Plans for 2016?

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by tkradtke, Dec 8, 2015.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I'm hitting end of the year PL burnout. It probably wouldn't be that bad, but I have an idea of how I want to change things up for next year and I'm having a hard time not starting it now. I know that technically I could start now, but we're so close to the end of the year that I just have focus and stay on track. Plus, it'll make make 2016 a fresher start if I wait.

This plan may not sound so special to a lot of you, but for someone who has done nothing but pocket pages for several years now, it's a big deal :giggle My weeks have gotten completely out of control. I have way too many weeks that are pushing 10 pages... it's nuts and I feel like I'm losing the essence of PL and just pocket scrapping our lives in chronological order. So, I'm going back to one two page spread per week, same basic set up each week and same template set all year.

But, since having the out of control 10 page weeks, I have really realized that I don't want to give up scrapping all of my photos, so what to do with those. Those I want to start scrapping outside of PL... maybe they'll be pocket pages, maybe they'll be a more traditional page and maybe they'll just be a really big photo that fills a whole page. What I'm not sure about is what to do with those pages. In my head right now, I would like to include them in my printed PL books (possibly renamed to be a family yearbook) behind the PL week spread that they go with. I print photo books, so my worry is that I'll get behind with these additional spreads and not have books ready to print on a regular schedule (and I do want to stick with photo books).

So, my question is, do you think this would look strange as a single book... a uniform PL page with regular pages behind for each week? I thought about separating them into two books, but my husband said that he really likes looking at everything in one book, chronologically.

Is anyone else making changes for 2016? What do you have planned?

2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I'm starting :giggle that's my plan. Actually, starting with October, and already behind. Bwahahahahaha

3. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

My albums are a mix of PL and traditional digital pages, and it looks fine. I tend to mix my traditional pages in at the end of the month, otherwise I'd need 2 traditional pages for every week so my PL spreads wouldn't be split up.

4. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

Yep, I am a mixer too, hahaha! I just go with the flow and do what inspires me that week. Sometimes I do PL for weeks then some digi, then a paper page. I find I really created more once I let go of a "style" I had in my mind albums were supposed to look like.

5. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

I think the idea sounds fine Tracie! You do have to consider what Rachel said though about needing two pages of layouts at the end of each week. I'm excited to see how this turns out for you. I've always loved your PL pages!

6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

My kids love the double page spread that comes before the chronological scrapped pages..they say they are like an table of contents with pictures. I think I am enjoying them too. So, I want a bit more discipline this year...same template for the two pagers..but FREEdom for the scrap pages inbetween.

7. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Tracie.... my printing stopped because I was making so many pages per week..... mainly because I couldn't pay for so many pages....
    and this was way before PL even came into knowledge to the industry.....(or at least places where I get around)

My books are a mixture of double pagers, single ones, different styles.... but they tell the story.... I think that is the most important thing.... so, to answer your question: no I don't think it would look bad, as a matter of fact I think it will make it even more interesting...and taken your talent as a photographer, I am really really looking forward to see other than pocket pages from you....

I also think in the future you will be glad you did, scrap all the photos. :)

8. tkradtke

Thanks everyone for the feedback and the kind words! Anne... I like the idea of my PL spread being a table of contents for the photos to follow :-) Keeping things even will be something I will have to keep in mind, but it's already an issue - I just put week 47 photos onto templates last night and ended up with three pages. I think if I wasn't doing just pocket pages, I could have stretched those last photos onto a two page spread, but with pockets, they ended up on one.

Doing project life has been a fantastic, ever evolving journey back into scrapping for me. I had been an avid digi scrapper for years back around 2007, but eventually quit with nothing printed because I bounced around too much and never had a book complete enough to print (I really do love photo books). I quit completely for several years. Then I found project life and I thought "I can do this". I loved it and had a very successful first year. Throughout that year, I took more photos and wanted to tell more stories, so the next year, I went beyond the two pages per week sometimes (but still kept things in check). This year I've taken more photos and have wanted to tell more stories, I don't want to leave anything out. Hence the new plan. I'm excited that this journey is taking me back to the more traditional pages that I started with, but still keeping the simple format of PL to go along with them (plus it still gives me a place to put those random single photos). I'm excited about this plan for 2016 and thankful for all of you here at TLP!!!

9. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

Yes, this exactly. I've done this approach to PL in the past and love it. I do a spread for the week and then follow it up with any regular pages I have scrapped to help tell the stories I want to preserve. It really is kind of like a table of contents. I think your plan sounds like it will work great!

10. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I can definitely see the benefit of keeping to the same template from week to week. This is one of those things that slows me down - trying to figure out what template or layout to use for my week. I'll have to think about this...I might jump on this bandwagon :)

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm not a PL'er but I love pocket pages because of how much information you can jam into a two page spread, so hopefully my input is helpful... Lol. I do mostly traditional pages, but since I have so many stories I want to tell in my books, I started adding a "monthly misc" pocket page (or spread) at the end of every month so I could capture all the random bits that really didn't need a full page, but still needed to be captured. SO, my point is, that I totally mix traditional and pocket pages and I love the way it looks. I really love that I can keep everything in chronological order this way and I just print my book whenever I finish scrapping everything from my list. I scrap whatever I feel like (not chronologically) but I do print them in my books chronologically, so sometimes it takes me awhile to go back a finish the dreaded pages... like holidays and birthdays, before I can print my book.

12. tkradtke

Thanks for the input Karen! I think I'm going to need to start a list like you have. I really like that idea. And I like that you don't necessarily have to scrap chronologically. Sometimes I just really want to play with a certain set of photos, but my PL mindset has always been to work in order. I'm excited to be free to play with things out of order a bit, but a list will make sure I don't miss things before printing. I printed three times this year, but with my new plan, I may print four times just to keep myself from skipping certain events/pages for too long. It's always fun to reward myself with a printed book, so hopefully that will keep me motivated!

I waffled a bit about putting this plan out there, but I'm so glad that I did! You all of have been so helpful with little hints/suggestions that have turned my loose plan into something a little more fleshed out... something I can see having a better chance of being successful with. I can't wait to start 2016!!! Now just someone motivate me to finish up 2015! :giggle

13. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I know someone who always scraps two pages that go together with one kit: one pocket style layout with lots of photos and journaling and one traditional layout. And I love how they look next to each other. Now this is a little different then what you're planning on doing, but I'm sure it will look great! The combination of the two styles are really cool imo! I'd say just go for it!

14. klee73010

Tracie, if your mindset is that it has to be in order, you have to finish before moving on!!!

...idk. is that helpful or hurtful? You said motivate you. Lol I feel like that's a dangerous line. :giggle

15. tkradtke

Too funny Kristina! Tough love... that's what I need! :-) That is what I need to keep reminding myself though... I can't move on to my fun new plan if I'm not done with 2015 yet.

16. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I've purposely been avoiding this thread because I didn't want to get overwhelmed, lol.. I failed so horribly at keeping up with my first PL attempt this year that I haven't even wanted to think about next year.. I came up with a plan while I was in the shower this morning, though, that I think might work..

I've always been inspired by Maribel's large photo pages (most recent here & here) and they gave me an idea.. I'm going to select ONE or maybe TWO photos/stories to highlight each week and those will go on the left. Then I'll do a simple calendar listing of other significant events and photos on the right. I'm going to stick with 2-3 simple templates and the majority of cards will be black and white so I don't have to worry about color matching. It will be VERY simple compared to the pages I've done this year with 9,000 different templates, photo sizes, screen shots and minute-by-minute details, but at this moment in time, that's all I've got to give, lol. Maybe in some distant future I'll get more elaborate again.. :giggle

On a marginally related note, I also came up with my [first] One Little Word while hatching this plan for next year: CHERISH. Rather than letting everything get so complicated including a photo every time the wind shifts I'm really going to concentrate on memories I want to CHERISH. I'm hoping it will also keep me focused, centered and motivated in other areas of my life to really take the time to embrace the moment and be thankful for my blessings.. but that's probably an entire different thread, haha!

So.. ack.. sorry I hijacked your thread with my ramblings. But I totally support you and your scrappy awesomeness.. I'm excited to see how things pan out for you.. :) :heartlub

17. klee73010

Ooooh, I like your plan Amber. Big photos with pockets next to it. And black and white.

18. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

Amber, I'm so happy to inspire you in some way. It sounds like a plan and I like the idea. I am also trying to let go of documenting it all but it's hard. My plan for next year is to make less pages, hopefully it will work.

19. tkradtke

Hijack away! I love hearing everyone else's plans as it helps me thing about my own as well. I like your idea of focusing on the word CHERISH. I'm finding myself guilty of snapping photos of any old thing to fill up my PL pages, some of it is actually significant and some is really just filler, which is creating part of my too many pages problem. Hmmm... things to think about!

20. NicoleLeBlanc

NicoleLeBlanc Don't make me call your mother! Oh, wait ...

I'm trying to decide what templates to use. I've always used Becky's rounded templates but I'm headed to the TLP store now to see what I want to use...It's gotta be simple though or I won't stick with it!

ETA: I'm using Valorie Wibben's Pockets no. 3, no. 5 and no. 7 - all straight edge! EXCITED!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015