you became able to do this. Hallejuliah!!

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Yup! And that is when I got disappointed as PSE 2018 does not have that beautiful organizer in Preset Manager. We just have:
    Capture.JPG
    You can
    1) click the little stack of lines and switch to one of the styles I have loaded instead of the built-in ones, which are shown in this screen capture.
    2) rearrange the list of the ones shown, i.e. change the order

10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@BevG

I don't know why they changed it in PSE 2018 . . . I noticed the same thing. Hoping that the tutorial will still work for @GlazeFamily3 since she has version 12.

BevG likes this.
  11. bestcee

It looks the same for me in PSE14 as the plain one Bev has. I couldn't organize styles like I can in PSCC.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  12. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Throwing this out there...

Is there a way to modify a style and save it (same name)? I have some shadows that I got that have the "wrong" shadow angle and I always need to change it at the end and it's a pain in my behind.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. bestcee

PSCC? Or PSE?

14. Dalis

PSCC

15. bestcee

Yes. Let me see if I can find the instructions for you!

Dalis likes this.
  16. Dalis

[​IMG]

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I don't load all my styles. I have a TON.
    So just like with kits and templates, I keep them in a styles folder. Most of them are named pretty well. But I'm thinking I might rename them at some point. Then once in PS I just click load and it takes me to that styles folder, I just find the styles I want and load them up!

18. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

First you'll want to save the styles with your new settings. You do this by making your changes and clicking the new style button. That saves your style. Then you go to your preset manager and select all the styles you want in a set and save the set. Here's a video on how to save the style

And Judie tells you how to save a set in the bottom paragraph of this tutorial on the blog.
    https://the-lilypad.com/organizing-styles-in-photoshop-and-pse/

Hope that helps!

cfile and janedee like this.
  19. bestcee

Sorry! I answered you on my phone, and forgot to jump on the computer!

Love the gif reminder! :giggle

Dalis likes this.
  20. bestcee

1. Click the fx just like normal.
    2. Adjust whatever you want, in your case, the shadow angle.
    3. Press New Style.
    4. Name it as you will, and save it.
    Presto! New layer style from an existing one!

Drop Shadow Adjust.PNG

cfile likes this.